Mattress & Mattress-in-a-box reviews and issues

I was, seeing lots of box matress on Facebook being advertised so many. I know some have been tested but the thing that they won’t with ones purchase online is the warranty is misleading. They mention 10 years warranty but apparently choice mentioned clauses are in fine print. Maybe e it is a matter of looking for the right one. The online box ones say they also give 100 day free use i asked the person i eas chatting to about returning. I would have thought if purchased unless its faulty won’t get a refund.

Not so, i got a full refund for the Ecosa mattress that did not work out. Ecosa arranged for the salvos to do the pickup and some lucky salvo customer got a near new mattress

1 Like

Reference the CHOICE test of mattresses.

We ordered two recommended mattresses from IKEA. We wanted medium-from and, bearing in mind the CHOICE ‘Bad Point’ that “advertised firmness does not match test results”, we ordered both in maximum firmness. The Hyllesstad in Firm and Hovag in Very Firm. We have found both mattresses far too hard, despite adding mattress pads, and are now having to replace them. How could CHOICE come to the conclusion that they are softer than advertised?

CHOICE also commented that there was a “pickup fee to exchange mattress”. There is not only a pickup fee there is a delivery fee for the replacement mattress. In our case 2 x $89.

2 Likes

Hi I’m new to the site but I can’t find reviews on many store bought mattresses only the mattress in a box?
Thanks

2 Likes

Welcome @anon24574547

I have moved your post to the Mattress Review topic, there is perhaps some advice and other’s feedback that may help you in this topic. I have also included other links that may also prove useful to you.

A couple of places to look for CHOICE reviews on Mattresses including what to look for when buying one

Review of normal and Boxed types (CHOICE Member Content only, not CHOICE Community membership)

Buying Guides

Some of the mattress articles on this site that may provide further information.

2 Likes

Hi @BrendanMays,
Is there any reason why the Koala mattress wasn’t included in the 2021 mattress reviews?

2 Likes

@blah Welcome to the Community and Thank You for the question. @MattSteen may wish to address your post’s question.

While awaiting the response from CHOICE I can add a little info that may help answer your query.

1. CHOICE selects products to test based many times on what the market is buying. If a particular product is a rare purchase it may not be selected.

2. CHOICE has a limited budget to purchase goods for testing, thus they try to make the value of the dollar spent go to the “right” products. This ties into point one in that the testing is targeted at items that are more often purchased.

3. At times because of changes to current product ranges CHOICE may not test if changes are occurring and a different model is about to hit the market. If an older product was tested then people may buy or not buy based on superseded specs (not a good outcome).

1 Like

Hello there, We did purchased a Koala mattress to test - and then they changed their model and we had to remove it from testing.

Normally we will ask manufacturers prior to testing to see how long they will stay in market, but mattess manufacturers are remarkably resistant to giving us any information voluntarily.

We’ll look at including their latest model at the next test, due for publish in June.

Matthew

5 Likes

@MattSteen, I previously mentioned Makin Mattresses. We have had one for 7 months now and it has only gotten more comfortable if anything. Perhaps some day it might make your cut to see if I am doing mind games with myself, or it really is one of the better products to audition.

2 Likes

Lets see how you feel about it in 5-6 years. Mine was terrible after a few years, though at first, like you, I felt that it got more comfy after a while.

Which June??? Next year??

1 Like

One of the selling features is

so I am not too worried about at least getting my money’s worth.

1 Like

Hi thinking of buying a bed in the box can’t make up my mind want a king one any help please thanks

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @Maccie21,

Choice reviewed mattresses (member content) with a recent update, including a number of beds in boxes. You will also find a few member comments in this topic.

1 Like

Thanks I have been looking for hours and just can’t decide

1 Like

I had the same problem. I had a Lazybed (and they were bought out by Onebed) after the Makin Mattresses disaster. It was a double but on the special that month, only cost $500, down from $850. It was absolutely the most comfortable mattress I had ever slept on - for about 2 years. And then, I started waking with dreadful backaches (I had back issues for years and the Lazybed seemed to have sorted those). I persisted, and found a relatively comfortable position, but the l=mattress itself was beginning to sink and when I would get into bed, immediately dropped me into a hole. Still, I managed with it for another 2 years before deciding it had to go. First, there was an Ecosa… it wasnt bad, but I re-injured my back a couple of weeks in and the Ecosa made it much worse, so I applied for a refund. All good, the Salvos picked it up a week later and the refund was in my account within 2 hours of that. So I still had the Lazybed, which was a relief after the Ecosa. 6 months later, I found myself in the same position, needing a new mattress. I opted for the Onebed Original (though the Essential attracted me at first, being the same design as Lazybed… but they had shaved off 2cm from the depth… no good for me). Anyway… so far, so good. It has 3 layers, one of which is memory foam and I think thats what sinks when I get into bed. However, that is balanced by the top layer which is latex. I’ve had it a while now (though am not to the 120 day limit for returning) and am pretty happy. It feels supportive, I have not woken with a backache since having it except when I sleep tense, and all in all I think it could be successful for longer than the previous. It was on special also, so $570 was acceptable to me to buy it, knowing theres a possibility I may have to get another mattress in a few years.

Making the decision is really difficult I know, and in the end, you have to decide if you will take the risk of buying something you’ve never actually seen.

I was limited: I dont like zones at all, and springs make a mattress too heavy for me to manage rotating it (though the current doesnt seem to need rotation). If you wanted srpings, you could check ebay for ZZAtelier which gets good reports, its also cheaper to buy from its ebay store than from its own website. No idea why.

Good luck!

1 Like

While OT for mattresses, it is a technique to make the ebay offer appear much better than it is. Find a product on ebay, compare the prices elsewhere including the manufacturer direct. Wow, how cheap is ebay! Buy Now. The ebay price is probably the ‘real one’ and the manufacturer site a ‘comparison price’ where if they sell a few direct, big $ profit.

2 Likes

June 2022

3 Likes

After hearing a Harvey Norman matress ad on TV spruiking that they sell Australian made matresses, I Googled to see if there are any imported matresses sold in Australia.

I came across this amusing website for Makin Matresses.

https://www.makinmattresses.com.au/buyer-beware/

1 Like

Moving somewhat OT but

I found one of the cartoons a bit racist in how it is presented and let them know. They obviously did not agree since it is still there. I reminded them of my opinion just now via their message chat.

Regardless at 8 months I still love my Makin Mattress Belissimo 4000 Duet medium. Time will tell how it ages but once again, a 5 year comfort promise to rebuild it.

1 Like

I found that the salesperson in the top cartoon looked suspiciously like Scotty from Marketing.