"Who Gives a Crap" 100% Recycled Toilet Paper

I have read Choice’s review of Toilet Papers (Last updated:25 January 2022) and was surprised to discover the low score for “Who Gives a Crap 100% Bamboo Toilet Paper 3 ply”, and an even lower disintegration score!
( I have been using this Company’s product for a couple of years. I switched from the 100% Recycled to the Bamboo product as it seems stronger.) Since the bamboo paper scores so poorly on disintegration I have switched back to the non-bamboo product, the 100% recycled.

Could Choice please review “Who Gives a Crap” 100% Recycled Toilet Paper, especially the disintegration speed? This is important as blocked sewerage is no fun at all, and expensive to fix.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Which toilet paper should you buy?

Please note that this thread is just requesting a review for “Who Gives a Crap” 100% Recycled Toilet Paper.

Discussions about which toilet paper to buy should take place at Which toilet paper should you buy?

3 Likes

I liked the idea of Who Gives A Crap, but found that delivery to my area put the price way above buying from the local supermarket. It’s for city people only, apparently.

2 Likes

Maggie1, the convenience and charity profit factor far outweigh the quality. And I am now concerned about its “disintegration” score. But it would have been fair not to overcharge you on shipping.

1 Like

All water is recycled, it has been for about three and a half billion years and will be for another couple of billion.

You do every day.

3 Likes

It’s made in China, surly that says enough. We make our own fully flushable toilet paper in Australia. Why support the Chinese war effort?

2 Likes

That is correct and 'Who Gives a Crap" tries to justify why they source from China here:

In relation to ‘supporting the Chinese War effort’. There are many privately owned and state (government) owned enterprises in China. ‘Who Gives a Crap’ does not provide information on who produces their toilet paper or its ownership. Therefore linking the purchasing of ‘Who Gives a Crap’ toilet paper to a government owned/state enterprise can’t be substantiated at this point in time.

5 Likes

Given the huge scope and volume of the trade relationship between China and Oz a boycott of one product is pointless. Our government is trying to patch up our relationship and to increase and stabilise trade which looks like a better way to avoid conflict to me.

3 Likes

WGAC seem to be better at marketing than they are at providing quality products.

Perhaps people should buy better quality products elsewhere and donating the money saved to a suitable charity.

1 Like

Interesting to read the comments of @DannyBa and @phb above. Thank you @phb for posting the link to WGAC’s justification for making the TP in China. I hadn’t read it before , and I found the argument most persuasive. From disinterest and inflexibility from local manufacturers to lack of recycled source paper, no wonder WGAC chose a Chinese company to work with - they provided fully recycled paper and agreed to work according to ethical business and worker standards. Local might not be always better, it seems, And I learned something about relative carbon foot prints too. I thoroughly recommend reading the entire page " Made in China FAQ-Talking Crap". I’m now thinking of writing to WGAC and ask if they can, or are planning to, improve the quality of the 100% recycled paper. (flakiness i.e.)

4 Likes

You do have a point @Glenn61 Buying better quality products can be done, but it’s possible they won’t be made from recycled paper. The WGAC Marketing does seem to be high level. The trouble is there are so many choices of TP to buy, and managing all the variables could be a full time job. What would be nice is the convenience of large boxes of TP that are ethical , high quality and cost effective. The TP made in Heaven.

2 Likes

It was in context only intended to ask if it was possible to compare the total environmental cost (carbon miles plus at source) of the imported product to local production.

Australia produces wood pulp from plantation timber, and also China including bamboo forestry. In both nations land has been cleared to provide the plantation footprint required. Timber is a finite resource. Neither bamboo or other forestry products are infinite in supply, and the land used for their production limited. China’s bamboo forests (total of natural and plantation) are also shrinking in area.

WGAC can claim it does less environmental damage than other producers. The total cost is a question we can all ask. In the interim Australian consumers are in a better position to influence local manufacture and change government policy. Once supply is outsourced to another country visibility and accountability are more difficult to assure.

Is the only genuinely sustainable solution eliminating the need for Toilet Paper?

Note that approximately 50% of world paper production is consumed meeting packaging demands. The 10% used to produce personal tissue products may be a lesser concern for many, irrespective of supplier.

1 Like

Likely not a need?

They have long moved onto the Toto washlet and bidets. Fresh sea sponges optional. :wink:

4 Likes

I notice 2 days ago that ALDI is now selling WGAC toilet paper. We will stick with Quilton Gold.

1 Like

ICare produce a 100% recycled paper here in Australia. It seems the the WGAC line appears a little wobbly on claims of the ability to recycle paper products into TP here in Australia, is it more they wanted to produce a cheaper product for purely profit reasons? I don’t know the why, I do know it has been, can be and is done here.

https://icarepaper.com.au/

4 Likes

And there should be sufficient supply of raw ingredients in Australia. With significant reductions in newsprint being used in Australia and worldwide, the recycled component of previously manufactured newsprint will be looking for a new home. Some will be diverted into card/cardboard manufacture, but in the future with paper products no longer being able to be exported for recycling, looking at local solutions should be a priority.

Many of their statements see to try and justify their business decisions for manufacturing in China, rather than why they aren’t actively exploring or developing home made products.

3 Likes

In the alt universe/heaven where they still used TP…

2 Likes

Good to know @grahroll . I may just cancel my WGAC subscription and try Quilton Gold. Can you get in boxes of 24 anywhere?

2 Likes

A 20 pack is available from Coles

The biggest quantity in a pack of the Gold available from Woolworths is a 12 pack

So Coles at the moment are the cheapest way to buy in the larger packs.

5 Likes