Latex mattress...can you recommend....no choice review

Had my softish pure latex mattress polluted in this hellhole and moving out and needing to buy a replacement fast. I am elderly and 60 kilograms.
Choice talks about latex but has not reviewed them.

Can anyone suggest? I looked at zanna for a start. Big issue is whether the latex will be far to firm for me, as softish is best for older and youngest people. I have zero difficulty leaping from a low soft bed…I read expert comments that we oldies needed high firm beds so we could get out of them. Not so.

2 Likes

Are you talking about Victoria as the hellhole, or something else? :laughing: How was your mattress polluted?

2 Likes

Latex can be expensive. Mr Z’s first wife bought ours about 30+ years ago and it was $thousands. It isn’t in good condition, fabric worn and stained, handles and piping pulled out, the foam has collapsed. Mr Z would never throw it out, so it is now under two other mattresses and I have packed out the depression with pillows, towels etc.

I don’t think latex has any magical qualities over other materials available eg memory foam. We have (on top of the latex) an innerspring with the foam and some cloth worn out, a cheap fabric covered foam (which is a bit hot in summer, but rather soft) and for him, a layer of rippled foam and mattress protector. This just shows that all mattresses degrade over time and use.

It might be worth looking at a mattress topper that is soft. Or trying out beds (if you can) at shops. Choice has pointed out there is a lot of scope to negotiate a price reduction.

5 Likes

I loved my latex mattress (it as really really firm even after 20 years) however it was also very heavy, and turning it or flipping it became more and more difficult. It cam with a fantastic base with adjustable slats and that was great, but alas I failed in foresight and got rid of that at the same time as I got rid of the latex. BIG mistake. Latex is just too darned heavy.

6 Likes

To Melton, no the unit is a hell hole,
There have been two sewage volcanoes in the 2007 built unit I have been renting. Came out of my shower drain. Took owner six days to remove sopping wet carpet in hallway, had connected with bedroom carpet but I ddnt know… then happened again much worse and came out doors of opposite unit too and down stairs. Technicians stood latex mattress on carpet and floor and then Used 4 huge fans for a weekend to blow carpet debris drying sewage and chemical spray thru bedroom chest and mattress and over the rest of the unit kitchen, my possessions and bedroom stuff in the living area, I was trapped by covid and now sick. Used so much medication have a bubble under the retina of one eye and lost vision, getting needles in eye. The agent owner and everyone else behaved appallingly, would not give owners Corp name or address or phone number, Blockages were not caused by me,

i had a superb latex years ago, I had previous to this one years ago a beautiful 10 cm latex that was not too heavy, was lovely to sleep on. Was squadgy.
I don’t want emf in metal springs.I notice electricity and emf, I don’t want asthma issues with weird materials. Don’t want foam or dead feeling material which degasses, definitely don’t want cotton wadding, it’s a microorganism haven. I have linen sheets and organic wool doona and pillows.

3 Likes

Have you thought about one of the bed in a box options? I’ve just recently acquired an Ecosa mattress, its very firm and I am NOT a lightweight, but there are others which you might like if you like squidgy. I’ll never have a mattress with springs ever again. The thing is if you dont want springs, foam, cotton wadding, you really are limiting yourself. Zanna gets good reviews, I tink.

5 Likes

What you describe is really atrocious.

I hope you find a suitable mattress.

4 Likes

You don’t state what size you need but sometimes going out of the box on suppliers works. I do not know anything about this product, but have bought many nice products from them. They have various mattress products and sizes, latex and foams, on their web site.

5 Likes

Another option is see if a latex bed is still best for you. Go to (a few) different stores that sell mattresses, along with your own pillow and try out everything they have. Lie on you back, side and belly and try and replicate your normal sleeping position to see what feels comfortable and gives you the support you need.

Jumping in an buying a new mattress based on the type you have previously owned is fraught with danger and coukd result in the wrong mattress being bought.

7 Likes

It may be worth checking your local Sleepy’s store for test beds. We’ve two king single beds with their latex mattress on a standard base frame that my dad and one of our adult son were very happy with (both in the 70kg body weight range). One is now our spare bed. No grumbles from the visitors or from my occasional use.

IKEA supplied a bed and thinner style latex mattress - for one of our other sons. He is mid 60kg and was quite happy. More budget friendly, but check the mattress size. Some of their products are Swedish sized.

I’m guessing you are on a budget and prefer latex.

5 Likes

I use a foam mattress, too hard, so put sheepskin underlay on, it’s brilliant and I have arthritis just about everywhere, so very sensitive to hard beds.

6 Likes

Hi @mudpuppy Many thanks for your post and feedback on your foam mattress.

Would it be possible to get the brand/make as that may be useful to @Glo to know and no problem if you don’t or can’t. It might be a choice or it may be one to not bother trying for them based on your feedback.

5 Likes

Thank you. That probably is my best solution, Can buy medical grade sheepskins too which go in washing machine so easy to deal with.
It fits with non allergenic too. Thank you again.mudpuppy, have just completed the move, surrounded by boxes, and could do with softness.

4 Likes

Mark M,
Thanks very much, . Budget in part because I am renting, will probably buy a home, so means moving the bed. So preferably a mattress for the nice futon base with slats which I have so makes it easy to move. I bought it for that reason,

I will check your advice, encouraging it’s worked for those weights, and have the suggestion of sheep underlay to soften. Really helpful, thank you,
Thanks PhiT …great price, Well spotted.

4 Likes

It was a Koala - a good mattress, but much better for me with sheepskin

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the info. Hopefully this might give @Glo another latex mattress option.

4 Likes

I bought a natural latex mattress from these people: https://www.pillowscience.com.au/

I found it impossibly hot and had to get rid of it. It was also very heavy.

These aren’t necessarily criticisms, I’m just pointing out the facts.

5 Likes

Thanks…good to know

3 Likes

I had the misfortune of buying a latex mattress last year. I live in Brisbane, so hot and humid in summer, and this mattress meant I spent the entire night sweating even with the air con on. It was also extremely heavy. I live alone so turning it was impossible. the cat also discovered she liked to get her claws into the latex. I have gotten rid of it now and have reverted to a traditional inner spring mattress. Now I get a great night’s sleep. My ex has a mattress which came in a box and he loves it.

2 Likes

I am thankful for all the answers people took time on. I just went thru the choice reviews and the advice, decided peoples bad experiences of latex settled it…the delightful latex of 1960s early 70s is no more. Being of historical age and alone bottom line I need way of getting it set up, and making the bed. The excessive weight and depth is repellent, separate layers would obviate that. Thanks everyone going to read the suggestions now, choice suggestions re ‘soft” which cripple elderly side sleepers are no good.

1 Like