Any experts here on the storing of trainers/runners?

I normally purchase my trainers via online through New Balance when they have a sale as its normally 30% off. When they have sales on I don’t need a new pair of shoes but I purchase a pair to store for when my current shoes wear out.
I purchased a pair a year ago and started wearing them after being stored in my cupboard in their box with tissue paper still stuffed inside. (They hadn’t been removed from the box in this time). I wore them for 3 months then last week I noticed the sole on one of the shoes. It has split and the glue has come apart they are now unwearable. I understand its well past the return date but to only wear them for 3 months seems shocking. I am a good customer of New Balance having bought at least 8 pairs of shoes in past few years. When I complained with photo’s I got this response. Has anyone ever heard that if you store a runner it starts to fall apart?

New Balance stands behind the quality of its products and we follow strict guidelines for quality control. Our quality care team has carefully assessed your item through the provided images, and they have come to the decision to decline your inquiry, as they do not consider the noted area to contain a defect; but due to duration of purchase and Please refer to our feedback as below in Yellow.

We understand that this may not be the outcome you were potentially expecting; however following our internal policies and taking everything into consideration we consider this as our final decision, we can advise that we will not take this case any further.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

6 Likes

Yes, modern materials degrade for numerous reasons including when not used. It defies common sense but reflects materials characteristics.

FWIW buying ‘fresh’ sports shoes gets a better product that will often last longer than the same product bought new, on sale a year more after manufacturing, materials dependent.

4 Likes

I have done similar where i buy 2 pairs of shoes for the sake of it. Never had a pair fall apart in recent times. Unsure what to do. Im sure other members of the community have good advice. Seems quite bad since a loyal customer. I can remember one time glue breaking down many years ago but they were okder shoes.

4 Likes

It’s an interesing question. I did a search on “shelf life of shoes” and “shelf life of running shoes” and the answers have quite some variation, but they all seem to indicate that it is not ‘forever’, which is understandable.

Their reply to me seems rather open and non-soecific - to me, lots of “weasel words” …

“Letting shoes sit for long periods of time” ? One period or multiple? what is a “long time”? How long has the shoe “sat” when you buy it? is there a manufacture date on the box? is there a warning about shoes “sitting” included in the documentation supplied with the shoes? To me it would seem to be a ‘not over yet’ situation with what feels like a dismissive response.

I have a pair of Scarpas that sat for a couple years before I started wearing them. We’re probably 6 years down the track from when I started and they are showing wear but super comfortable and supportive. Maybe time for a change of brand ? :wink:

6 Likes

Hi i had scarpa from many years ago they were exactly the same as last time I used them but when i had left them in the cupboard didn’t fit my foot. The sole was still intact. I had a pair of steel cap boots which I had worn for several years and stopped using them. Had left them on the ground. I tried them on after a while and the sole had like rotted as i found out but i am not complaining as were used. It does seem like a way they can get around not wanting to accept failure of the product. Some shoes hardly last even if one uses quickly. Some i throw out as the sole disintegrate.

4 Likes

Not sports shoes and not cheap shoes, walkers that were the most comfy ever, and since I am hard to fit I bought a spare pair, kept in the closet for years prior to the first pair wearing out beyond repair. The second pair started to degrade in less than a year after going into service. Trim had hardened and started cracking and falling off and the glued sole developed cosmetic gaps.

That is anecdotal and a case of 1 consumer with 2 pair of identical shoes. Subsequent discussions suggested regular wear to keep high tech materials flexing and thus flexible would delay degradation. It is all magical and all hearsay in my case but I have since followed the advice and have not had another ‘early fail’.

5 Likes

I prefer a trainer or running style of shoe for comfort and support. For out and about, but not in house or around the yard. Hence worn several times a week or when travelling nearly every day. I’ve not had problems with them lasting at that level of use. 3 pairs over 8 years. They have still been in ok condition and good enough to be relegated to the casual gardening role.

Salomon for the previous 3 pairs. No special care other than ensuring they air and are not left damp or wet. Now have a pair of Swiss brand ON jogging/running design. I watch for the discount/specials when it looks like the previous pair are getting too knocked about for going out.

I’ve had several pairs of cheapies from BigW used around the house when busy doing maintenance etc. They typically start to fall apart within the year.

P.S.
A further thought is that the type of sports shoe may as New Balance suggest make a difference. We’ve had in the last many years back regular gym routines. Wearing cross trainers, several brands including New Balance and ASICS they seemed to be at their best for not much more than a year. Subjectively they did not stand up as well to the rougher world of the great outdoors. Yes, they would start to shed pieces from the soles etc.

3 Likes

Is there an ethical means of disposal for shoes, to avoid going to landfill? It seems a lot of my “runners” fall to bits within a year and I do the best I can gluing them up. Mainly the soles crack or come away from the uppers. Rarely do the uppers fail.

5 Likes

Depending on how close you are or if you go near one on your travels…

4 Likes

I never knew they had drop off places seems to be a good idea. I have looked at packaging on some shoes says made of recycled materials. Pretty sure skechers use, reusable. I will call by one of the drop off places.

2 Likes

Also if your shoes are in good condition, some second hand/opportunity shops will take them and resell them. It is important to check with them and show them the shoes rather than ‘dumping’ them in one of their bins.

Yes, many rubberised/flexible type glues often used on shoes can harden, become brittle and lose its adhesiveness over time. Wearing a shoe should cause the glue to flex and keep it malleable.

When I was younger, I bought a pair of British Knights. A very expensive shoe that I only wore on special occasions. I stored the shoes at the bottom of a wardrobe in a cool, dark and dry location. I found them too hot to wear during the summer months, and after the first summer or two of being stored (maybe stored for about 6-8 months over the summer months) the compressed foam cushioning attached to the sole started to crumble and the glue had given way. I learnt the hard way that some shoes don’t store well. I try and wear my shoes regularly, but still have some leather business ones which get stored away for some time between wears. I have had to reglue them myself over the years and have used Shelley shoe glues which has worked satisfactorily.

4 Likes

I’m glad this topic has come up as I too have had all sorts of shoes disintegrate from being stored in the closet between wears. I thought that I was just unlucky. Now I know… They just don’t make them like they used to.

I was told some years ago by a person who claimed to have worked for one of the glue companies that there is no difference between ‘shoe glue’ and standard contact adhesive; except the price per gram. Consequently, I have been using contact adhesive quite satisfactorily since then. The only problem is the yellow-ish seepage that comes out when clamping the bits together.

4 Likes

It is also the case the same product is sold in different packaging at different price points for Colesworths vs Bunnings. Colesworth being a bit cheaper with a less authoritative looking blister pack.

2 Likes

Totally agree, never seen a pair of shoes with a use by date on them. How about shoes that don’t sell and have been sitting on the shelf for months? Why don’t these fall apart?

1 Like

I’ve had 3 pairs of this particular model show and stored all of them for months as I only buy them when there is a half yearly sale on. None have split like this.

1 Like

I also relegated the old one’s to garden use and they do not get used much. The old one’s have not fall apart like these latest one’s.

1 Like

My experience was years, not months.

They will usually have a shorter useful life when one starts to wear them.

But they get used, apparently. There is a difference in irregularly used and stored in situ.

There is also a difference in when a shoe is made as the materials and glue may be different, as well as in which factory a shoe is made.

Returning to the same store I tried another pair of the same make and model shoe and they did not fit well. Following up with the company they informed me there were two factories that made the shoe, and how to tell which was which. I found the make and model from ‘the factory’ and it fit perfectly. That could seem irrelevant but hopefully makes a point in how many opportunities there are for something to be ‘different’ even using the same patterns, lasts, and processes.

Your problem could be the result of age (your original question) or something so simple as a weak batch of glue, a process failure (heat or humidity during manufacture) or a substandard glue batch that was not detected.

As an aside, a separate discussion to whether shoes have a shelf life this is how manufacturers should stand behind their products!

3 Likes

I do the same thing, and I’ve experienced exactly the same issue with the soles on a pair that had been stored in their box for about 12 months.

But I have also had a problem with soles that started to detach after only a couple of months on a pair that I started to wear as soon as they arrived. I have no idea whether or not these may have been old stock.

So, that’s two pairs out of maybe 30 or so that I have bought from New Balance over the years.

6 Likes

not good!

I received a response, not really much of an offer though. What do you think I could try next?
Magdalene (New Balance AU)

Jan 30, 2023, 15:46 GMT+11

Good afternoon

Thank you for your response.

We are so sorry for the disappointment occurred, we noted with your comment. We would like to highlight that this is not a manufacturing defect and it is common for glue/foam materials to dry out when it is let to sit for a long period of time.

After reviewing your case, as a goodwill customer we would like to offer you compensation as a voucher of 20% off on your next purchase.

Please see below the discount code worth 20% as promised:

Edit: code deleted by moderator

Terms and conditions : Excluded items are MADE series, clearance item ,new releases, equipment, 550 series and collaborations. This code is valid for the next 3 months and cannot be used in combination with any other offer.
NOTE : This is a one-time-use ONLINE ONLY voucher. To redeem this voucher, shop the New Balance site.

We thank you for your patience.

If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with me.

Kind regards,

1 Like