Kogan Stories

Hi

I have attached Kogan’s idea of an instruction manual for their Kogan Atlas 2 in 1 pro tablet/laptop. If you can tell me where the numbers on page 4 and 5 correspond to I will give you three Ho’s with a merry Christmas at the end while dressed in a Santa suit!

Not so amusing is the fact I had two 10 in 1 steam mops fail on me after 1 use to Kogan’s Credit they credited the money back and things went smoothly enough. However know I also have a problem with the atlas pro. I had one contact very quickly from kogan to my claim and then nothing for 12 hours . I have since sent 3 or 4 email reply’s to their original question (with in a 90 minutes) (including video evidence). I sent an email with out the evidence and stated that I was going to get choice and fair trading involved and within a few hours I get a response that it has been sent up the line that was 3.20pm still waiting but then again they have done more in 24 hours than some other places. I will let you know if I have any problems with Kogan in regards to warranty claim.

3 Likes

I can empathise with you. After returning to Oz after 9 years abroad I thought Kogan was the Ant’s Pants.

…nearly 3 years on and I still haven’t worked out how to use my “Personal DVR”.

Inertia and lack of money I guess…

Eventually I will buy another DVR and it definitely WILL NOT be from Kogan!

While Kogan has been good for many there are traps to watch out for. One is their use of grey trade goods. We recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 from Kogan and a few days ago it broke. Went to the Samsung store to get it fixed under warranty only to be told that the device was meant for the NZ market and was therefore not able to be fixed under AUS warranty arrangements. We are now dealing directly with Kogan to resolve the issue. I will update this post with the final outcome when/if it gets resolved.

1 Like

Posted the faulty goods to Kogan and was notified it was received a week ago. The notification stated can take 14 days to test it let alone fix it! keep you posted on any more details.

1 Like

Kogan never again. Bought a android phone from them, bluetooth didn’t work (possibly software issue, it was a known issue thanks to a google search) should have returned it. Kogan stopped or rather didn’t release any further OS updates so the phone is stuck on some ancient android OS…

the pages 4 and 5… looks like someone pasted the wrong image there or rather they like to keep reusing the same image over and over.

I got my replacement 2 in 1 on Friday 30/12/16 after being sent on the 21/12/16. It took awhile for them to work out that indeed I was correct and that their was a faulty switch that mostly did not turn on the product. The faulty product was sent around the time I posted the original post so a bout a monthly admitted the postal service was slowed by Christmas.

I will wait and see how long this Kogan lasts!

Cheers

JZ

Good outcome here. Item could not be fixed and model no longer available. Were offered a store credit. Asked for refund and Kogan immediately agreed. Happy with the outcome and would have no problem dealing with them on more generic goods but will be very cautious when it comes to tech gizmos in the future.

We investigated Kogan refunds recently and found out that consumers are often left jumping through hoops. Here’s our advice:

2 Likes

In case you missed it, the ACCC are challenging Kogan in court about misleading discount ads.

3 Likes

The ACCC has taken Kogan to the Federal Court in relation to claims that Kogan allegedly raised their prices prior to a 10% discount sale, and returned their prices back down after the sale.

Should be interesting.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Games retailers (of all sorts) play

Following our investigation of the online electronics retailer Kogan’s disregard for certain provisions of the Australian Consumer Law, Kogan updated its Ts and Cs to make the primacy of the ACL a bit more clear. That might help, but the avalanche of consumer horror stories that came our way after publication of our story suggests it won’t be enough.

In addition to the cases highlighted in our investigation, we heard from many more consumers who’d been wronged by the retailer, the victims of stonewalling when they sought a refund or repair. If the cases we’ve heard are anything to go by, Kogan seems to routinely engage in a war of attrition against consumers trying to exercise their rights.

We alerted the ACCC about the issue and the agency apparently put Kogan on its watch list along with starting proceedings against the retailer for making false or misleading claims about a 10% discount promotion (posted above, thanks @Fred123 ).

What was misleading? Kogan raised the prices of the promoted products 10% or more before it launched the promotion, a favourite retailer tactic that only an assiduous regulator can detect. “We allege that Kogan’s advertisements were likely to have caused consumers to think they were getting products below their usual prices,” says ACCC commissioner Sarah Court. “In fact, Kogan had inflated product prices, which we say created a false impression of the effective discount.”

Towards the end of the promotion, Kogan’s ads said things like ‘48 hours left!’ and ‘ends midnight tonight!’, leading consumers to believe the so-called discounts were about to go away. After the promotion ended, Kogan put the prices of the affected products back down to where they were before the 10% markup. It’s not like the retailer needs to be so greedy. Kogan’s 2018 annual report shows they had a revenue of $412,312,395 and a net profit of $14,110,993 – up from $3,739,865 in 2017.

5 Likes

And now Kogan have added Kogan Credit Cards to Kogan Super and Kogan Home Loans.

What could possibly go wrong?

2 Likes

I bought a fridge from Hogan on Line and it is too big for the area and it has a dint in the door. What can I do about it?

Welcome to the forum @thomp37, three issues you raised

Google knows about Paul Hogan, the Hogan clothing shop in the USA, and some Hogan certification programs, but not a ‘Hogan on Line’.

Perhaps you meant Kogan, and I’ll assume that is the case. If I got that right, you can edit (correct) your topic title to Kogan

That would be a change of mind. You measured and checked product dimensions prior to ordering, didn’t you? Note their change of mind policy that is included on the following link to their faulty product page.

A dint in a door is a minor fault that can be easily fixed by a new door. Note in their T&C it is stated: (the following is a hot link to Kogan’s faulty products page)

Please note that where Products are faulty or damaged upon delivery, photographic evidence of the damage or fault must be submitted to Kogan Support via the Help Centre within 3 days of receipt of the product. Failure to do so may result in your claim being denied.

While that is not the last word, especially under Australian Consumer Law, it is always easier to work with a merchants T&C regardless of their merits, than having to argue points of law.

A bottom line issue is buying an inappropriate product* is not covered by the Australian Consumer Law and companies are free to set their own policies for ‘change of mind’. Unfortunately Kogan has been called out numerous times on this forum. This topic is representative. (If you did mean Kogan I will move your post into this topic.)

A synopsis of your consumer rights with some good links to resources is at

From my viewpoint worst case is you may have to accept a new door (or door panel) and try to on-sell the fridge. A good case would be if they agree to accept a return, you paying the freight. A great case would be if they agree to accept a return at no cost to you.

Please let us know how you go.

* If a customer engages with a supplier and explicitly states their requirements and asks appropriate questions, and is then sold an inappropriate product, the Australian Consumer Law applies and a refund can be sought. If a customer just purchases a product no questions asked, and it turns out to be inappropriate, that is on the customer.

7 Likes

Kogan does have a conditional Change of Mind Policy…

https://www.kogan.com/au/returns-policy/

It is conditional as it only applies to a its own ‘Kogan Exclusive Brands’… If you have bought one of these products and it is still within the 14 day change of mind period, contact Kogan ASAP to see if you can have the fridge returned.

6 Likes

Just an added thought, if you had bought the fridge because the dimensions advertised on the site had been incorrect on that site (as examples if it was described as 920 mm wide and it was actually 1000 mm wide or was 700 mm wide) and you purchased it based on the advertised dimensions then the item would be covered under ACL as a major fault because it was different to what was described.

6 Likes

It possibly would come under misleading claims…

5 Likes

Kogan is still at it. Their Kogan waffle maker was $29 in February then when I looked at it a month ago the same one was $69. Then surprise surprise a couple of weeks later they offered a whopping 40% diiscount bringing the price down to $35.

2 Likes