Credit Card Travel Insurance

@Ferntree , I moved your question into this older topic because it is germane even though pre COVID. There are other topics, some of age, that might be interesting also.

and

1 Like

Oh dear what a pity you lost my response to your response in bumping my query to an older thread. The terms and conditions of the insurance are set out; but there is no way to ascertain that you have scored a policy by making the purchase required, or indeed make a claim, because both in require logging onto a website that doesn’t recognise the company’s credit card numbers. It’s dodgy as. All of the issues about travel rip-offs – airlines, travel agents and insurance – are going to hot up again in the future as more people are travelling soon.

The forum software should have brought everything that had been posted across. Apologies, we may have passed in the night while you were typing.

I am understanding your point. The insurance company provides the policy but the CC issuer is actually the validating entity. When I travelled on my Westpac insurance (issue by Allianz) I always kept a record of the required purchase transaction and carried a copy on my itinerary.

I never had to make a claim whilst overseas, but had to process a comparatively small one on return. The process was to cite the policy number (from the Westpac PDS in my case) and include a copy of the relevant CC statement showing the purchase.

Most CC insurance indicates that is what the pax/customer needs to do, especially if needing an approval from the Australian office whilst overseas - the policy number and being able to send or have the statement copy sent. Some premium cards have a special customer service department that can arrange that in an emergency, and some cards will provide emergency ‘cover’ essentially as a loan until the card holder can lodge a claim. It varies among cards.

AFAIK CC provided travel insurance has always been done like that. The details for your card/insurance should be in the PDS somewhere.

1 Like

Thanks. I will have proof of purchase and I suppose I could always contact the actual insurer direct (in fact I have already, to complain about this set-up.) This is a half-baked, one-off travel insurance offer, on which the ‘t’s haven’t been crossed nor the ‘i’s dotted.

2 Likes

This thread has made me nostalgic about my travels which have been interrupted by Covid for a few years now.

When I travel I let my bank know and an optional offer of free travel insurance
pops-up on the website.
It’s with Allianz and subject to the use of the credit card to pay for the trip.
Immediately on registering a Certificate of Insurance is issued, and a couple of times I’ve asked for a hard-copy and for their travel insurance booklet and had no problems getting those.

When traveling I make sure I have my policy number and any emergency phone numbers of the insurance always with me.

I’ve never had to use my insurance
so far, touch wood, but feel secure with the above set-up. Here’s wishing for more traveling in the future :laughing:

4 Likes