Do you use a pill box? šŸ’Š

ā€¦ I donā€™t remember the last time I had such a day, but it was way before I had kids ā€¦

Same - not all medications are static, Iā€™ve had tests daily for some periods to adjust dosage, but usually only weekly or fortnightly ā€¦

2 Likes

I have the same pill box as you Meltam, except itā€™s clear & blue in colour. It was somewhat difficult to prize open initially but I did persevere and although it is still not overly easy, I manage it ok. As others have mentioned, the lettering does rub off, so manufacturers need to look into that. (I feel I have buckleys chance there as they are all made in Asia and the people buying donā€™t seem to care.) Anyway, I find that particular box is sufficient for my needs. Morning & evening tablets, both script and none script. Hoping a permanent marking pen may help with the lettering once itā€™s totally gone!! Though once again, I suspect that wonā€™t actually do the trick. (Jaded arenā€™t I, but maybe my over 80 age may have something to do with that!!) If I ever feel the need for Webster packs, I shall do that. (May look at the pill pkts too, as also mentioned by someone.)

2 Likes

I, like many others, use an am and pm one to store 14 days worth of pills, here is a market untapped, design one with writing on it for a fortnight, My last one only broke because I dropped it on the tile floor, had it for many years and could still read the writing. The travelling overseas is an interesting one. I cut off the front of the box and attach it to the foil packs so it takes up less room. The others I put in a larger container mixed up and carry the prescriptions and a Dr letter to say what I am currently on. I have always carried them in hand luggage as well as clexane injections and have never once been questioned either domestically or internationally. I did forget some pills which needed to be kept in fridge on a holiday to Italy. In Rome I could buy them over the counter and much cheaper than here at home with a prescription. I was so relieved as I thought I would need to find a GP to write me another prescriptionā€¦ A 4WD bus trip in the Kimberleys meant I had to put the pills in the Esky every day and get them back every night. I always take my own to hospital, most use mine rather than order more.

2 Likes

As i start each strip of pills, I write the initial of the day on the cover of each pill with a fine texta. That way I can check that I have taken that morningā€™s pill. (During lockdown I occasionally used it in reverse, to check what day it was.) My method might be too fiddly for people taking multiple pills several times a day.

2 Likes

It may be prudent to note point 4.

There is similar advice from a number of sources and the Aussie Govt Smart Traveller website.

The caution is that just because one has not had a problem previously it is not an assurance packaged medications will always be acceptable loose packed or not kept within the original packaging. My prior personal experience suggests anything less than keeping all medications in their blister packs and original boxes etc can lead to a very long delay. Some nations borders seem easier to pass through than others, language differences not considered.

A Webster pack may also be an option to save on space?
ā€˜https://www.traveldoctor.com.au/healthy-travel-facts/travelling-medications

2 Likes

Iā€™ve often thought of using one of these but have worried how tablets that are blister packed would last in a non airtight environment?

The obvious solution Wouk to cut out the individual blisters and put them in a pill box but all the pill boxes Iā€™ve seen donā€™t have compartments that are big enough.

I would like the to see if the durability/efficacy of medications stored on in pill boxes is maintained?

Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi, I think this is a great idea. As a nurse Iā€™ve arranged for many patients to go home with a Webster Pack. I thought they were good but not so sad anymore. This is because my 97 year old Mum prior to being diagnosed with mild dementia kept informing me how difficult they were to get into. I have to agree. Unless you have good hand strength they are a bit hard. The other problem is that she and others Iā€™ve spoken with find the dispensing info difficult to read unless you have good eyesight. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

No, I donā€™t use a pill box, even though I take multiple medications in the morning and evening. Fortunately, thanks to an excellent memory despite my age, I prefer to continue remembering what I take rather than doing so. But if that changes and I stuff up somewhat no doubt I would do so immediately, rather than face the potential risks.

1 Like

I wonder if the tablets are in ā€˜normalā€™ atmosphere when they are being packaged in foil, or are they packaged in a clean room environment? Certainly not in a vacuum. Some bottled tablets come with water capture devices, so they need to be kept dry.

I think it is more a case of keeping tablets in a clean, dry, dark environment so the efficacy doesnā€™t drop off faster, rather than in an airtight container.

2 Likes

This is also another interesting point, yes

is important as indicated here:

If one is possibly using a pill box, possibly medicines for a day or two should only be placed in the pill box unless the pill box is airtight and stored in clean, dry, dark environment.

Possibly Choice may wish to include advice in their article, as well as those pill boxes which have airtight seals.

4 Likes

After trying others I bought one of these.

I find that the catches on each compartment lower the chance that a lid may open at the wrong time, leading to spilt pills.

I have added coloured sheet plastic to the bottom of each compartment so that I can see my pills, which are all white.

3 Likes

Mine is like Meltamā€™s.
I use both the am and pm. I think because itā€™s back to back, I seem to have the rather unnerving ability of taking my pm tablets in the am, and vice-a versa. Which isnā€™t good for me. Though I havenā€™t done that for some time.
Iā€™ve had it for so long some if the tabs donā€™t click properly any more.
If Iā€™m travelling I secure the lids with sticky tape.
I take 7 different pills at night, but a total of 10. I have arthritis in my hands, and find with a number of the blister packs getting the pill out isnā€™t easy, and a few are in plastic bottles, the child proof lids, then the seal on a new bottle are extremely hard to open. I often drop one during the loading, timber floors, crawling around with the torch to find it isnā€™t easy.
I have thought of Webster packs, but I helped an elderly neighbour with hers some time ago, and found they werenā€™t that easy to get the pills out of. Also, some of my medications can be varied by me on how I am feeling, with the Webster pack, all your medication is retained at the pharmacy.
I would like one like I have, that is bigger, and not back to back.

3 Likes

I use a very simple 2 compartment pill box (see pic attached) purchased at my local chemist for under $10 (no branding at all). I only take pills twice daily so load before breakfast. Works well for me.
20220826_114958-001

2 Likes

I now use Folca pill boxes, they are brilliant, never fail. Since 2008 I tried several of the regular 1 week type from the chemist first - compartments that didnt seal or were too hard to open with arthritis were my usual problems.
No issues with Folca, as long as I buy genuine. The lookalikes are still fairly good, just not as close fitting.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had nothing but trouble with this type, the lids snap and writing wears off easily

4 Likes

Naturally i use original packets for travelling. The pill boxes are only for 1 week anyway - no Customs is likely to quibble about that quantity of loose tablets.

In cheaper models the plastic overstretches so sections will not seal, and open accidentally.

I have used masking tape inside the compartments - writing rubs off everything else. Does make it hard to read, when tablets are on top - but is only a check.

2 Likes

It is not about the quantity, it is about what they might be. Even quantity of 1 of a prohibited drug or substance is enough to visit the special interview room. Is it this? or that?

3 Likes

No one has yet gone through my bags with a fine tooth comb, so never been a problem. My weekly boxes travel in my carryon bag.

1 Like