TAKE AWAY FOOD : Which one/s do you shop at Poll?

@person I looked at Subway when putting the Poll together . I also looked at Pizza Hut , Dominos , Wendy’s and some other outlets . I felt that there was no need to list them all because , like you have done , these outlets would be covered by ’ others" and listed in posts below the poll .

Again thank you for your input it is always appreciated .

Mike

5 Likes

Mine too, unless a coffee and muffin
when at a big shopping centre counts.

The
ubiquitous KFC in Beijing too!

6 Likes

Just ask then for “No Bun” and they put it in a tray without the bun. We still ask for “No dressing, No sauce” as they are too full of sugars, the fats aren’t so bad as all that extra sugar. They will also supply a knife and fork to eat it with, just remind them to supply it. It do wish though they would go to degradable cutlery rather than the plastic stuff.

9 Likes

Most of us who grew up in the US and were about 10-15 years old around 1960 were enculturated with the then $0.19 hamburger. One at a lunch counter could be $0.75 or even $0.99 in those days. There were many small $0.19 burger chains, all alike except the signage, that eventually got supplanted by Maccas, Burger King (aka Hungry Jacks), Wendy’s, and Jack-in-the Box that continue to dominate, with a few cult establishments such as White Castle still trading strong.

Most of us (<-pun) never outgrew the need for a periodic fix and head off to Maccas or HJ even if visits are few and far between, sometimes in full fancy dress or bags over our heads, sometimes not, for a burger and seniors coffee. For $8.15 an Angus classic w/free senior cap is not a bad lunch! There are also cheaper options that address the craving.

The local burger shops are better, but it is also $15+ for a comparable meal. The local pub has a senior lunch with chips and veg, with a glass of drinkable wine for under $20.

Why Americans, and then the rest, willingly pay Maccas/HJ/etc prices for itsy bitsy teenie bags of chips has always amazed.

9 Likes

Our goto burger shop sells their hamburger (meat pattie, lettuce, tomato, onion, beetroot, carrot and choice of sauce) for $4.50 used to be $3.50 but prices have risen. Fresh cooked in about 5 minutes. Want the lot with bacon, egg, grilled pineapple and cheese added you pay about $7. 600 ml drink with the first one you are about $8 out of pocket.

10 Likes

We have lived in inner south Sydney and had 2 take away meals in 11 years. There’s always a home cooked meal in the freezer for a fast option.

11 Likes

Grilld and Thai.

8 Likes

None. There’s always something in the freezer.

7 Likes

That is exactly what I was going to write!

6 Likes

About the only take away we really do (and we often just eat there) is Alfred’s kitchen in Guildford, Perth. We enjoy the hamburgers and they are relatively close to us. Very rarely, though. The other we eat, is if our son treats us to Sushi from a particular takeaway in Dianella. Or the Bento, when it is cold, but we have only had that once this year.
We generally find it easier to cook something ourselves. Farm eggs from our neighbour’s chooks make scrambled eggs a go to, instead.

6 Likes

Not to doxx myself but I live walking distance from it :wink:

4 Likes

We are a bit the same. Our favourite ‘fast food’ is Jiaozi (餃子)/ huntun (馄 饨). We always have a kilo or two of home made ones in the freezer and when we don’t feel like preparing a meal…we boil some up for a feast. When we lived in China, it was our favourite ‘fast food’.

We generally make about 2-3 kilos are a time…have some fresh when made and freeze the rest for a rainy day.

8 Likes

We think carefully about takeaways - the food generally has to be better than we’d make ourselves. We eat fish & chips every month or two from a quality fish shop, normally sharing a single serve of chips.
My wife isn’t a hamburger fan, but surprisingly likes a couple of the Grill’d offerings. So that’s on the list every few months.
There’s a good home made pie shop nearby. I sneak a couple during winter. sshh, don’t tell my wife.

I almost ticked Pizza. Last week we went to our favourite local pizza shop. We surprised it had changed hands a Sept last year and that’s how long since we’ve eaten pizza.

8 Likes

We like to make Jiaozi too, although she must be too particular & I don’t think they are ‘fast (enough) food’. This year she learned to make Baozi (包子) & finds them faster to make.

6 Likes

Very true…if one has to make them from scratch. But if they are in the freezer. …takes no time at all after the pot of water boils. The only problem is they are hard to resist stop eating…once started. Suace is Zhenjiang black vinegar, soy sauce and finely chopped garlic. We also have it with ready made crispy chiili in oil as well.

We also like Baozi as well…but never have been as happy with them as the one made commercially or that in the small wall outlets (or steamers on the back of a tricycle) in China. As a result, we don’t make them.

We do cheat a little with the jiaoz/huntun buy buying wrappers at our local Asian supermarket. We have made them ourselves, but it takes some time and effort…easier to buy 30-40 wrappers for about $2. Filling is very easy…we generally use pork mince, Chinese chives or cabbage, ginger, dash of sesame oil and a few drops of Zhenjiang vinegar. Ocassionally will do other fillings such as black fungus and beef or vegetarian ones.

We don’t measure the filling making each batch slightly different to the other.

We also often have stir-fried tomato and egg; spinach and egg; or Chinese chives and egg -as an accompanying dish. We also use them in Nanjing hotpot (soup bowls) as well.

I am staring to feel hungry for them…unfortunately have already prepared dinner.

8 Likes

We eat take away from a great local fish and chip shop where they make their own hamburgers and sauce all wrapped in paper. Occasionally from a locally owned pizza shop or from an Indian or Chinese restaurant. I have made a point of never eating at McDonalds or any of the other international franchises.

8 Likes

Are we all being honest here?

Or are Choice Community members the only Australians who don’t frequent anyone of the big fast food chains?

With long ques and thousands of stores nation wide someone must find them popular. I can confess to breakfast while travelling on the weekend. Taree on the Pacific Hwy early Sunday am.

Glazed Eyes:
MacDonalds is again running it’s Monopoly game promotion. With a $439M (approx) total prize pool that is approx $40 per customer if 50% of Australians visit often. It needs $4,000 pa of turn over per customer per year if the competition budget is 1% of gross turnover. Yes, I made the numbers up, other than the $439M prize pool, as a guess. The real stats will be equally horrifying.

Worse, as far as I can work out you need to download and install a MacDonalds App to your smart device to participate. At least to access the major prize pool? What else does the App facilitate for Maccas? That would be a whole new topic. Pass the paracetamol please while I think about it.

https://maccasplay.com.au/

8 Likes

I am:
Never eaten at McDonalds
Once ate at KFC when parents took us there on a trip to Bathurst in 1973ish, decided we didn’t particularly like the greasy lumps, and I haven’t been back.
Never been to Hungry Jacks
Never been to Redrooster

From my observations the people who do frequent these junk food places account for a majority of the litter by the roadsides in places where I cycle- and I do get to see a lot of it when riding ~400km/week

You seem remarkably well informed about … Monopoly Game at Macca’s! I’ve never heard of it.

7 Likes

Doesn’t surprise me that Choice Community members are health wise.

All kudos to us :grinning:

9 Likes

I noticed the ‘Maccas Monopoly’ app was the most downloaded app for a while on iOS. So I think you may be right there.

McDonald’s is on of my longer running boycotts personally. I think I’ve bought there once or twice in the last decade.

8 Likes