Slow to or cannot open Choice Community website

It is loading at the usual speed for me too ATM, with no reboot. Maybe Choice IT has it sorted now?
However, the same thing happened a couple of days ago, but then it went back to not loading at all.

EDIT

OK, I’ve just had over an hour of it not loading at all, so it isn’t fixed, with various messages including this one:

CHOICE Community

Welcome to the CHOICE Community,
the online forum for Australian consumers.

Sorry, we couldn’t load that topic, possibly due to a connection problem. Please try again. If the problem persists, let us know.

5 Likes

I am still having problems. The page (eventually) loaded [Windows 8.1 using Chrome], but when I clicked on the ‘New’ topics, the page failed to load & I got the “This site can’t be reached” etc etc - the same as the screenshot posted above.
I turned to Firefox: after taking an abnormally long time to load, the page opened & I was able to access new posts, and this thread…

4 Likes

I have slow initial loading (~30 seconds) on this site only from two machines using W10 and various browsers for several days now.

4 Likes

As Alice said: Curiouser and Curiouser.
An hour ago I was able to load the page in an instant, and I did some catch-up of the new posts.
Then I left the site to read an email that had just come in, and now it’s back to : “the server has stopped responding”!

4 Likes

Still a problem.

Boot up desktop computer this morning. Start web browser (Firefox).

Open Choice Community web site. Connection Timed Out.
Immediately “reload” page. Connection Timed Out.
Come back to it 40 or so minutes later and “reload” page. Working OK (so I can post this).

Now I would be the first to admit that I am a tweaker and a tinkerer on computers, so it can be that the problem is at my end but …

5 Likes

Thanks @person, my apologies for any frustration caused. I’ve logged this with our dev team as an urgent issue.

5 Likes

Has anyone who is having problems tried accessing without using DNS services? I get two IP addresses on trying to resolve choice.community. 50.63.202.58 ends up as a 404 and 45.76.120.38 goes straight to the community. Perhaps this is an issue with DNS servers??

Some sites to help convert site names or IP addresses:

https://www.hcidata.info/host2ip.cgi

http://domaintoipconverter.com/index.php

On Firefox as I am currently running Kaspersky I am seeing a warning that the certificate is not one that Mozilla recognises as it is using a Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Root Certificate
one, on Opera it’s a Let’s Encrypt certificate, & on Chrome it is again the Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Root Certificate one.

It may be the Certificate authority?? Seems Let’s Encrypt are having issues:

https://letsencrypt.status.io/pages/incident/55957a99e800baa4470002da/5d95559f0dee596d5de8885d

2 Likes

I’m seeing 50.63.202.49 (in addition to the other IP address that you give). However with a medium or large CDN there can easily be lots of different IP addresses and different people see different sets of IP addresses.

I can confirm that at the moment my browser is using 45.76.120.38

If it fails again tomorrow, I will try your suggestion.

PS: Also now seeing 184.168.221.37

2 Likes

That 184.168.221.37 gives me ip-184-168-221-37.ip.secureserver.net as a result. Which ends up as a “Sorry! This site is not currently available”

2 Likes

The specific IP address that I am using reverse lookups to 45.76.120.38.vultr.com. while all the others that I am seeing are in secureserver.net. .

When you are talking about the certificate, are you talking about the issuing CA or the root CA? For the former I am seeing “Let’s Encrypt Authority X3”.

“connection timed out” should not refer to a certificate problem. Firefox normally gives a better error message with certificate problems. However, with the layers of software obfuscation :slight_smile: , things don’t always work out that way.

1 Like

Issuing Authority see above edited post:

Firefox would be checking the revocation of Certs and if you have issues getting to the CA you could have a failure to determine if a Cert is valid, then get a failure…as it isn’t very clear unless you delve into logs this may be the problem or part of the problem. Particularly if you have set for browser to check for Revocation on startup, this would affect when commencing Frefox or Chrome, once they manage to finally connect then until Browser is shutdown and restarted the problem should disappear once the CA has been checked for the session. Chrome no longer allows setting of the revocation checks. Firefox defaults to a soft fail if it can’t check for revocation and only shows a warning if a Cert has been revoked.

2 Likes

Yes good point. I could be getting an error from that aspect of it. If it fails tomorrow, I will check that too.

Servers doing SSL are supposed to do OCSP stapling but perhaps that is not supported by this server, or OCSP stapling is itself causing the problem. :smile:

2 Likes

It is still slow opening at our end.

It also appears that the page views and user visits have also been down about 10% since the problem arose last week, compared to previously corresponding periods. I wonder if the long time for initial page loading if having an impact on traffic…as some users (members or anonymous) may not be patient enough to wait until the initial page loads and are leaving before it does so.

3 Likes

When I first read this topic, in an email summary I loaded the android choice forum app? And had similar problems. But it’s the first time I’ve used phone/mobile exclusively as I’m on holidays in Mexico (a southern state of Australia). Last couple of days it’s seemed ok though, however I haven’t been hammering it … Too much seafood to focus on.

Has anyone checked the Dev options in chrome to monitor load times for each element?

2 Likes

No problem this morning - but I can see that the domain name is resolving to just a single IP address (45.76.120.38), the one that was working yesterday.

2 Likes

Yes, looks all good from my end as well.

1 Like

Thank you@Person,
By touching ‘Visit topic’ from your email I’m here now, after trying many times!

My iPad has been showing a message that ‘Safari cannot open page as the connection is not secure’ all day yesterday, and today, therefore I’m now unable to get in touch with the Community altogether.
(I can only receive emails on topics started by me. )

I take this opportunity, I may not have another, to say how much I miss you all, and will keep you in my heart :yellow_heart::raising_hand_woman:

4 Likes

I would like to take credit for that email but it is not my doing. The forum software that Choice is using is sending that email. It pretends that the email is from me but it is from Choice / its forum software.

This seems to be a huge blindspot on iDevices. No sane way of diagnosing or overriding this problem that I could find.

At minimum, can you verify that you are running the latest iOS version on your iPad?

Do you have any other device from which to access the internet?

As always, as Choice does seem to have been messing around with the web site, you may want a clean slate on your device as far as visited web sites go, and do Settings / Safari / “Clear History and Website Data”

It looks as if Settings / General / About / Certificate Trust Settings will give the trust store version, which may highlight if you have a seriously out of date version. (Expecting 2018121000 or later.)

3 Likes

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience while we worked on this issue. I’m told that the issues with our server should now be resolved and the site should be working normally again within the next couple of hours. If you’re still experiencing any issues, please let me know.

5 Likes

I am thankful to you @person because your email gave me the opportunity to try ‘Visit topic’ once again and this time it worked, so it’s alright to take the credit😊

My iPhone stopped connecting to Choice Community, with a few exceptions, last week. But I was able to get in touch with the forum with my old IPad which was working well until yesterday, now Safari is saying the connection is not safe.
My iPad cannot be upgraded to the latest iOS, unless it gets worked on by an Apple technician.
I have cleared history and website data
and cookies.

iPhone is one year old, 4Gs, could be upgraded to latest iOS, I think it’s 12 now.
Those are the only 2 devices I have.
As you can see iPhone is working now,
but I been let down before and :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes