Why do I have to produce a receipt for an item sold solely through a single merchant chain

I have a pair of shoes that broke the first time I wore them.
They had been stored for some time
I contacted the chain head office and they told me that these shoes were exclusinve to their retail stores
I searched for a receipt on my credit card but could not find it.
I was told unless I could produce proof of purchase they couldnt help me
Why is this. It is obviously their product and the items are unused which can be clearly seen

1 Like

Proof of purchase? Because that is how it works.

How does the business know you bought the shoes from them, and therefore their responsibility?

Maybe an item sold is exclusive to a chain, but bought off Amazon, ebay, gift, etc.

Now possibly they have a sales record in their systems that can match your name and card used, if you provide that.

3 Likes

In general it is to determine if, when and where you bought the item. So even if the if and where parts are known without it in your case the when requires a receipt. I am not saying this is justified but trying to offer an explanation.

4 Likes

A credit/debit card charge line item for the exact amount should be enough, although you might need to press the issue. If you bought multiple items and can show they all add up to the line item that should work also.

Yes, Bunnings for one does even if one does not have an account and the info desk can search on card details given a date or reasonable range, but I do not know for how long it stays in their system. We had to ask them to do that a few years ago for a claim. If one can provide the transaction number from the card record it is helpful. Whether others do is worth an ask - excepting many front line staff either do not know how or do not want to be bothered so might take some cajoling (not pressuring as that could put them off side and unwilling to help).

4 Likes

Just a few reasons to be asked for a receipt that I can think of:

• The Date on the receipt is an indication of the length of time the shoes have been stored, even unworn shoes can deteriorate in storage after a time.
  • The Price on the receipt show the exact amount paid and if it was sold at a discount/sale price.
  • Not in your case of course, but it can happen that an item ‘walks out’ of a store and then a refund is claimed.

Anyway, wish you all success in your claim @rowdy1961

9 Likes

Because they need the date of purchase and proof the shoes were purchased from them (and not say a second hand store, eBay, garage sale, found them on the side of the road - other places they could also have been sourced and would fall outside any warranty/consumer guarantee).

You have indicated that:

Warranties and the consumer guarantees under the Australian Consumer Law start from the date of purchase, not from the date of use.

Items kept for some time before use can deteriorate. This is especially the case for shoes where glues and materials can harden, making them more prone to failing.

Business are entitled to request of proof of purchase when a consumer is after resolution under the Australian Consumer Law. Not having a proof of purchase, a business has the right to refuse providing a resolution.

4 Likes

That aspect has been discussed before in the context of trainers but most modern shoes have similar susceptibility.

Regardless if you can show proof of purchase it will not hurt to see if the manufacturer responds favourably, as did ECCO in our case.

2 Likes

how long is some time? And if they broke the first time you wore them, why didn’t you do something then, it probably would have been much easier. Regardless, why do they want proof of purchase, just like any store, firstly they want to know that you did indeed purchase them, and not shoplift, steal them from someone, or even buy them from an op shop.

Hi, Welcome to the community Boris153.

It’s unfortunate that at times as consumers we misplace or forget to keep a receipt or suitable record of purchase. I’m looking for one now for travel luggage. The seller is out of business, but not the manufacturer. I’ve a CC statement, which may or may not suffice with the manufacturer. I’m still looking for the receipt.

I suspect it was one of those emailed or SMS records of a purchase. A trend that’s now encouraged by retailers as part of their “how we can better serve you” marketing. /cynicism

1 Like

Also, how does the store know they aren’t a stolen product. Then they are losing out twice
always take a screen shot of your receipt then you have your proof

1 Like