How to buy safe strollers, cots and other baby products

Currently, there’s no law that requires businesses to sell safe products and in some cases the ‘Australian Standards’ that manufacturer’s are either voluntary or out of date. Choosing products with the safest design is particularly important when it comes to baby products, so we’ve put together this baby product safety guide to show people exactly what to look for when purchasing a range of baby products.

Do you have a question or experience with baby products to share? Leave a comment below.

3 Likes

We used an older model and second hand Baby Jogger City Elite stroller which had reports (I think Choice also found the same in its testing) of it being unstable or easy to topple over on uneven ground.

We purchased this stroller knowing that it was the case and took extra care when using it on uneven ground.

We did find it a little unsteady, but also ensured that the little one was not left in it when it had a chance to topple over.

We also chose this stroller because we often walk 10-15km on rough tracks/grass and it was easy to push being three wheeled, smoother with the larger pneumatic wheels and also suited out needs. While there were other strollers out there which may have also sufficed (an possibly with similar or different issues), the Baby Jogger City Elite suited our needs and also became available to us as friends were selling theirs as it was too heavy and took up much of the boot in their car (these didn’t worry us).

Unfortunately we saw others with the same model stroller which appeared to no have the same level or care or knowledge of the instability when using (including watching a child in the stroller rolling down a grassed banked for ‘fun’). I wouldn’t use a stroller under such conditions as any stroller could topple under the right conditions injuring the child (either physically or emotionally).

I suppose at the end of the day, it would have been better if the stroller had been designed with a lower centre of gravity making it more stable stroller, but on the other hand, we had no problems when using it either.

I suppose the other important things to do, unless it is a newly released model, is to look at reviews of users of the strollers, cots and other baby products to see if there is any feedback on their use which may be of interest or sway ones decision to buy.

4 Likes

Dr Ruth Barker looks at popular baby beanbags and shines a light on conflicting and confusing safety claims.

3 Likes

New article: Good news for cot safety! Still more work to be done when it comes to cot mattresses.

3 Likes

Out of 12 cots, four failed our recent test, with three posing serious safety issues. However, this still represents gradual improvement.

4 Likes

A baby monitor video shows how easily an infant can suffocate in a cot.

1 Like

Hi @Fred123 I moved your post into this one about buying safe Cots, Strollers and other infant products. @BrendanMays made a comment in Oct last year (post just before your’s) about how 4 failed CHOICE testing. There are also a few other comments about Cots on the site and it seems it is still a struggle to get safe products in this market.

2 Likes