Games retailers (of all sorts) play

Speaking of misleading advertising, I was in the local Coles supermarket on Tuesday (they introduce the next week’s specials on Wednesday). I grabbed a bag of Clinkers (yes, the chocolate-coated confection), and noticed that the shelf price was displayed as $6 - up from $5 last time I bought them.

The Clinkers scanned through the register as $5, so I was somewhat relieved. The following day, Coles advertised them as $4.50… down from $6! I bet I know what price they’ll be next Wednesday.

10 Likes

Following on from the ACCC calling out Kogan, there are a few techniques retailers use that are apparently pervasive. Who would have ever though they gamed the system?

https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/consumer/2019/05/23/kogans-retail-fake-sale/

8 Likes

Might be time to lodge a complaint as a 20% price increase to then substantiate a 25% following on discount is almost fradualent behaviour. The ACCC might be interested in this one especially as you have proof…receipts and advertising sale for the next day.

My understanding from a infamous carpet selling business who was always on sale, a business needs to demonstrate the presale price was an actual real price (namely sold at the specified presale price for a period prior to the sale). Coles has not done this and why they should be pulled up.

See…

9 Likes

Agree with above. This kind of thing needs to be reported. Watchdogs tend to rely on the general public’s eyes.

I don’t normally pay attention to when I shop (I just buy whatever has the lowest unit price on the day I show up) but I might start to do so - with my phone camera handy.

3 Likes

This ABC article discusses why some retailers ‘play games’ with the consumer…

2 Likes

It reminded me of an issue of Mad magazine I read as a teenager.

It had a spoof of the US department stores, and in one part, it portrayed the reporter talking with the manager of the lawnmower department.

The sign behind a lawnmower read "SALE $300, SAVE $100.

The reporter asked the manager what happens if they don’t sell, to which he replied 'We put the price up to $500. save $200".

The reporter asked the manager what happens if they still don’t sell to which he replied “We put the price up to $700, save $400, and thay sell like hot cakes”.

Probably closer to the truth than fiction.

5 Likes