Oven door shattering - has this ever happened to you?

Welcome to the community @joblial

We had a pyrolytic I mentioned in the pyroltic oven topic. It was also about $4,000 and at 6 years it was sent to the tip after virtually a 100% parts replacement by the manufacturer at year 4 as it was developing new and more wondrous faults.

Sometimes we get bad products, and sometimes a company will stand behind them whether up front or after being confronted with the ACL, but the product can still be unforgivably bad and sometimes develop a fault that defies resolution.

It appears St George is gone from the market (?) but parts remain plentiful.

We were fortunate enough to be able to write ours off and move on. When faced with a repeated fail such as yours, something is amiss be it the glass or a warped or nicked door glass frame that affected the hot glass. Although that scenario would seemingly defy reason after 10 years it would not be impossible. If you persevere my suggestion is to seek a used door assembly and see how that goes.

Since the life of an oven or cooker ranges from 10-18 years yours at least reached the lower end of expectations.

If yours is the 8800100S your next worry may be finding another 80cm oven that fits your cavity since it is an odd size these days. My 75cm oven required a 75cm facia cutout but by the time it got replaced 75cm models standardised on a 75cm cavity and the facia cutouts had to be a few mm wider (that could not be done without a complete redo) limiting our choice to the 70cm oven on the market with some custom trim strips to fill the side gaps. If you replace you may need to buy a 75cm oven and have similar trims made.

Good luck with it.

4 Likes