Which eco-friendly household products actually work?

Eco-friendly cleaning doesn’t have to mean a compromise. We show you which cleaning products work, and which ones to avoid.

What environmentally friendly cleaning products work for you?

6 Likes

For me - I only use KOH… despite the negative reviews from CHOICE - it works brilliantly for me (and has done for several years). Highly eco credentialled, and I don’t need to buy a selection of different products for kitchen, oven, bathroom etc.

2 Likes

We’re super happy with Bosisto’s products, particularly their anti-fungal solution for treating mould around the house and on clothing / footwear which contains clove oil and tea-tree oil.

Even better, they’re Australian-owned (something I wish Choice included in their product research) and it leaves the house smelling wonderful!

3 Likes

Have you tried just using the microfibre cloth and plain water?

Not on grease/oil etc - I spray the KOH on, and it dissolves/lifts it off the surface as I watch: water certainly doesn’t do that… On (long) neglected areas, I wipe the worst off with paper towels, then a light respray with KOH & a microfibre cloth - job done!

2 Likes

I’ve been using Simply Clean products. body wash, hand wash, dishwashing powder and happy with them.

Choice does give them a negative review. NO complaints at home, Drains no longer clog and have to be cleared.

Using Who gives a crap toilet paper. No complaints either.

1 Like

Most of the time, a microfibre cloth and water works perfectly. When it’s not enough, I use some bicarb or white vinegar (or occasionally both) and the job’s done.

I agree, the microfibre cloths clean exceptionally well. It is just a matter of having different ones for different areas of the house and cleaning them in hot water and detergent. A spell in the sun is good for disinfecting them too. I use E-Cloths which last forever.

2 Likes

I too love the bostito products. The cleaning sprays and floor cleaner in particular

Koh for me too. It cleaned the glass doors of my ovens with far less effort than any other cleaner I have tried. Bench tops, mirrors, floors, all fine. It has no scent to trigger my husband’s asthma and can be used anywhere in the house.

1 Like

KOH - FYI. I have never understood the poor reviews from CHOICE for this product: I have been using it for cleaning for years, and remain impressed! Here is validation…

(apologies for the multiple photos: tried to shrink it to one image - too hard to read!)

unnamed

2 Likes

As noted there are a number of previous discussions across the community on the products with the KOH branding.

Canstar’s award based on product satisfaction/popularity noted.
It may be worth reviewing,

Like many other branded cleaning products delivered as a liquid the consumer is paying for packaging/container, a small amount of a chemical, and mostly water. Marketing and promotion costs may also be significant.

I do wonder if there is true value in commercially produced home cleaning products when it’s possible to replace many with simple home products for a fraction of the cost.

Home cleaning using products based on eucalyptus oil, sodium hydroxide, white vinegar, solid soaps (sodium hydroxide), liquid soaps (potassium hydroxide) etc all do different jobs.

2 Likes

Choice bases its reviews on its own testing regime and measure its performance. This performance is than compared to similar products widely available. In relation to KOH, Choice impressions are here:

The ‘award’ from Canstar isn’t based on test results, but on the impression received through online consumer reviews of the product (the award is for ‘Most Satisfied Customers’). Whether the online reviews are a true reflection of product performance it often questionable (sometimes they are, sometimes they aren’t).

Many products also have loyal followings but may not necessarily be the best product. It reminds me a wine test done a few years ago where testers were told that wines were expensive, but included a significant number of cheaper end of the market wines. The results of the test was there wasn’t much difference between expensive or the cheaper wines. The tasting was biased by expectation that cost equates to quality or performance. This is also often why customer type review systems may not truly show the performance of products, especially when the product is a more costly one.

3 Likes

Not in the least ‘cultish’ but do use Koh and find it very effective, especially on old glass doors in ovens and on floor and wall tiles) It is easy to use, as Koh provides user-friendly cloths, mops, + spray bottle.
I also use (and have for years) carb soda+ white vinegar to avoid most commercial cleaning products with various harmful ingredients especially for those with allergies.