Which toilet paper *should* you buy?

Lovely toilet paper reviews, but my guess is that the focus is on product quality (fair enough). How well do those products compare ethically? Which toilet paper should we buy?

I’m willing to sacrifice some cheek-feel or wipe performance to minimise the impact on the environment or to support an NFP or B corp.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Would you post your proposed rating score and testing methodology for that evaluation please?

2 Likes

Choice has recently updated its reviews of toilet paoer and their website covers some of the eco claims made by the manufacturers.

It might be a good place to start…

5 Likes

We’ve updated our toilet paper review and provide some advice on the best toilet paper and some to avoid.

5 Likes

The full review is also a very useful guide.

We used to purchase Sorbent brand then switched to Woolies before deciding to go all Australian. The Shop Ethical score in the reviews is a great new feature. It’s evident that supporting more ethical Australian suppliers does not need to compromise on performance/quality.

1 Like

Icare recycle paper is very good quality as has been tested by you guys i recommend for sure they claim it is recycled paper which is excellent. It is better than normal paper i find.

3 Likes

Funny how double length is now about the same amount as a regular roll was, 20 odd years ago. I’ve been contemplating trying “who gives a crap”, but based on the test scores, maybe not.

2 Likes

We use it to both for ourselves and in our business. It is a great recycled product and far better than many other toilet paper based on virgin/forest wood paper.The only downside is availability were we are is patchy.

2 Likes

Yhe local iga sell it other than that i would have not known about it.

2 Likes

Is TP a truely sustainable solution?
Do we need to look beyond current hygiene practices for better environmental outcomes?

One source suggests Australia recycles 87% of it’s paper and cardboard. Of the balance, some as is self evident for toilet paper, tissues and other personal products are one way.

Choosing product made from recycled waste is a good choice. Regardless the recycled product requires at the start of that chain an original source of pulped fibre and ongoing supply of waste to meet demand. Are the other uses of recycled paper products a better solution for the environment than for TP? Is there sufficient supply of suitable waste paper products to meet 100% of current demand for TP?

Note that all paper products consume energy from planting through to processing, additional for collection and reprocessing of recycled. There is a carbon footprint print at each stage or step. There is also a carbon footprint in the waste treatment and byproducts. Consider also the chemicals involved at every step from herbicides used in plantation management through to paper/cardboard treatment.

If it appears to be asking the question, is the best toilet paper to buy, no toilet paper, it is. We still buy and use TP. Is a Toto a cost saving and a more sustainable alternative?

Why ask?
We live next door to a managed state forestry plantation. The hot gossip is that the plantations cannot keep up supply of mature trees to meet current demand. Which may explain the pressures elsewhere to continue and possibly expand logging of native forest areas. A choice between saving Koalas or securing toilet paper and economic supply of timber building materials.

2 Likes

These days I use a wet face washer for no 1s.

I will never buy Kleenex again ots the, worst for quality horrible quality and i noticed aldi is, shrinking its 8 pack rolls down to 6 pwck with slightly larger size sheets. Why would they reduce 2 rolls when previously was 8 amd, also 5.sheets less per roll than previously. I didn’t know previously what older price was. Unsure if retailers change sizes or contents still unbelievable just a, warning to people if shopping look out for shrinking sizes

1 Like

I have read Choice’s review of Toilet Papers (Last updated:25 January 2022) and was surprised to discover the low score for “Who Gives a Crap 100% Bamboo Toilet Paper 3 ply”, and an even lower disintegration score!
( I have been using this Company’s product for a couple of years. I switched from the 100% Recycled to the Bamboo product as it seems stronger.) Since the bamboo paper scores so poorly on disintegration I have switched back to the non-bamboo product, the 100% recycled. Could Choice please review this product ,especially the disintegration speed? This is important as blocked sewerage is no fun at all, and expensive to fix.

I have moved your post to the existing topic which covers toilet paper evaluations.

Perhaps @RebeccaCiaramidaro could respond to your question and explain how the scores were arrived at.

2 Likes

In relation to the disintegration times, this thread provides some information about how it is tested:

Choice has been rightly critical in the past in relation to disintegration times of products claiming to be flushable, and as you rightly point out, poor disintegration can lead to sewer blockages and increased system maintenance costs.

5 Likes

Do you think the rating could be wrong and needs correcting, if not why repeat the test?

1 Like

Thank you for your comment @meltam . I was initially only interested in having that particular product tested: Who Gives ACrap :The 100% Recycled 3ply, as it hadn’t been tested yet. Only the 100%Bamboo version has. Now I have extended my read to how disintegration time is tested using the thread on that topic. Interesting!

4 Likes

@syncretic -that’s a possibility too. But I would still like to see the non- bamboo product from that company tested. It seems to “flake” in use, so I am predicting it may have a higher disintegration score than the bamboo product.

1 Like

@phb , thank you -I have started reading the suggested thread. Very interesting.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification.

I have re-opened your original post, made a slight edit to make your intent clearer, and highlit that it is there only as a ‘request for test’, and discussions should take place in the Which toilet paper should you buy? thread.

5 Likes