Which is the cheapest supermarket chain in Australia? Supermarket grocery prices compared

Something that should be obvious is that all brands are owned by someone, usually a corporation and for foods, that might or might not be a grocer. Each owner wants to maximise its brand value. Even some Aldi shoppers do not understand and cite the Aldi brand when referencing, as if the brands are sold elsewhere. Aldi usually always has a choice of 1 save for specials so no internal competition.

The value of each brand is in the eye of the beholder/consumer who will buy on price, perceived quality, perceived consistency, perceived value, or perceived range in the branding.

Aldi started it in Australia with its made-up store owned brand names designed to mimic the look and feel of nationally known brands for a lower price. Overall they have done well at their game, so well that as posted on the community and in Choice over time both Coles and Woolies joined the game by introducing new brands - house brands owned by Coles and Woolies if one looks carefully enough. The latter seem to stand next to, not under, the national brands on the adjoining shelves. The ‘cheapies’ have low price or economy in their names or colours used in their packaging as well as ‘Coles’ or ‘Woolworths’ prominently on the labelling. Aldi being what is generally accepted as the low price leader for its own ‘national brands’ (that are only distributed at Aldi) does not use nor apparently need the low price/economy labels for its own market positioning.

1 Like

I find ALDI staff as helpful and sometimes more helpful as Coles, Woolworths, Kmart, BigW, Reject Shop, DJ’s, Myer (though they do score much lower in my opinion but not my mother’s opinion). If I ask a ALDI staff member on the floor for advice on where to find a product, they always assist or they get another staff member to assist. In fact it can be hard to find a Woolies or Coles staff member to assist unless I bail up a personal shopper assistant for their assistance. Stores may be individual in their responses but I have shopped at over 4 ALDI stores near me and consistently their staff are all approachable and helpful. I cannot say the same for the several Woolworths, and Coles that I also shop at, depending on whether the staff are those who recognise me or not. I find Costco staff way more responsive than any of the others, that may be due to their US roots??

Brendan Mays answered this previously

and in the article linked by Brendan was this

For each item, we provide shoppers with a photo and specify the quantity, weight or pack size to make sure they’re collecting prices for the correct product”

Because IGA did not always have similar products to be able to compare them.

and

" How does IGA compare?

IGA is an independent grocery brand, which means that rather than following the chain store model of Aldi, Coles and Woolworths, individual stores operate as franchises and are owned and operated independently.

This means that different items are stocked by each IGA store and prices vary between stores, making it difficult to fairly compare.

We did, however, assess the price of our grocery basket at IGA stores in Tasmania and the Northern Territory when there was no Aldi store in the local area. We were only able to compare the cost of 10 items (four items were not included because comparable items were not in stock at these IGA stores at the time).

“The cost of shopping at IGA was substantially higher than at Coles and Woolworths”

The cost of shopping at IGA was substantially higher than at Coles and Woolworths.

In the Northern Territory, the 10 items cost $46.75 at IGA, compared to $33.54 at Woolworths and $33.79 at Coles. However, we should note that prices and supply in the Northern Territory were impacted by Tropical Cyclone Megan and its aftermath at the time of this survey in March 2024.

In Tasmania, the cost of the IGA basket was $41.05, compared to $33.50 at Woolworths and $34.40 at Coles."

" Which state has the most expensive groceries?

The average cost of our basket of supermarket goods for each location indicates that, on average, shoppers in Tasmania and the Northern Territory are paying a lot more each week for their groceries because they don’t have the option to shop at Aldi instead of Coles and Woolworths."

At my residence prior to our now home, I lived a 5 minute walk from an IGA and it was cheaper for me to get a taxi or drive 15 minutes away and shop at ALDI, Coles, and Woolworths. Then drive or taxi home and I would still be ahead by about $20 to $30 on a weekly shop. If it was a needed bottle of milk or loaf of bread in an “emergency”, then time was the biggest consideration and the IGA was where we bought. When I lived in the NT, it was cheaper for me to buy the goods in Alice Springs and have them shipped the 550 km to me by refrigerated transport (and they unpacked it for me at our home) by about $150 a fortnight than to buy at the local IGA.

Then IGA would even be less so a player, with ALDI having about a 10% market share and IGA with around 7% (roughly a third less market share than ALDI’s).

3 Likes

Sorry, but it has always seemed to me like a biggish grocery store, such limited stock and brands. There are a few assistants around to stock the shelves. It is one of the ways their costs are kept down as it’s also the no-delivery, no-online shopping, until recently not sure at present.
Invariably there’s long queues at the service counters (saving on staff costs) they were the first to get the customers to pay for shopping bags and to do their own packing.
Credit cards are charged but if you swipe your card and enter a savings account PIN number you’re not charged.
I could go on pointlessly listing the reasons I don’t shop there, the major reason being that by now I know what I value and what I shop for and Aldi doesn’t offer it to me. However others might come up with reasons it’s their first shopping choice.
Coles and Woolies might come out second best in the cost of the shopping basket of the mystery customers but I don’t see it defining everyone’s shopping experience also because of the regular specials which could even be 50% off, and, most importantly to me, those discounts apply to brands which make up my shopping baskets.

2 Likes

And you have valid reasons for your personal choices, I don’t say don’t shop at Woolies, or Coles, IGA, or indeed ALDI. I am just saying, the like for like was carefully considered by CHOICE. I trust their reviews of products, I trust the outcomes even though sometimes the top products they recommend are not the choice for me. We all have different tastes and requirements.

The results they saw are seen by me in my shopping as well, so I don’t argue the outcome. Others can differ in opinion, but all I am pointing out is that many of the “what” that is concerning to others has often had an answer provided as to the “why”.

4 Likes

Graham I will disagree on this point with you . I will use three well known companies as a test group for final conclusion . I have a marketing background . Let us look at 3 foreign companies which sort to establish a market here .

Harris Scarfe , Starbucks and Aldis . Harris Scarfe came from the land of Marks and Spencer and Solomon Bros . Iconic stores which any Britt would be proud of . Unfortunately in Australia Harris Scarfe chose a model for their stores that was bottom end . The first one I visited back in the nineties reminded me of the Myers bargain basement back in 1963 . I remember going there with my mum , I was 10 then , and even at that age I thought what a shit shop . Tables placed willy nilly pilled with clothing over flowing onto the floor .A real mess . This was my impression of Harris Scarfe .

Against Kmart , Target and Big W was substandard . Eventually Harris Scarfe shut down most of their stores and remodelled the ones that remained open . I go to their Homeware Store in Geelong at Warne Ponds . Great shop . A shame they did not build their original shops after this model .

Starbucks . " We are coming to Australia to teach them how to drink coffee " We had an existing coffee culture here . Italian and Greek post world war 2 migrants had established it . Starbucks ended up closing down around 70% of their outlets . Their foray into Australia had been a dismal failure .They realised through marketing the mistakes they had made . Their new consumer base would not be Australians but tourists to Australia , mainly from Asia . This model seems to be working and they are opening more stores . Five years ago they built a Starbucks 5 minutes from me . Unfortunately it burnt down a month ago . Hope they rebuild .

Aldis .Let’s go back to 1995 . I am attending a lecture on marketing .The point under discussion was " What will it take for Aldis to succeed in Australia ?" Go back to 1995 Coles Supermarkets . Drive to the shop . park the car , go inside and grabb a basket to place my items in . Walk around the shop .Place the items needed in the basket . Proceed to one of the check outs and stand in the que . Even if I had 4 items I had to stand in that que . 10 minutes , 15 could be 20 .

For Aldis to succeed they had to radically change the shopping time . In other words the time we parked the car till the time we exited the car park . What did they do? Built stores with 4 conveyor belt check outs , usually only 2 working .Often the ques were backed down to nearly half the length of the shop . First mistake . In shop and car time longer than Colesworth .

Colesworth immediately starts feeling out the unions about auto check outs . When they get the go ahead they start installing them .

It is now 2024 I go to Coles and IGA and spend about 5 minutes checking out and paying for my goods . They use a modern automated system where you swipe your own goods . IGA even packs them for you .

You go to Aldis and you stand in a cue and wait and wait and wait .

There was never a concerted plan against Aldi . They just got it wrong and misjudged the Australian consumer . Another thing with Aldis that also marred the look of Harris Scarfe shops is all the tables down the centre of the shop . Looks untidy and unprofessional .

To come into the Australian market and succeed you must offer a better service than already exists . In my opinion Aldis failed to do this . Colesworth met the challenge and it is the reason why they are so successful .now

When Aldis come into the 21st century they maybe successful . Time will tell .

1 Like

Is it possible customers may see service differently, and there is more to value than service, price and quality?

One paradigm - the strength of Aldi’s product line is in its value for money (quality products at a better price). What ever, there are enough Aussies with improved opinions of Aldi.

3 Likes

Would you care to explain a bit more what you mean by that? :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyway, if I would save by buying those basic items: bread, butter, cheese, tea etc what would I do about completing my shopping, those items only found in the international isle, or in the variety of Asian foods, or in the great variety of pasta and coffee, or the many brands of chocolate bars and gift boxes, or the metres long freezers chockfull of frozen foods and frozen desserts and ice cream. Not to mention toiletries, baby products, cosmetics…the list is too long to mention all. Would I have to mimic the shopper in the Aldi’s ad and with tears in my eyes say …I love you but I must go somewhere else to finish my shopping?

A small store which sells 90% private label/store brand products will never be a serious competitor in the huge variety of products offered in the supermarkets world.

In the bayside suburbs that make up Port Phillip there are an estimated just under 110.000 residents, the three Aldi stores I’m aware of are never as busy as Coles or Woolies just nearby. Trust or distrust people vote with their shopping.

1 Like

ALDI are one of the biggest food and grocery shops in the World. They have a 1/4 share of the UK supermarket business, they rank about third in the World after Walmart and then Schwarz, they have a very large presence in the USA. In Australia they certainly don’t compare to Coles and Woolworths but they are behemoth in the rest of the World none the less. This size and wealth is one of the main reasons they have been able to get somewhere here, in the face of a quite serious effort to make them irrelevant.

“Walmart Inc, Schwarz Unternehmenskommunikation GmbH & Co KG, Aldi Einkauf GmbH & Co oHG, The Kroger Co, and Seven & I Holdings Co Ltd are the top 5 food & grocery retailers in the world in 2021 by sales”

1 Like

As for this century Aldi installed self checkouts, when the manned queues get long they timely open another unlike our Coles or Woolies that do that as a last resort when ‘trolley traffic’ inhibits passage across the front. Unlike the Coles and Woolies self checkout they don’t seem to weigh bags to assure items have been scanned (often caused by jostling a bag), or accuse shoppers of not scanning items - they just scan, take payment, and it is easy.

Their success seems to be price, performance, and most importantly they seemed to have learned over time and corrected their more serious errors.

That supported by decent and even top products with low prices and the vibe (deserved or not) of being the low cost place (reference Bunnings marketing) they are ‘the go’ for many shoppers.

1 Like

Choice has set out to benchmark (ambitiously in the opinion of some) the cost of supermarket shopping on a large scale.

Should we be surprised there are different (subjective) opinions across the community critical of what has been included in the survey basket? The situation for households across the greater community differ. Those of us who have more in the credit account than others have greater freedom in which products we purchase. Even where we live and work is a factor through convenience or accessibility.

The value in the Choice supermarket survey is that it is independent of personal influences. Of necessity the focus is narrowly on the pricing of a chosen sample of products.

Why many of us (consumers) might purchase different products or choose different shops and supermarkets would make a great seperate topic. It would likely go well beyond the scope of the Choice product pricing survey. Reality is many consumer product choices are made irrespective of shelf price, and irrespective of actual quality or levels of service. The Choice product reviews and tests are evidence of the substantial number of substandard or overpriced consumer products which are market leaders on the supermarket shelves. However these products continue to sell, and Colesworth et al continue to put them on the shelves.

The challenge in providing constructive criticism of the Choice Supermarket survey may be that it is questioning our individual personal preferences and biases.

1 Like

Please , can you also compare ingredients and also sizes (and if it’s an Aldi home brand compare with Woolies and Coles home brand).

We buy processed cheese slices (yes, fake cheese), and Woolies is slightly more expensive than ALDIs own version BUT Aldi has reduced the size from 500grams to 432grams (still 24 slices). That’s a big weight difference.
Another example (haven’t bought ALDIs brand in 2 years because of this but may have changed) is tinned Black Beans , Aldi was only 35% beans on the label, Woolies is 60% beans and pretty close to the same price.Again a big difference.

And even though Aldi says there is no surcharge using Eftpos, when I insert my card, press 2 for savings (eftpos), they still charge a surcharge to me.

1 Like

I am not employed by Choice so I cannot speak for them but I doubt that would be affordable or within the brief given by the government. The purpose of the survey is to get an idea of the overall prices through sampling just a few not to arrive at a price comparison for a wide range of goods that could be used as a buying guide

On the Community we do have a topic about Shrinkflation that may be a great place for you to post the examples you have found.

As for the surcharge, you should make a formal complaint to their head office about the situation. They do have a contact section on their website that provides for this type of feedback.

https://help.aldi.com.au/s/contactsupport

2 Likes

There’s same conflicting statements as to the branded or home branded items used in the comparison.

4 Likes

To my mind this issue of home brand versus exclusive brands versus branded products comes down to two choices.

1. Only buy exact same products that are sold by all three chains. Or
  2. Buy the cheapest product in a category in each of the chains regardless of any branding.

Since the actual details of what has been purchased seems to be a secret, who knows.

2 Likes

Having patronised an Aldi in the past 2 days, that does not reflect my experience. Have you addressed it with the manager?

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Why or why not buy at ALDI?

For those who wish to comment on why or why they don’t shop at ALDI, I have created a topic to allow the reasons to be expressed away from the CHOICE survey topic.

For those who wish to comment on why or why they don’t shop at Woolworths I have created a topic to allow the reasons to be expressed away from the CHOICE survey topic.

For those who wish to comment on why or why they don’t shop at Coles I have created a topic to allow the reasons to be expressed away from the CHOICE survey topic.

For those who wish to comment on why or why they don’t shop at IGA stores I have created a topic to allow the reasons to be expressed away from the CHOICE survey topic.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Why or why not buy at ALDI?

We appreciate the comments so far on our latest supermarket pricing comparison. However people perceive the survey, its strengths or flaws, we appreciate hearing your thoughts.

All the comments are important and have been received by us at CHOICE, but I’ll respond generally to the themes being discussed. Firstly, this line from the article has caused some contention.

Our basket of brand products cost on average $69.33 at Coles and $68.58 at Woolworths (with no specials), while a comparable basket of Aldi brand products was just $51.51

I can see why this is the case. It is up to us to ensure every line is accountable, and taking care with how we refer to national brands and store brands in this context is important. It should be worded to provide clarity and this feedback will not be missed.

In fairness, I’ve copied this from the same article a few paragraphs below the offending line:

As much as possible we choose the same product brands across the supermarkets.

Some national brand products will be available at Aldi (such as Weet-bix and Lipton tea), and then we use comparable products for the other items (e.g. house brand flour).

When we have to compare products from different brands we look at nutrition panels, country of origin and other product information to ensure they’re as close as possible.

There is also a separate article that further details our practices for the supermarket pricing survey. These are published at the same time and linked in the article above.

While we feel that this information provided gives a reasonable degree of transparency into the process, we appreciate that unless the specific items are listed that it will be questioned. Unfortunately, at this stage it remains a neccessity to the process, and we continue to welcome your thoughts based on your personal experiences. However, there should be no contradiction to our position, and that remains that we compared a number of national brands, house brands and fresh produce.

So why not list the items?
Since it’s a hot topic I can expand on what information I have provided above. Ensuring the process isn’t manipulated or compromised is paramount in this case. As you all know, it is funded by the goverment and is also a wider and more expansive exercise than previous efforts. This makes it different than recent surveys, and means a number of unique challenges.

It is not the first time the government has engaged CHOICE to look at supermarket pricing. You can read about how that eventually unfolded here. It did result in a parliamentary enquiry as well. The previous excercise is of course a very different situation to the current pricing comparison, but it highlights how complex and difficult a seemingly simple pricing comparison can become, and why we need to take care.

There has been some talk about our transparency at CHOICE. I feel it’s fair to consider our recent submission to the supermarket inquiry alongside the above. One of our key asks is for increasing transparency in historical supermarket pricing, which is something the supermarkets have fought fiercely against, as you will see if you take the time to look into the aforementioned enquiry.

And so we find ourselves in an unusual situation: to provide indicators of historical pricing with accuracy and without bias, we need to take every measure to protect the process. We can’t say what will happen in the future, but we will aim to give us much clarity as possible.

Previous surveys
There are a great number of supermarket comparisons we have completed, the first in 1963. We fought for in-store unit pricing all the way back in 1990. In 2015, our investigation saw Coles hit with a $10 million fine for “unconscionable” conduct for misusing its outsized bargaining power.

The methodology for each survey can change to suit its purpose. In this one from 2020, we compared nationally available brands at major supermarkets based on unit price and listed the basket items:

I provided the link before, but will do again to the Christmas basket grocery comparison. You’ll notice that the specific products were not listed, although some national brands are identified. Here is how the basket was displayed:

Similar to this most recent comparison, this was an ongoing survey aiming to give a broad level price indicator using a mix of product categories, national brands and house brands. I chose this example because it’s relatively comparable, and because the drop down allows you to see the basket lists and pricing comparisons over time, so that you can see the continuation of both results and methods. However, there are also yearly supermarket comparisons on the choice.com.au site that do not reveal the supermarket basket items in totality, similar in this way to this most recent comparison.

Mystery shoppers
For the actual shopping part in this most recent review, we engage a qualified partner accredited with the Mystery Shopping Providers Association. So it’s not a case of mystery shoppers randomly substituting items, they have specific lists and the absence of items is managed as part of the process. In the case of IGA, we cut down to a 10 item basket comparison to ensure fairness in what is being compared. We intend to improve the number of IGA items next time. Both special and normal prices are accounted for, and you can see both by visiting the article and hovering over the infographic. It’s all done to methodology under strict quality controlled and independently verified conditions.

Many aspects to supermarkets
We understand that people shop in different ways, and that people have different access to supermarkets. The pricing comparison is not a comment on people’s personal shopping practices, or even representative of a ‘regular’ shop, because this looks different and happens at different frequencies for everyone. The purpose of this comparison is to provide an indicator of supermarket pricing at the major supermarkets in Australia.

The focus has been on Aldi, which is fair considering the results. We can’t put aside our experience, but we also don’t set out to be presumptive. The survey also does much more than just compare to Aldi - it compares the two majors to each other, it compares each brand against themselves and each other on a metro and regional basis, state vs state and territory basis and also to IGA.

In Tasmania, the cost of the IGA basket was $41.05 , compared to $33.50 at Woolworths and $34.40 at Coles.

It’s very likely that we will do further supermarket comparisons in the future outside of pricing or using different pricing elements such as unit price. We will consider some of the suggestions here such as comparing within the one supermarket, or having a look at the house brands in each category.

What the supermarkets say
I’ve addressed how we are comitted to presenting our results above, even if one brand frequently dominates. In addition, it’s not surprising that the supermarkets will use whatever tools they can to promote their own businesses. This potential is there and realised across the range of companies we interact with, and to be expected when operating in a public way. Therefore, this is not really a concern for us.

We are concerned however with widespread confusion at the supermarket, as indicated in our latest nationally representative survey. We are concerned that certain promotional practices are bad for consumers, we are concerned with historical supermarket price transparency, and when people tell us they are struggling with the cost of living, we are motivated to highlight the cost at supermarkets.

4 Likes