I have been using the pill organisers for years. I have been using the ones with 14 slots; seven days AM & PM. I only pack tablets for the morning, so I have 14 days worth of medication per organiser.
I prepack one month’s worth (actually 28 days) at a time. I take fewer and consistent medication at night, so I don’t bother prepacking those.
The two lid sections are removable, so it can be washed after it’s empty. Unfortunately, the plastic is flimsy at times and the hinges, where the lid folds for the day, can break. Also, I have had the plastic snap along the spine, between two of the days.
The security of closure varies when you buy them. Some close securely, some will pop open without being touched. I always have a rubber band on each side running length-wise, just to be sure then tablets don’t fall out when I tip the dispenser to take out some pills. That is the other problem, frequently the lids either side of the one you are opening also come open, so when you tip the dispenser three lots come out.
I have tried many different styles before settling on this model. Not so much now, but in the past, I need the larger volume for each slot, and I had to pack the meds in carefully, as the medication just fitted into one of those slots if stacked just right.
If you look around, they can be quite cheap, so if it breaks, it gets consigned to storage. Eventually I can put another one together from the saved bits.
The quality of the printing varies, and sometimes the labelling comes off. Not a problem for me, but it could be for many.
Suggested testing criteria:
- Do the individual flaps open cleanly or do they open their neighbours?
- Can they be taken apart for cleaning (liquid tablets/caps can leak)?
- Does a spillage in one compartment stay confined to that compartment?
- Do the hinges wear or break after long term use?
- Are the closures still secure after long term use?
- Can you tip the organiser on its head without spilling the contents?
- Can the organiser be dropped without it spilling contents?
- How easy is each tab to open (think about old hands)?
- How easy is it to take out one compartment’s contents?
- Are they transparent enough to see the contents (eg is it empty or not)?
- Does the printing remain legible after extensive handling and washing?
- is it lockable (eg for elderly/dementia patient carer can open)
- Are they repairable?
- Are they recyclable?
- Are they value for money (most are cheap plastic)?