CHOICE membership

Pyrolitic Ovens

After completion of the Pyrolytic process the oven door Electrolux EPEE63AS Oven will not unlock and an error code F08 is displayed. As suggested in the owner’s manual we have tried turning the power off to the oven for 20 seconds and then back on, but it makes no difference.

Looking at subsequent online forums/reviews problems with the Pyrolytic function of this oven are not uncommon.

The Oven was bought in late 2010 and was CHOICE recommended I believe. Unfortunately though we took out an extended warranty that has now expired.

I have two questions -
a) Should not such an expensive oven be expected to last longer that 7 years?
b) Are all pyrolytic Ovens unreliable?

The Pyrolytic function has only been used a few times.

How can we resolve this problem please?

3 Likes

The control board needs time to discharge its capacitors. The 20 seconds should do it, but. No offence, but wait for it to cool down and try turning it off for a minute if you have not.

Some pyrolytic ovens have a problem whereby they try to unlock the door while the oven is too hot and the lock/unlock motor is not strong enough to overcome the hot latch, hence the error. The control boards are not smart enough to reset but when the power is removed for a sufficient time they reboot when powered up again, then they do a system test and unlock the door in the process. If that does not happen you have either a failed control board ($$$) or a failed lock/unlock motor ($).

Edit: Electrolux F08 is a ‘communications failure/power supply error’ with the repair to check internal wiring and replacing the control board. It can be a long shot that an internal connector has degraded from heat over time, but. Another instigator of problems can be a degraded fan causing overheating causing something else to malfunction.

I had a higher end pyrolytic that we recently sent to the tip after only 6 years rather than keep fixing it. At 4 years pretty much everything except the frame and heating elements were replaced under the ACL. In year 6 it started behaving erratically and bought a SMEG pyrolytic that is 2 months old; other than a teething problem out of the box it has been surprisingly pleasant and SMEG service has been faultless. The previous manufacturer completely redesigned their product and it is now sold under a different brand so I’ll not mention the name here.

The reason pyrolytic ovens can be unreliable is they heat to 400-500C and there are electronics packages controlling them. Electronics dislike heat, hence the fans in all modern ovens to keep the controls cool.

I recommend anyone with a pyrolytic oven runs the cycle monthly to be sure it still works. In our experience failures are most common after running a cleaning cycle.

If you wish to pursue a repair under the ACL you have to work under the law as it was in 2010, eg whatever your state equivalent was before 2011, so you do not have the same eights as with my 1-year later purchase.

If the cool down and power cycle works, please post it. Otherwise your choice is probably a repairman or a replacement. Some owners get the door unlocked and just stop using the pyrolytic cycles and the ovens cook just fine, although hand cleaning them can be troublesome :frowning:

7 Likes

@PhilT has provided some good advice.

Also after doing a quick search online, it appears that the locked door after cleaning run could be reasonably common for this model of oven.

It may be worth contacting Electrolux and indicate to them from the research you have done that it appears the fault that your oven now exhibits seems to be a common problem…and would it be possible for them to come to the party and possibly assist in the repair of the oven. Being common may indicate that the design or quality of the oven is the issue, not due to user behaviour.

Suggest that they provide (pay for) parts and that you would be willing to pay for the labour. Indicate that you are also keen to repair the oven, if they come to the party, rather than adding the otherwise perfectly good oven the waste/recycling heap.

Also state that if aren’t interested in assisting with the repair, that you may be forced to buy a new oven and will definitely won’t be replacing it with an Electrolux one. Also state that you will also let other know that a relatively expensive Electrolux pyrolitic oven when purchased only lasts 7 years which is unsatisfactory. One should possibly expect such ovens to last the life of many modern appliances such as fridges and washing machines, that being possible more than a decade.

Good luck.

(We don’t have a pyrolitic oven but have F&P one with removable catalytic side paneling. We looked at pyrolitic ones when we purchsed ours, but decided against it as we were concerned about energy use of the high temperature clean. We have found the catalytic one satisfactory but the top, floor, shelves and door need a clean from time to time (well mainly the door as splatters seem to be on the oven sides than the floor or top). The calaytic panels seem to work well and when they have obvious oil marks on them, these marks tend to disappear over a few uses. The only problem we have had in 12 years is the rear element for fan force cooking burnt out but was easily and cheaply replaced)

6 Likes

I have a 7 year old Westinghouse Pyrolytic oven. I had to call service during the warranty period when I had exactly the same problem as you. Then the grill element caught on fire and was replaced under warranty. After 5 years the Pyrolytic function came up with the F08 error as the oven heats up and the light burned out. My son managed to unlock the door (inside the top panel, he is very handy) I have given up on the pyrolytic cleaning and have been using it without, I intended to change the light myself but have not figured out how to do it and by now got used to not having it. (This just reminded me to ask my son to have a look at it) As an oven it works fine and has the triple (or quadruple?) glazing on the door to seal the heat in. I definitely will not spent the extra money for the Pyrolytic function when I replace this oven. I had not expected that I had to take out the side rack holders and clean all that by hand anyway.

1 Like

Has anyone had a problem with discolouration in a pyrolytic oven. Mine must have had something on the base when I first used the function and it left a large pale grey mark. I later had something boil over which would not come off with detergent and water as advised by manufacturer. They could not recommend any way to remove it but use pyrolytic function. The grey mark is now worse. The company takes no resonsibility, of course, as they ‘do not know what I have cooked in my oven’.

Pleas advise the make and model of the oven to enable others to be able to respond to your query.

Welcome to the Community @Jrob

I merged your topic into this existing one about pyrolytic ovens.

Various spots and discolouration around the seal or varying colourations are normal. Superficial scratches from removing and replacing the racks and telescoping mechanisms can also happen that do not affect self cleaning or integrity.

So long as it is inside what is the worry? If it is outside please be more descriptive and perhaps post a photo as that would be abnormal and unexpected in my experience.

3 Likes