Credit Card Travel Insurance

We’ve recently updated our credit card travel insurance review :airplane: :credit_card:.

3 Likes

I looked to check the Westpac policy against others. I suggest there are some errors at worst or oversimplifications at best. An extract from Choice for two Westpac card policies:

My Westpac PDS lists pre-existing conditions that are covered automatically, and states one can apply for cover for other pre-existing conditions for a $45 or $75 admin fee.

The Choice report is an excellent place to start, but always read the applicable PDS for an authoritative last word.

edit: I noticed that the comparison tables have (probably) more up-to-date information than when one goes to the card policy details. For example the Westpac cover is provided by Allianz, but the detail list for the card still shows the previous provider, QBE.

4 Likes

Thanks for letting us know about the discrepancy @PhilT. Our product detail pages were incorrectly displaying old data, but have been updated to the new data now (browser refresh may be needed for the updates to display). The ‘compare’ funciton was using the correct data, so this should be accurate. We agree - always read the PDS and terms and conditions before committing to a financial product.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it is a browser error on my part of a page display error but I am seeing St George labelled cards in the BankSA listings and no images in the St George listings. I tried it in 2 different browsers with the same result.

3 Likes

Thanks @grahroll, appreciate the report. Looks like an error with the images, I’ll let you know once it’s resolved.

2 Likes

Here’s our 2019 update on credit card travel insurance:

2 Likes

Reference the recent CHOICE review of Travel Insurance provided by Credit Card providers, from a major Bankwest insurance downgrading notification received today it seems that a review will need to be made of the survey.

Is it possible to cut and paste a copy of the notification of changes if received electronically (or upload a photo blocking out any personal information for a paper letter)…this would allow Choice to see what is being issued to Bankwest customers and what the changes are.

I assume these are the changes you are referring to…

This is what I received -

As a Bankwest Gold, Platinum or World Mastercard™ cardholder, you’re eligible for complimentary credit card insurance. We’ve reviewed the Overseas Travel Insurance offering provided through our supplier Cover-More* and we’re making some changes to the eligibility criteria and to what’s included in the complimentary cover.

From 9 December 2019, you won’t need to meet the minimum spend criteria to be eligible for complimentary overseas travel insurance. You’ll still need to have an activated, open, eligible card when you’re travelling.

You’ll have cover for the basics with Complimentary Overseas Travel Insurance, with the option to upgrade for extra protection.
What will you now be covered for?
The table below shows which benefits will be complimentary and those you can pay to upgrade if you wish.

Overseas Travel Insurance
(from 9 December 2019) Gold & Platinum Mastercard® World Mastercard
Maximum trip length covered by Complimentary Overseas Travel Insurance 31 days 6 months
Overseas Emergency Medical and Hospital Expenses^ Complimentary cover Complimentary cover
Personal Liability
Accidental Death
Baggage and Personal Goods
Additional expenses^ Upgraded Benefits
^You can pay a premium to upgrade your Complimentary cover
Cancellation Costs^
Special Event Upgraded Benefits
^You can pay a premium to upgrade your Complimentary cover
Rental Vehicle Insurance Excess
Kidnap and Ransom
Hijack and Detention
Baggage Delay Expenses
Travel Documents, Traveller’s Cheques, Credit Cards and Cash
Travel Delay Expenses
Domestic Pets Boarding
Overseas Funeral or Cremation, or Body Repatriation
Travel Service Provider Insolvency
Resumption of Journey
Loss of Income

^If you’re 80 years of age or older PLEASE NOTE:

You are not covered under the Overseas Emergency Medical and Hospital Expenses section.
You are not covered under the Additional Expenses or Cancellation Costs sections for claims caused by your health.
You cannot upgrade to the Upgraded Benefits.

If you like, you can Call Cover-More directly on 1300 468 340 to enquire about other travel insurance options that may be available to you.
Which policy applies for your trip?

If you’ve booked travel prior to 9 December 2019 and; The following travel insurance coverage applies:
Satisfy all the travel insurance eligibility criteria of the existing PDS Existing Product Disclosure Statement applies, regardless of when your trip occurs
Don’t satisfy all the travel insurance eligibility criteria of the existing PDS New Product Disclosure Statement applies to travel occurring on or after 9 December 2019

How to get the Upgraded Benefits (from 9 December 2019)
Before travelling, you can upgrade with Cover-More from the Bankwest website or by calling 1300 468 340. A premium applies and you will be issued with a Certificate of Insurance.
How can I extend the journey? (from 9 December 2019)
If you’re going away for longer than the maximum trip length covered by Complimentary Overseas Travel Insurance, you can pay so you are covered for the full length of the trip.

You can do this with Cover-More from the Bankwest website or by calling 1300 468 340. A premium applies and you will be issued with a Certificate of Insurance.

The maximum journey duration (inclusive of the complimentary duration) cannot exceed:

3 consecutive months with a Bankwest Gold or Platinum Mastercard
12 consecutive months with a Bankwest World Mastercard

Other changes (from 9 December 2019)
There are some other important changes coming to the claim limits for baggage and personal goods items, and cancellation costs. Also, some activities will no longer be excluded.

Where to get the full details
For full details of the changes, FAQs, and a copy of the new Credit Card Insurance Product Disclosure Statement and Information Booklet, see our website bankwest.com.au/creditcardinsurance.

If you have any questions, please get in touch.

Message us in the Bankwest App

Call us on 13 17 19

Thanks,

Bankwest Products Team

bankwest.com.au

2 Likes

@clubman @phb thanks for your help. We’ll take a look at what needs to be updated for this card.

4 Likes

An absolute shocker regarding Amex travel insurance.

2 Likes

Very unfortunate circumstances…and why it is very important to understand the terms and conditions associated with 'complementary ’ cover offered through credit cards.

2 Likes

To me the problem seems to be that the
McGinty rolled onto a ‘new’ credit card.

Maybe they didn’t register with the travel insurance after the change?

With mine there’s still basic cover even if not registered with them.

3 Likes

It is common that card-linked travel insurance is predicated on the card similarly to a membership benefit in that once the card (membership) terminates so do the benefits.

From my Westpac card policy, bold added …
*The complimentary insurance benefits are only available to cardholders of the following eligible Westpac credit card accounts … "eligible credit card” means one of the following current
and valid credit cards issued by Westpac for an eligible credit card account … *

When I had to have a card reissued from fraudulent activity the paid per requirements, trip yet to be taken insurance followed the card number. That is the same account and product just a different card number.

Changing products when a card expires can be, as Amex claimed, equivalent to a cancellation (or expiration) of the old card, hence a termination of its benefits. The insurance is a perk of the card rather than a conventional policy, and therein lies a difference.

Westpac withdrew their ‘companion Amex’ a few years ago while I had many $1,000s of booked and yet to be taken (after the withdrawal date) international travel; Westpac confirmed in writing they would honour the related travel insurance.

The referenced article is not clear on the timing. It reads that in the case cited the old card may have expired prior to travel and hence was not a ‘current and valid’ card, hence falling into a technicality;

He called American Express and said a staff member helped him find a new card with lower fees to roll onto.

If the new card was the Amex low rate card, it did not include travel insurance.

“Even if I had cancelled the card, I’d paid for the holiday on the card, which I expected they would honour even without the card, because I thought it was a contract,” Mr McGinty said.

Never assume (expect) is the lesson learnt.

3 Likes

I would have expected that the insurance would have been tied to the purchase transaction for the trip, regardless of whether the customer changed or cancelled the card afterwards.

If that was not the case, perhaps they did not require payment for the charges for the trip either?

Just another manisfestation of what came out of the Banking RC.

2 Likes

I did see a while back a particular card company that also had T&Cs indicating that the card slso had to be used on the travel as well (to pay for items purchased when travelling) to validate the insurance.

What possibly should also have happened in this case is the customer should have advised when investigating alternative credit card products that they planned to use the complementary travel insurance with the old card for future travel. Then credit card call centre employee may then have had the chance to factor this into the products recommended to this particular customer. Unfortunately a call centre employee can’t second guess everything a customer may or may not be doing.

3 Likes

The charges for the trip would be due as purchased services.

Standard advice when changing products is to cancel the old account to avoid ongoing or trailing fees that might have applied to it. That could be what happened.

2 Likes

I have just taken up an offer from a cc company for travel insurance as a freebie if I put flights worth over $1000 on their card. Now having a hell of a time getting info about the policy and/or how to make a claim if I need to. Anyone else finding travel insurance very expensive, tricky and difficult?

1 Like

Welcome @Ferntree
Now no company is going to make an offer of something to you without making the terms and conditions very clear. They are not going to hide them away on purpose.
Just follow the asterisks.

If not the asterisks some issuers have a PDS titled with something more or less obvious. The Westpac PDS for that is called Consumer Credit Card Comp Insurance for example and there are 4 PDS related to the card. It is quite explicit what it does and does not cover.

Some issuers link the PDS to their related card page, some start at the bottom of their home pages, and some are more or less obvious. If you don’t find it we might be able to assist if you provide the issuer and card branding.

1 Like