TAKE AWAY FOOD : Which one/s do you shop at Poll?

Heh I was a 160 IU Fast acting per meal and 160 IU a day long acting but now nil…I still use Bydureon (was using Byetta but prefer the once a week shot) and Metformin. I lost weight by doing a supervised VLCD meal plan and lost 10 kg in about 3 weeks and have not had to use Insulin since the 2nd week of the diet & with my HbA1c sitting around 6.4 now. I’m still losing weight, if you are overweight may be worth considering a rapid weight loss to reduce fat in the liver if DM 2 or DM 1 as a fatty liver will use more Insulin to keep levels in the good range, if you haven’t tried it before that is…

5 Likes

I’ve always struggled with weight, even when I was a toddler. I’m on 46 units of Lantus twice a day, and am reducing it bit by bit. I have 6 units of RA per carb exchange (so each 15g). The weight problem for me is a bit of a vicious cycle. If I have insulin I put on weight. If I dont have it, I still put on weight, just not as much, but BG gets out of control. Liver studies show that my levels are improving. Thats down to diet. I’d like to do it faster but find myself unable.

4 Likes

For all you Macca’s fans, here is an article with some interesting tips on ordering there.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/lifestyle/foodanddrink/mcdonalds-staff-share-their-top-5-ordering-tips-for-customers/ar-BBTGvED?ocid=spartandhp

4 Likes

I have always had dark fears about those devices that have the operator risks of a pressure cooker added on to a deep fryer. I once witnessed a “cook” at KFC fighting to get one of these open while the front desk called for more product. He didn’t burn himself but I wonder how often it happens under time pressure. There are various reports around the world of them exploding but no aggregated statistics on how often or whether it is from technical fault or operator error.

2 Likes

Thanks Fred for posting all of the Hints and Tips for Macca’s Ordering! My husband and the boys often swing by McDonalds for food after a session at the Pub, and these hints and tips will save them all quite a few dollars!
Thank you for sharing!

3 Likes

I wonder if there are similar tips for Hungry Jacks. I’ve noticed in recent months that the HJ burgers are much more “full” than McDonald’s, and they are cheaper. The chips are nicer than Maccas fries, too, although the serves seem smaller. But thats probably a good thing, for those of us who shouldn’t eat them anyway!!

5 Likes

I Itried Googling it but did not find anything relevant.

4 Likes

Its OK Fred, cheaper at HJs anyway.

4 Likes

Ask for “No Bun” to get the innards of the burger less the bun and served in a box rather than just wrapped like a bun. “Heavy salads” used to be free but now cost but still worthwhile as additions I think (haven’t eat burgers for quite some time) and if you are a beetroot fan I believe you can still get that added as well… For Diabetics cutting the bun and sauces makes it only salt and fat levels you have to contend with. When I visited I have taken my own container (just empty the box contents into it) in with a set of knife and fork plus a low cal home made dressing to add to the contents, ground pepper is great as an addition as well just carry a little grinder in your bag. Chips for me are OTP (Off The Program/me).

3 Likes

I usually dump the innards into a bowl and take it from there, but no bun sounds good.

4 Likes

An article about a perpetual junk food burger.

1 Like

“Did somebody say KFC?”.

:rofl:the monopoly maccas game gove me bad omen

Chinese sometimes eat

Food for thought?
Most would be aware MacDonalds do regionalise their products. The prices converted to AUD are also an eye opener.
https://www.escape.com.au/news/the-most-expensive-mcdonalds-burgers-around-the-world/image-gallery/11e4331a8e9c247d096f8103aff0c6ba

The same dollars are likely to stretch much further at the local supermarket when one chooses to make your own. If travelling make the burgers before leaving without adding the sauce or meat and wrap each portion securely. Take your choice of sauce/s in reusable small bottles as well as the Pattie’s. Pack all in an esky or portable cooler.

On arrival at your meal break. Whether one uses a small portable butane gas stove or has precooked the patties feel assured. Served with squishy buns, half limp lettuce and a barely warm pattie it is possible to provide an acceptable approximation of your preferred burger chains take away. Proudly home made, and likely to pass the most critical of taste tests.

P.S.
One can also pack once was crispy bacon, a fried egg and fried onion to taste. Choice of crowning pickle or chilli optional.

Any suggestions for the once were warm and now too salty fries?
Reproducing a soft serve cone after 4 hrs on the road less of a challenge. :wink:

2 Likes

Although some comparison is necessary currency conversion is a furphy for everyone excepting travellers who live in the ‘normalised’ currency. I find all those 'normalised into $USD (or whichever) comparisons intellectually offensive.

Minutes or hours of work at average wage in each economy makes more sense, as do any number of metrics that could be used for comparisons.

Personally the cost of a big Mac in London be it in $USD, $AUD, or Euros is not interesting to me unless i am on a business trip or holiday. The cost at the Maccas down the road? Interested because I only care about how that Big Mac affects my accounts on a day to day basis. Not that I stop at Maccas more than once every few years.

To wit, a burger that costs $2.50 is pretty expensive in an economy, not cheap, if the typical annual income in that market is say $5000. The traveller with valuable $USD might view it more favourably.

3 Likes

Some more tips for replicating the offerings of the main chains.

1. Take the top off a soft drink bottle the night before travelling. Refit the top just before travelling. On arrival, add water and melting ice and it will taste just like the post-mix options.
  2. Make sure that your portion sizes reduce each year.
  3. Add extra sugar to your sauces.
  4. When making patties, ask your butcher for the blandest meat available.
  5. Carefully take orders from all family members, then without telling anyone substitute an item or two and leave others at home.
  6. When preparing to eat, serve some of the family and tell others they will have to wait just seven minutes before their food is available.
  7. Pay a teenager to help serve the meal. Regardless of how bad it tastes or how unhealthy the food, this allows you to come back with “Well at least I am giving a kid a job”.
5 Likes

Agree it’s a more meaningful way to draw comparisons. Many travellers are also insulated from the realities. Thank the all inclusive tour operator and packages taking care of every need.

A different take on fast food options:
Fast food in SE Asia translates mostly to street food. Priced in local currency to be affordable to the regulars in the street.

Closer to home Papua New Guinea has exactly zero MacDonalds outlets making any like comparison irrelevant. The minimum basic wage by of approx AU$1.50 is only relatable for those with formal paid employment.

Is fast food better described as the one that got away?