King Living Furniture - after sales service

Just want to see if others have experienced similar issues with King Living. We bought a $16,000 lounge suite from Canberra store. On delivery it was thrown roughly off the truck, put together without proper testing and as soon as the installer contractors left and we sat in it / loud clunks in mechanism of 3 of 5 seats. A year later and several failed replacement mechanisms later 2 of the seats still not fixed- products now made in China not Australia. The service has got too be the worst i have ever experienced and its certainly the most overpriced expensive faulty thing i have bought. I chase them, they dont reply and the odd time they do its generic crap about covid delays, shows a complete lack of knowledge or care that their product is still faulty 12 months after delivery and they incorrectly blame their repair contractor for delays. I have asked them on multiple occassions to take it away and give us a refund. I have told them i intend to start small claims action but they just sont care. Will never buy anything from them again.

5 Likes

Hi @Grimka and Welcome to the Community,

Considering the history you posted you need to read your rights in the Australian Consumer Law, review advice from Choice and the ACCC, linked in many topics on the Community, and immediately go formal with a well written ā€˜Letter of Complaintā€™ putting your case and what you want by when.

Be sure everything is in writing and in a dossier format should you go to your xCAT for restitution. In the first instance the Letter goes to King Living, the retailer; and if they fob you off (again) make a formal complaint to your fair trading (whose participation can be from helpful to a waste of everyoneā€™s time), and then on the the tribunal.

Unfortunately some businesses need ā€˜persuasionā€™ to deliver on your rights and know the limits of what fair trading can and will do, and essentially thumb their noses until the customer goes away. Taking it to the tribunal is a different matter, but prior to doing that the consumer needs to start with a formal letter of complaint backed by evidence, the history, and work through the process.

They know their worst downside is refunding your lounge and the upside is you wonā€™t follow through and will eventually go away. Keep that in mind as you work through the system. Please keep the topic updated with how you go.

6 Likes

One take on what ā€œKingā€ living is all about.

And more up to date,

https://www.kingliving.com.au/blog/vogue-living-david-king-profile%20/

With a reputation to protect one might also ask if the service @Grimka has received is really how the business sees itself or in this example there is a more immediate problem senior management would like to remedy.

What would Oprah think?

Hopefully the lines of communication open in response.

5 Likes

In my experience fluff pieces, and that is what the link is, are not always congruent with business practices, yet citing the contents of such articles in a formal complaints process can be helpful to an unhappy customer.

4 Likes

Hi All, just an update to let you know i think i have had success - i emailed CEO and attached the 30 emails showing the 13 months of failed fixes and rubbish after sales service, and they are coming to get the lounge suite and apparently i will get a full refund. So now we have a substantial period with no couch but am still glad to see the back of this one!

12 Likes

Hi Grimka, we have a similar problem with King Furniture. We had 2 couches delivered and installed back in April which had some obvious stains on some cushions. One of these stains was identified and a tech guy subsequently came to attempt to remove them. He wasnā€™t able to, and a replacement cushion for only one of them was ordered. We were contacted by customer service back in May to confirm that one is on order. A follow contact with customer service a week after this to express our requirement of an extra cushion replacement, and our overall displeasure with the entire customer service experience has so far gone unanswered!

3 Likes

All i can suggest is kerp record of your emails and demand replacement or refund and cite consumer rights. I also found going above the standard customer rep the only way i got my refund and i waited a year to do that but by then i had 30 emails showing how useless their product and service was. We have now bought a nick Scali couch at 1/4 of the price - i just hope its less bother than the King couch!

2 Likes

You might have a top experience, but if you have any issues with that one you may find these other topics interesting.

3 Likes

Oh dear - that sounds like the same crap just different name! At least the amount spent is a lot less and its not leather this time. We did pay extra for after sales care so hopefully that helps if we need it. We wont get it for another 2 months. Will report back when i get it.

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Problems with Nick Scali Furniture 2022 onward

I am having a similar difficulty - after contacting Consumer Affairs organisation I have been promised a refund but now cannot make contact to actually action it.

I have searched previously for the CEO contact - how did you find it?

2 Likes

This could make one choke trying to match their talk to their walk.

(@mark_m already posted an article about David King)

Try anna.carrabs@kingliving.com

2 Likes

I emailed the CEO and the owner David with my 30 pages of evidence about terrible service and faulty product and got a refund shortly afterwards

3 Likes

Iā€™ve found the name easily enough but I am not sure any of the contact details I can find are legit.

1 Like

LinkedIn (a professional network that resembles focused social media) is a good resource to find contact information if you are a member. Some just use internal LinkedIn accounts and some have their emails visible.

Sending email with read and delivery return receipt set (not all email honours them) is helpful. Sometimes sending to an expected email like the CEO and ccā€™ing customer service with an ATTN: [CEO name] gets attention too.

Perhaps @Grimka would message you the contact information she used if she does not wish to post it?

3 Likes

I sent my email to
anna.carrabs@kingliving.com
And
David.king@kingliving.com

One or both of them certainly worked as i got a reply from an underling who could make me an offer within 3 days.

3 Likes

Great tips and info shared above. Thanks. We have had our King Cloud V less than a month. 3 seater. All 3 of the seperate recliner units have failed 2 or more times since delivery. I am an expert at resetting and power cycling them now. Itā€™s like the early days of dialup adsl. Except itā€™s a couch.
Deciding whether to go through this process or return it and save ourselves the horror.

Suggestion. At your discretion, use the product rating website productreview dot com dot au as they actually read your review of the couch and ask for you to contact them.
Also, itā€™s a site with a lot of traffic from people researching stuff before they buy. ā€¦ So like here, youā€™ll helpā€¦

I wish Iā€™d read the PRODUCTREVIEW website before buying King Cloud Vā€¦ Itā€™s got some issues and cheap buttons are the weakest of several weak links.

WHILE Iā€™M HERE couch squeaks, 3 seat cushions are all different shaped and thicknesses, lumber thickness not same as in the shop/demo model, 3 units have each failed 2 or more times and 2 of them have lost memory for the basic ā€œclose functionsā€. So now has to be reprogrammed. Or replaced. So just a minute ago I read the warranty document which is LONG. 25 years on the steel frame. 2 years on fabrics, cushions and electronics. What?!

2 Likes

Recliner chair replacement mechanism.
This is a review l posted on product review. Itā€™s the 2nd review out of frustration and disappointment with the process of King furniture after sales service.
This sager is totally unacceptable and to be frank l am extremely upset over this matter, itā€™s been going on since 20th January 2023. King has turned a simply request into a nightmare so you can imagine how lā€™m feeling.

I have been told on several occasions that a work order is in place and the part was in stock so it wouldnā€™t belong before l would be contacted by the technician to have it replaced. Why is it so hard to get this right and to have someone CALL ME to explain what is happening. This is the worse after sales service l have ever encounted. The nimbus recliner chair is only three years old and a replace mechanism is required already, poor workmanship! I wouldnā€™t have expected this from an high end furniture company, will never buy King again!

I had already paid $150- for the replacement part as requested back on the 6th Feb 2023 and was told at that point the replacement part is in stock as above. As mentioned in an email 18/3/2023 from customer service you will waive this. l would EXPECT someone to call me to have this refunded.

Dates of my enquires:
20/1/2023 - 1st call. I explained the problem and that there was a small broken white disk found under the chair. I was asked to take photos and email it thru the broken part, which l did along with a video showing what the chair is doing when extension of the footrest ETC. Apparently that was enough to determine what the problem was with the chair.

6/2/2023 - called again, no contact received from anyone. Advised part needs to be paid for and the order was put in place again! At this stage l was made aware l would have to pay $150-for the part so l did 6/2/2023. Apparently the part was in stock and the ETA around 28/2/23. Email from King 6/2/2023 confirming our phone conversation and what will be happening.

2/3/2023 - called again, no contact received from anyone. Advised a call was put in place to call meā€¦.never had that call. From what l was told they couldnā€™t see were the part had arrived ETA 28/2 as per email 6/2/23.

14/3/2023 - once again no contact. Wanted to know why l hadnā€™t been contacted. Advised an order has been put in place once AGAIN and l would be contacted. What is going on King? What a debacle!

I had also placed an online complaint thru product review. Kaitlyn replied by saying she would follow it up and will contact with me as per her email, never heard from her! I tried calling her, no response.

I have totally lost my patience and sick and tired of hearing the same story over and over and having to make call after call. I am extremely upset and at the end of my tether. How hard is it to have this job sorted? I would expect the mechanism be placed as a priority and have the part expressed to Brisbane Qld and an immediate response to have a technician contact me to have it installed. Not as early April as suggested in the email from customer service.

Would never had expected this to happen by a high end furniture company. Deplorable after sale service and workmanship. No one at head office wants to know about it and flicks it onto customer service. You should be ashamed King!

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Carole,

I moved your topic into this older one. If you peruse the last few entries there are a number of contact points you might try to get King ā€˜serviceā€™ on board and getting your part installed.

Please let us know how you go with it.

2 Likes

Thanks Phil, appreciate your response :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes