Best e-readers

The “easiest” to search will be txt, pdf or doc type file formats. Txt files have very little formatting and pictures do not appear in them but even single letters or numbers can easily be searched for. PDF has the ability to be searched and can contain pictures/photos and tends to be a smaller file size than doc types.

Most e-readers handle txt and pdf well, but not doc files.

1 Like

I believe it is possible to convert at least some formats to others so that may be a way of getting what you want.

1 Like

How would that happen if you are not logged on to Amazon or even have an Amazon account?

The description of Kindles in E-reader review as having Bluetooth and Text to Speech is misleading. As pointed out in the Amazon Audible and Kindle E-Readers post, Amazon Australia does not support listening to Audible books on Kindles. As Kindles do not natively (without conversion) support other file types, this hardware support provides no function in Australia. At the very least Bluetooth support should be removed from Good Points, and really the lack of audiobook support in Australia should be listed in Bad Points for all Kindles.
Although I would not personally use an E-Reader for audiobooks, my wife wants to, so I bought her a Kobo Libra 2 instead.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community knobblysnail. Thanks for highlighting this issue with Kindles in Australia. We will be changing the Tool Tip in the review to note that the Bluetooth and TtS functionality is of limited value here.

3 Likes

Hi Scott,
I may have been a wee bit unfair here as Kindles in Australia probably do support VoiceView TtS for which they would use Bluetooth audio, but TtS is a poor substitute for a talented voice actor - particularly for novels - and I feel an Australian review should highlight the limited functionality of Kindles in Australia.
I may be a bit harsh because I have been caught out before by unsuspectingly subscribing to Amazon services not realising they are not supported in Australia.

4 Likes

Isn’t the difference whether you pay extra for narration not the type of reader?

Unfortunately not. The Australian Amazon Kindle ad specifically says:

We want you to know
This device does not support the playback of Audible audiobooks.

This limitation does not apply to Kindles in the US.
Current Kobos can play audiobooks in Australia

2 Likes

Is that the same as narration? Many Amazon Kindle ebook have narration available if you pay extra, this is not the same as text-to-speech. It would be odd that they supplied such an option that can only be used on third party hardware.

1 Like

Do not get a Kindle if you want your e reader to read books from Public library easily . I asked my local library if books could be borrowed electronically and read on a kindle The reply was Unfortunately, there is no Kindle eBook lending platforms available to Australian public libraries. The Kindle is a proprietary product sold by Amazon. It uses its own software (not epub) & Amazon is keen for Australian Kindle users to purchase their books through the Amazon store.
To give Amazon feedback about their Australian Kindle policy, feel free to contact Amazon directly or feedback via Amazon Australia’s Facebook page.
Mosts Kobo eReaders are compatible with our eBook platforms and most mobile devices."

3 Likes

My library uses Libby and Overdrive.
It seems to be the standard reader for many online library functions. Free to install.
Runs on Android, Windows, and Apple.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community @VickiC,

I merged your comments into this older topic about ereaders, that includes a few issues with Kindles.

Thanks for your warning about it re library ebooks.

3 Likes

Thanks Phil

1 Like

I have to ask why one would want to by a dedicated e-reader. A tablet can load whatever reader software you want and you can do a lot more with it. The prices of tablets and readers overlap depending on model and features.

I know a lady that could not figure out how to use a tablet, but has a number of single purpose products since as she says, ‘they just work when I turn one one’. Other aspects may be the lack of desire to manage operating system things. It is about complexity, and if one does not agree with that, it may be perceived complexity.

1 Like

I have had a Kobo Glo for about ten years. I purchased it because it is extremely easy to download library loans, has incredible battery life, emits little bad sleep blue light, most importantly is very light and easy to hold in one arthritic hand and indeed to read in sunlight. I have an iPad that I use for much including news sites and Choice, but reading books etc I do on my Kobo. Another advantage is the light does not disturb partner at night. I would buy another Kobo.

3 Likes

Its good that you are getting value from your reader. A tablet will do all that you describe and more including the flexibility to use whatever format books you like.

A counterpoint that probably will not impress but it appears there are still a few benefits to readers.

https://thewiredshopper.com/kindle-vs-kobo-brands/

3 Likes

I concede the point about battery life but that is important only if you are going to be away from your charger; there are not that many people who live like that today.

My days of hiking or camping for days away from a power source are done. For those who do your tablet could run a GPS mapping system. Last year I did a house-boating trip on the Myall Lakes and the system was very useful when all you can see is water and low shorelines of trees.

On the point of readability I would very much like to see some hard evidence of the effectiveness of readers compared to tablets for lengthy reading. Any takers?

The difference in weight and more compact form factor of e-readers might also increase their appeal. Especially if one has a smart phone that can serve all other needs. There may also be a significant saving in cost taking that approach.