Best SIM only plan provider

Aldi has advertised their value pack will be on sale for $89 from 25 Nov (recharges remain $99) for unlimited talk and text and 15GB of data over 12 months.

5 Likes

February says youā€™re being monthist :slight_smile:

1 Like

Woolworths Mobile has introduced long term prepaid options with expiry periods of 180 or 365 days but with data gifting. The prices are:

180 days - 12Gb data and cost is $60
365 days - 100Gb data and cost is $150
365 days - 150Gb data and cost is $200

The above lines do not include any specials which are applied, but each option includes 10% off once a Woolworths grocery per month, usually starting 45 days after signing up. Interestingly I signed up for the 365 day prepaid plan in early December and received 10% off a grocery bill last week so perhaps the marketing department was being generous. NB: I am not a Woolies employee but a vigilant consumer.

2 Likes

Currently on sale $10 off each planā€¦ $50 / $140 / $190 expires today, 29/12!

However Iā€™ll stay with Aldi since I use less than 1GB per annum, and the unused data rolls over, and rolls over, and ā€¦ Grocery discounts are an interesting twist though for future consideration.

1 Like

One usage for prepaid plans that have a 365 day expiry is I have a separate SIM for security reasons.

Those internet service that require mobile authentication I use a dedicated separate SIM that only contains a minimum dollar value. That avoids any ID theft or spam.

4 Likes

Interestingly the usual 45 day wait to receive a 10% discount on Woolies groceries was limited to less than 14 days upon signing up for the 365 day plan. That worked out well for Chistmas grocery shopping and my wife (also on Woolies mobile) also received a 10% discount on her shopping!

Certainly ALDI Mobile

The Grocery discount is only part of why I stay with Woolies. The woolies rep on Whirlpool.net.au is just lovely. If you have an issue he will follow up for you and help out where he can. Also, the Woolies app is the best of the lot. Woolies may not be cheapest, but there are a lot of reasons to stick with it, IMO.

1 Like

I get offered a 10% discount off a shop every month simply by scanning my Woollies Rewards card.

Our mobiles are with Boost Mobile.

Yep, thats the other way to get the discount. I donā€™t shop in person at Woolies, its too far away, so I only get my discount on online shopping. and it does require your rewards card number, so is effectively the same thing. You canā€™t get the 10% off without Rewards.

2 Likes

Iā€™m seriously thinking of opting out of Optus. I canā€™t get a running summary of the usage I make so as not to go over my limit for the month. Itā€™s a delay of at least 48 hours. Optus told me nothing could be done about it. It says it records it every 4 hours but it doesnā€™t. Does anyone know which company actually does that?

1 Like

Hi @Pamelita23

Is this in regards to your phone data or your fixed internet? That may help us answer your question better.

Kind regards

1 Like

Sorry Iā€™m a bit if a dinosaur. Data.

1 Like

For the phone and streaming.

1 Like

Hi @Pamelita23,

I merged your question into this existing topic that should give you an idea of options. While few companies update stats in real time, there are plans such as the Aldi ValuePack ($99 pa) when offered, that if you can buy one it offers unlimited calls and texts and 15GB of data for the year with opportunities to top up data if necessary. There are other long term ā€˜bulkā€™ deals from Woolies, Boost, and others worth looking at.

If streaming includes NBN service,

I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Many thanks. Iā€™ll investigate those.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know of any that show immediate usage, but that doesnā€™t mean there arenā€™t any.

You may also want to check that your phone isnā€™t letting Apps send data home all the time. Googleā€™s Auto Backup being one of the many Apps that ā€œphone homeā€ a bit.

For Android see the following link for hints https://support.google.com/fi/answer/9458407?hl=en

On an iPhone it will be found in settings > Mobile

Turn off any that are ā€œallowed to use mobile dataā€ option on ones you donā€™t want using data.

Or you can turn off Mobile data until you want to use it and turn it off again when finished.

Set data syncing times for Emails, Calendar etc to every few hours instead of what is generally minutes or set them to sync only when the phone is connected to Wifi.

Another article that may also help:

1 Like

Itā€™s a nice opinion piece, just published.

If youā€™re only after a SIM and service, then intriguingly, ALDI has a more reliable network than Telstra, by an 86:80 vote. And better coverage than Telstra too, by 85:83.

But your ALDI-supplied SIM will of course be running on the Telstra network.

Well, itā€™s a nicely presented opinion piece, anyway.

1 Like

ALDI mobile, and all the other Telstra network resellers excepting Boost Mobile only use the Telstra Wholesale Network, a large subset of the entire Telstra network. That could account for the difference in expectations and opinion.

Since even Telstra has black spots and poorer coverage in the regions than in the metro areas it is reasonable the ā€˜6 pointā€™ difference is skewed by the difference in customer base - ie those with Telstra have higher expectations and some may be in the regions where no service is very good, and some places where there is no Telstra Wholesale service at all and the full network is patchy.

3 Likes

Boost app shows near real time remaining data. You need close the app & restart it to see the updated value. I just tried it - did a quick speed test - less than 30sec later updated data. The usage history page has not been updated though, so you need look in the right place.

Prepaid systems have to run real time so the data is there somewhere. You may find using the SMS request or a dial code digs out near real time data.
eg Optus: Text the word ā€˜balā€™ to 9999 . Telstraā€™s dial code is #100#, then select balance. This also works with Boost.

I realise itā€™s a higher upfront spend, however long expiry plans are nearly always better value. You need understand you usage requirements. Iā€™m a fan of the long expiry plans from Aldi, Coles, & Woolworths.

5 Likes