Why or why not buy at ALDI?

Here you can post your reasons why or why not to buy at ALDI. Remember to keep the discussion about evidence based reason, though opinion is welcome as long as it remains within Community standards regarding civility.

2 Likes

Two nights ago during 10 News I saw that Aldi ad where the products I noticed were Up & Go and Bega. Tonight on 10 News I saw an ad for Up & Goā€¦ so it is actively advertising so that would significantly affect the price. Note I think Aldiā€™s version is called ā€œQuick 2 Goā€. I think Iā€™ve also seen a Bega ad recently.

2 Likes

An interesting article which might explain Aldiā€™s lower prices and its unpopularity with other companies.

How Does Aldi Get Away With So Many Copycat Products?
By Jess Jeziorowski|Dec. 12, 2023 11:15 am EST
From the dailymeal com

Aldi is known for its minimalistic stores and low prices. Shoppers flocked there as recent inflation rates and food prices climbed, searching for a way to buy groceries without breaking the bank. What keeps people coming back are those low prices and copycat products that taste like the real thing. People want the same things they can find at Whole Foods or Wegmans but cheaper and with the same quality theyā€™re accustomed to, so places like Aldi do that for customers. But if you wonder how it can get away with selling so many copycat products, thereā€™s an explanation.
ā€¦Itā€™s called brand imitation, and itā€™s not illegal, but it is a very fine line to tread. The key to this strategy is to have just enough difference in packaging, branding, and ingredients to avoid a lawsuit, which is called comparative advertising. Manufacturers spend a lot of money to develop memorable attention grabbing branding on their packages, ensuring you immediately recognize the product. Itā€™s far more common to trademark brand names and logos; itā€™s not so common to trademark packaging and product shapes. Aldi and other budget stores take advantage of this by taking cues from well-known brand packaging and logos and tweaking them for their own branding, then choosing a different name. This way, Aldi doesnā€™t need to spend millions on developing a recognizable brand and a reputation ā€” itā€™s already been done for them. They can count on shoppers to recognize what theyā€™re buying and skip buying the name-brand products in favor of Aldiā€™s private brand.

6 Likes

On the topic of Up & Go and Aldi:
On Facebook August 26, 2014 they posted this:

As I said in my previous post Aldi now sells ā€œQuick 2 Goā€.

2 Likes

That Up and Go is a ā€œspecial buyā€ and is not necessarily a common product they sell, though they may also include it as part of their normal lines.

3 Likes

This is my original post about the Aldi ad which hasnā€™t been moved in this new thread:

Tonight [Sunday June 23] I saw an Aldi ad that compared Aldi with a competitor. It said that Aldi was 31% cheaper.

The Aldi products were all generic while none of the competitorā€™s products were generic. They all seem to be well-known (i.e. had used advertising) brands and products like Bega and Sanitariumā€™s Up and Go.

Though at a glance the Aldi generic products look like premium brands and products.

Aldi is probably still cheaper overall but I think that ad was misleading.

2 Likes

It possibly would have been misleading in the past, but Choiceā€™s survey released last week has changed the goal posts. This allows Aldi to compare pricing directly with branded products, even if these branded products arenā€™t actually the same as Aldi store branded products. If challenged, they can use the Choice survey as a defence.

2 Likes

@phb
In the ad I think the branded products it was comparing it to were all ones that have been advertised on TV (or at least pay Coles/Woolworths to place them prominently). These are compared to unadvertised copycat products.

1 Like

Why or why not shop at ALDI?

Why not? For me, itā€™s about convenience. My intention with shopping of any kind is to get to, from, into and out of the shops, and find what I want, quickly and easily.

I very rarely go into ALDI, although the one literally next door to the Coles I often shop at in a small suburban mall nearby meets the convenient-access criterion.

However - when I do venture into ALDI, itā€™s usually for just one or two things, and even then I often donā€™t find what Iā€™m looking for. So Iā€™d not be able to head in there with my weekly shopping list and come out with all of it.

Which rules it out for me as a regular source of groceries etc, other than an occasional once-off purchase. Thatā€™s usually of something CHOICE recommended (such as washing powder or dishwasher tablets).

4 Likes

So on Sunday night during 10 News I saw an Aldi ad that compared famous brands with Aldi copycat products which included ā€œUp & Goā€ (vs ā€œQuick 2 Goā€) and Bega. Last night (Tuesday) I saw an ad during 10 News for ā€œUp & Goā€. Well today at Coles from the top to the bottom of the start of the breakfast aisle there was just ā€œUp & Goā€ā€¦ So in addition to prime time ads, ā€œUp & Goā€™sā€ makers would be paying Coles quite a lot for that prominent placement - which are costs that Quick 2 Go wouldnā€™t require.

I donā€™t think it was an accident that Aldi included ā€œUp & Goā€ in their ad at the same time that ā€œUp & Goā€ was having a major advertising campaign (with special placements on Colesā€™ stores).

I noticed something interesting on those shelves - the plain Coles brand version was about the same price ($6 for 3). ā€œUp & Goā€ is $12 for 6 (next to the Coles ones) or $6.50 for 3 (further away) and thatā€™s the normal price.

2 Likes

I now live in a state without Aldi, but had experience with Aldi when we lived in Brisbane.

In Brisbane (4 years + ago), our nearest Aldi was about a 10 minute drive. Both Woollies and Coles were closer.

We would drop into Aldi from time to time, mainly because the other half had seen special buys which were of potential interest.

We would look at the groceries, but as we donā€™t buy a lot of highly processed foods or foods ā€˜made in Australiaā€™ from imported ingredients (unless there are no alternatives), many of the product didnā€™t suit our everyday needs.

We would buy the occasional bag of muesli and have used their Mama nappies when travelling (noting we mainly used modern cloth nappies 95% of the time). Sometimes we would get the odd special buy, but often found they didnā€™t have the longevity of products we have bought elsewhere. Examples include LED lights which didnā€™t work out of the packet or only lasted months rather than years where they should), kitchen gadgets, power/gardening tools which died after a couple of years and shorter than one would normally expect with a quality brand.

Getting parts for broken bits was also very difficult as often their suppliers donā€™t provide spare parts - I did get the impression they treated them as disposable items rather than something to fix. This does go against my own views on consumerism.

Children books were okay, but some of the printing and binding quality wasnā€™t as good as from reputable bookstores - which possibly is okay if one doesnā€™t want to keep them forever. Some clothing/children clothing was hit and miss. Some reasonable quality (e.g. some ski gear and jackets) while others didnā€™t last the length of time that they could have been worn (more fast fashion quality).

We found that one couldnā€™t rely on quality across all products all the time.

In the months before moving, we no longer shopped at Aldi as I was starting to get concerned that we were becoming buyers of cheap items only to generate more waste in the longer term. It is worth noting that we have family and friends who are avid Aldi shoppers. They have had similar experiences with special buys, but seem to take the attitude that it was cheap and getting a year or or two use is acceptable as they saved a lot when buying. I am unsure if it is a cheap way to buy in the longer term ā€¦ or sustainable from a waste/environmental point of view.

If they opened in our state, I possibly wouldnā€™t visit themā€¦well maybe only if a good German friend visited us around Christmas as he tends to like the imported Christmas assortments/treats from Germany.

I just remember that something I didnā€™t like was the special buy section. I recall once being pushed around when looking at the ā€˜tables/binsā€™ because other shoppers seemed to be in a state of panic buy. Also, towards the end of the special buy week, often things had been sold out and/or hard to find as some parts of the special buys area looked like a bomb had gone off from shoppers rummaging through stock.

5 Likes

Once upon a time I was a sales assistant in a department store that had ā€˜specials tablesā€™ frequently. In some departments the boss would insist that everything had to be neat and tidy so that items were squared away and in order of size, colour etc. In others they didnā€™t bother quite so much as long as things were not total chaos as we had better things to do than spend all day tidying mess that would revert in an instant.

Then there was the Sales Manager who, particularly in the womenā€™s clothing department, would go though tossing stuff into the air to make a messy heap if the tables looked too tidy. He would tell us that this encouraged women to sort through them and buy. He was looking for a trigger to initiate the feeding frenzy. The staff ladies who had just tidied them up, because they could never answer the question ā€œDo you have this in size 14?ā€ while it was a mess, were not impressed.

Marketing is a wonderful thing, it grips the mind and takes one to far away places regardless of the side of the transaction one is on.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve never been a ā€˜shopperā€™ of Aldiā€™s. Sure Iā€™ve gone in to ā€˜have a lookā€™ during the past years but invariably went away without shopping. Somehow the store with the items on the shelves in the boxes they came in always seemed a bit strange, a largish grocery shop with very limited stock and almost no known brands to look for: where were Kelloggā€™s, Arnottā€™s biscuits, IXL jamā€¦? Why were the chocolate wafers made in Saudi Arabia? Why did customers have to pay for shopping bags and do the packing themselves? Why were there no assistants around, you had to ambush them when they came out of the store room with their packed boxes, and the poor things had no idea of anything else other than stocking the shelves.
The Aldi label on any gifts was embarrassing because we all knew it had been cheap.
I decided that the thing to do was to ignore it and stay away, and itā€™s been easy to do because the Aldi stores in Stkilda are very few and far between.

The survey by Choice about the ā€˜cheapest supermarketā€™ caught me by surprise. Apparently Aldi has grown a lot by getting more generic products called private label/house brand which have copycat taste and looks, and has built its own business around them. Brand imitations with just enough difference to avoid a law suit but similar enough to grab customers attention and remind them of similar branded products, but at a cheaper price. The saving on development investment and marketing costs must be enormous.

So now Aldi has been declared the cheapest supermarket by the Choice survey, a promotion worth millions without having spent a cent. Taxpayers money has been used by the government to fund the survey.
I will still stay away from Aldi but now I canā€™t help admire their business acumen.

4 Likes

The nearest Aldi to me is only a couple of km away, and I find that its fresh produce is likely to be of better quality than Coles. Special buys? Iā€™ll meander through every so often but its a rare event that Iā€™ll buy. The last thing was one of those fake mink blankets which are as warm as toastā€¦ I have two, and havent needed an electric blanket ever since.

4 Likes

This opinion is a ā€œwork in progressā€ as itā€™s still an emerging observation. I occasionally shop at Aldi for all the usual reasons, and particularly because I figure some staple items seem as good as the more expensive alternatives in other stores. Iā€™ve recently started using the Yuka app that allows me to scan and compare items to see what sorts of nasties they might contain, like additives, sodium, sugar and fat content. Many of the Aldi products are coming up as inferior quality from a health perspective, so Iā€™m now more circumspect about whether saving money is really my priority. Not to say Iā€™ll be avoiding Aldi, but Iā€™m reassessing the products Iā€™ll buy from there.

2 Likes

Assuming one accepts the values behind the Yuka App, how does it score the similar products sold by the other supermarkets?

1 Like

Compared to Aldiā€™s own brand, Iā€™ve been able to find healthier options (as reported by the Yuka app which does seem to reflect whatā€™s listed on the item) at other supermarkets because they have a wider range to select from. Often the higher quality product is more expensive but not necessarily.

1 Like

This has been found by independent organisations showing in average, Aldi store branded products have lower nutritional value than other supermarket store brands:

Lower nutritional value results in lower health stars. This generally means overall higher salts, sugars and fats.

As is often said, cutting costs often comprises quality. And saving money pushes costs elsewhere, possibly that relating to oneā€™s health.

Buying the cheapest isnā€™t often the best value. Yuka app would only be reflecting results found by others.

5 Likes

A supermarkets comparison from news.com.au

Woolworths, Coles and Aldi compared

MULTIGRAIN BREAD
Aldi bread is the cheapest, but it has a lot more sugar. Youā€™re better off paying a bit more at Coles and getting something with less sugar. When we compared the multigrain loaves at Aldi, Coles and Woolworths, the Aldi loaf contained added sugar, which is unusually in a bread giving it 4 per cent sugars compared to both the Coles and Woolworths loaves which contained just 2.5 per cent overall sugars. The wholegrain content of the Aldi loaf was slightly higher at 20 per cent than the Coles loaf which contained 17 per cent wholegrains.

MUESLI
A closer look at the labels of home brand fruit mueslis show that while the Aldi brand is lower in overall sugars, this is largely as it has a lower overall fruit content than both the Coles and Woolworths muesli with Aldi containing 11.7 per cent fruit, Coles 35 per cent fruit and Woolworths 22 per cent.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s really interesting. I donā€™t think thereā€™s good awareness around that. The Yuka app aims to help users to make informed decisions by pulling in the data from the products and relating it back to existing research. The developers go to lengths to affirm their independence so Iā€™m taking that at face value for now and have found it a convenient way to make choices on the spot. Good to have my suspicions further validated by the links youā€™ve posted here. Thanks!

2 Likes