TAKE AWAY FOOD : Which one/s do you shop at Poll?

Maybe Choice Community members are the type of people that like to stay informed and also try and do the best they can in different ways.

Maybe also the knowledge they have of the fast food industry and its products plays on the mind of members as a result.

10 Likes

I haven’t purchased Maccas or HJs in over 16 mths, my wife likes the popcorn chicken from KFC but for me it is salad, kebab plates with mostly salad on them or normal household food.

7 Likes

As of traveling from Newcastle to Brisbane early on Sunday morning I am. Sample point of one! :grin:

While there are many good reasons to stay away, it seems incredible that MacDonalds Australia can stump up $439M in prizes as part of a promotion, when in 2018 calendar year according to the SMH it’s Aussie revenue was only $1.7B. The actual store counter sales are worth more than $5B annually. :money_mouth_face:

P.S. The the other important one in the household is partial to Hungry Jacks. I left that response out so as to not confuse the survey, unless you can answer twice.

6 Likes

Over 25 years since I have purchased any take away from Maccas and Co. . I do visit the local chippie irregularly though .

8 Likes

Should the poll also consider customers who rather than purchasing take-away, elect for the ‘done in’, oops - I mean dine in options available at MacDonalds, KFC etc?

I might need to answer otherwise. Although it’s 30km or more in any direction to all but one of the big four on the poll. HJ’s is attached to a rest stop on a portion of the M1 we use irregularly. :smile:

P.S.

“Irregularly”, is such a wonderful word. :wink:
Also useful when having that intimate discussion with the gastroenterologist, for some of us.
It deserves it’s place alongside “absolutely” when given as a reply.

9 Likes

I never eat fast food nor do I ever buy take away or have anything delivered. I even take my own lunch to work every day. Unless you count coffee (and that comes from a small business cafe not a fast food outlet), I am not worth much to this sector ;-0

9 Likes

Au contrarie, @karen_seager,
the majority of the above posts reveal not being into buying from fast food outlets :wink:
You are greatly valued :fist: :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I guess Fast Food covers a wide variety of food outlets. A healthy salad with optionally added meat or Vege protein at a suburban shop may be fast food but then consumed at a Restaurant might be seen as non fast food. A burger made from fresh wholesome ingredients may be considered fast food or if made at home might be a snack or an easy but healthy meal.

Does the place we purchase or eat it at make it Fast Food when in reality it could be a very healthy meal. I take Fast Food to mean that which is produced in a store with the food loaded with carbs, fats, sugars, salt. Fish and Chips are probably fast food but grilled fish and salad from the same place perhaps not. What type of outlet is it then??

7 Likes

You raise a very interesting point there Graham @grahroll . Indeed a grey area in our perception of "buy out " food . Good point .

7 Likes

I totally agree @grahroll
The topic being titled: Take away food
which one/s do you shop at? Made me, and I can see also most others, take for
granted that the type of take away food talked about was the calories, fat, salt, sugar rich type.

Should the question have included what type of food did we buy if and when we shopped at those outlets?:thinking:

I would think even if we got a grilled fish and salad the place could be called a
Fast food outlet, referring to the not having to wait long before ‘ taking the food away’.

7 Likes

@grahroll @Gaby and others in the post . When I put the poll together I messaged Choice telling them what I was doing and actually stated that McDonalds would romp it in and the other seven outlets would battle it out .

The results of any poll "are what they are " as they say . If the results lead to further discussion and closer analysing of the results that can only be a good thing .

7 Likes

What @grahroll pointed out has got me looking at a McDonald menu: actually there are salads and grilled chicken breast with lettuce and tomato, and other more healthy options than burghers and chips.
In fact, deep fried fish and chips ( N1 at the poll) would be more unhealthy than a chicken and salad at Maccas.
I just associate unhealthy food with burgher places and the like. Maybe others do too, or maybe you just don’t go there unless you want something like a juicy fat salty meat burgher plus cheese on top :wink:

8 Likes

Uh-oh. I lapsed and went to McDonalds this morning whilst I was out and about. Ham and cheese toastie. was nice. Not as nice as mine, but nice, for fast food.

7 Likes

Wasn’t this the place that was busted a few years ago for burning fake grill marks onto some of its “food” (I hesitate to call it that!) when it was actually deep fried?

6 Likes

The Grilled Chicken is definitely grilled they use the same machine as they do for the beef. We were invited into the kitchen/cooking area a couple of times a couple of years ago as we knew the Store Manager very well… It is basically an over-sized sandwich press/George Foreman type appliance. Any grill marks though are probably printed as the plates on the grills are flat. Most of my children & their children prefer the HJ product as they do actually gas flame grilled the beef, anything crumbed is deep fried though regardless of which brand.

7 Likes

Likewise Fish & Chips is top of the list & can be explained for my generation. As a child at primary school in early 60’s, every Friday I bought fish & chips (initially 1’3 =12.5c) as the weekly treat. The other popular foods were pie/pastie/sausage rolls. Some children actually bought rolls and sandwiches. Yeah, really! The school was adjacent to a strip shopping centre with most usual foods available, yet I’m pretty sure there wasn’t a burger option. That came a few years later when a dedicated burger shop setup near the local station. Then the f&c shop started offering burgers. No Macca’s around. KFC came first. Our family also had semi-regular (avoiding saying “irregular”) fish & chips - mum & dad loved them too!

7 Likes

But Chinese food is listed twice. Not only is KFC is China’s largest food chain & owned by the Chinese. There are many more KFC stores in China (5,000+) than the rest of the world together. Maccas doesn’t come close in penetration. On my first visit to China 20 years ago, I remember walking 10 blocks and passing 10 KFC’s. One on every corner. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s also a very big market for commercial pressure friers, or is there a special Chinese adaption of the technique we are most familiar with?

3 Likes

I just got my lunch at Henny Penny. A really nice chicken and gravy roll. Now for some insulin. Sighhh

3 Likes