Do you use a pill box? šŸ’Š

I have been using pill boxes for years for my partner and now its done daily morning and evening due to ever changing pills or doses. In the past when using pill boxes we had a 2 compartment per day for a weeks worth of pills. Biggest problem we mainly had was when emptying pills another compartment would fly open, in the end we would have elastic bands to keep the lids closed. The catches seemed to be poorly designed overall.
Google was our research vessel with a vast array of pill boxes to choose from.
Would like to see pill cutters ( or crushers ) added to this survey.
Webster packs are not really an option for us due to the changes in doses

3 Likes

Really, really small, clockwork powered (save the planet), the kind of thing that could also be used to polish the toenails of your white rat.

2 Likes

I use pill boxes for supplements. Any meds I take are in blister packs which is the best place for them - protected from humidity and light. The problem (I believe) with pill boxes is they do not protect the contents properly - from light, moisture (humidity) and oxygen (air). I load a weeks worth of supplements but also store the box in a zip seal bag and store in a dark cupboard. I little bit fussier when using but less risk of deterioration to the contents.

5 Likes

I think most things are covered pretty well, however, I find travelling with pill boxes very problematic, as all that I have tried pop open and (oops) tablets everywhere.
Packing in a resealable sandwich bag only helps a to keep the pills together. I does not stop the problemā€¦

4 Likes

Several years ago I purchased from Amazon about some pill pouches (several hundred for about $20). Great for travelling, carrying a few pills in my purse such as panadol or a midday pill if I am out. Also great for storing all sorts of little things such as beads. 7cm x 7cm & you can write on them in biro.

5 Likes

You raise a point yet to be covered, travelling. While they can readily be used for domestic travels, pill boxes or pill bags arenā€™t recommended for overseas travel. It is recommended by many organisations, including government departments and the TGA, that medicines are kept in their original packaging when travelling overseasā€¦

This is so the medicines can be readily identified when passing through customs. They last thing one would want is an over zealous customs officer thinking they are an illicit substance as they are unidentifiable. Such could ruin a holiday.

The TGA also provides other good advice about travelling with medicines.

9 Likes

Similar story to others. Using one like meltam. I only have morning medication so get 14 days worth. Not happy with the print fading and although they havenā€™t broken, the hinges do feel a bit flimsy. My biggest problem is not so much with the pill box but having to get the tablets out of the foil sealed packets and not breaking the tablet or worse, a capsule, in the process. I used to keep my vitamins in with the pharmacy medication but they smell awful.

4 Likes

Excellent point, which Iā€™ll definitely mention in the buying guide!

4 Likes

I have used pill boxes for well over ten years (Iā€™m 91) and find them indispensable. I take 8 tablets each day at the moment. It has been up to about 12 on occasion. Mine has 4 rows for Morning, Noon, Evening and Bed time. Each row is a different colour. My wife (82) uses the same model with different colours so that we can easily distinguish between them. The worst thing about the model (name unknown but bought at the local pharmacy) is that the painted details (Day/time) wear off quickly but they are easily repainted with a permanent marker pen. The lids on each cell are securely clipped and open easily. The whole box is very easily washed. I recommend them to anyone needing to take pills on a permanent basis. Oh. and they are great for taking your meds with you if you go away.

5 Likes

Solar powered rechargeable Dremel style multi tool with a micro slit cutting disc. Personally I rely on the moulded centre line and healthy thumb nails for an anvil.

A more serious observation.
Pills able to be used in half doses have a moulded centre line. Similar to how a tile cutter works Iā€™ve found applying equal pressure either side with the indent facing up and a hard object directly under the pill produces a reliable usually zero waste result. My thumbnail suffices for smaller pills.

The only pill cutters Iā€™ve been offered are designed to cut like a knife or blade. The results have nearly always produced waste and uneven results. In some instances the pill is broken into multiple portions. Itā€™s why I raised pill cutters in the discussion. Like pill boxes pill cutters are items only some of us use or find necessary.

For those who have variable dose medications the alternatives of Webster packs or compounding may not be suitable. I do wonder how those on warfarin based medication or using common beta blockers manage. A pill box is certainly a useful accessory if it seals reliably and is easy to open with aged hands.

That may be a further test Choice could attempt.
How practical is each pill box tested with fat or aged arthritic fingers - ease to refill and ease to dispense? @kim

4 Likes

I use the same container. You have covered pretty well all the things that need testing.

4 Likes

I use the webster pack. It covers 4 weeks, at a cost of $26 for the chemist to pack it. The only problem I have with it is one or two tablets fly all over the place when you try and get them out. Another problem is sometimes I forget to take them at all(due to short term memory loss).

6 Likes

This sounds like mine. Only just started using one from the Pharmacy. Each of the seven-day strips has four compartments, Morn, Noon, Eve, bed. Is OK to use so far but suspect hinges will fail. Photo

3 Likes

I store my loaded tablet boxes in our frost-free fridge. It has minimum humidity, and is dark, unless of course the door is open.

3 Likes

Probably something of an impression or indent or moulded raised print would be better - Iā€™ve rewritten mine many times, as it wears off probably mostly due to it being in my backpack a lot - itā€™s not a huge problem to work out the days, theres only seven of them and they are in a row :rofl: (and nearly everyone knows the seventh day is Saturday :thinking:).

If one were to do raised letters then the addition of braille might be worthwhile ā€¦

Mine cost a couple of dollars and Iā€™d consider it disposable when it breaks. Itā€™s lasted 3 years so far, no sign of mechanical failure ā€¦

6 Likes

Doesnā€™t that depend on which is your Day of Rest? :laughing::rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, I use a pill box but not for the times/days of the week. They are handy for home and travel to put pills in that I use frequently (aspirin, ibuprofen, allergy meds, and prescription meds). The pill box allows me to have all my meds in one place as some I use daily and others occasionally. Instead of remembering the color/size of the pill it would be nice to be able to label each ā€˜dayā€™ with my own markings.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve observed pill boxes are available to suit either of the more common options for when to start the week.

Is it worth considering many medications come in well sealed foil blister packs. Some have perforations for individual tablets. This suggests keeping the product well sealed is important.

Are pill boxes suitable for all tablet/pill types, given up to 7 days exposure to the environment once loaded?
Should some pills be kept sealed in their packaging until they are to be taken?

P.S.
As to which day should be the first on the pill box. Should one just load it up and start on the current day of the week?
I follow a Wednesday rite to the day of rest. Mostly because the near neighbours observe 2/4stroke rituals on Saturdays and Sundays. Choice of implement or mowing machine akin to the most fervent of disciples.

3 Likes

Perhaps write (in reverse) on the inside of the lid? It should show through and wonā€™t abrade in the same way.

2 Likes

I bought this 7 x 4 pill organiser from a $2 shop about seven years ago. Figuring it wouldnā€™t last too long, I purchased two, about $1 each.
Iā€™m still using the first one, letters have worn off the lids, but that doesnā€™t matter, I can tell the difference between morning and evening pills. None of the lids have detached, which is more important. When Iā€™m travelling I wrap a few elastic bands around to keep the lids shut.
Being a long term diabetic, Iā€™m losing the nerves in my fingers, not a great thing for a mechanic, or anybody trying to do fine work, and while some of my tablets are really huge, like two to a compartment, some are getting REALLY small and hard to remove from their blister packs when Iā€™m doing my weekly reload, but thatā€™s a whole ā€˜nother problem.
Iā€™d be happy to have my pharmacist do my pills up in his pre-packs except that my dosage changes once in a while, which would be inconvenient for both of us. Besides, Iā€™d like to retain SOME control for as long as I can.

6 Likes