What's your seclusion sustenance strategy?

With at least another 4 weeks of isolation on the cards there is a strong chance the family favourites just won’t cut the mustard staying forward.

How are you planning on adding the spice of variety to your next 100 meals?

• Moonlight Caterer - plan ahead, bulk buy, batch cook, plan again
  • Instructions Please - box fresh, delivered, recipes included, job done
  • Take-away the Hassle - I work in my kitchen now anyway
  • Stuck on Staples - Cereal / Sandwich / Two Minute Noodles not necessarily in that order

0 voters

5 Likes

We’re not exactly secluded…
But yeah. We’re supporting local business by buying lots of takeaways.
(Its not coz we are lazy i promise lol)

7 Likes

Moonlight Caterer is only vaguely close, but my main strategy is not listed as an option. Lots of home grown veg and trout :wink:
Bulk buying isn’t allowed for many products, so that isn’t really an option! Fortunately we generally keep reasonable reserves on hand to minimise trips into town, so we aren’t really running short on anything. The past month, and probably the next one too, wont be all that different to the usual as far as meals go.

5 Likes

The thing we will be relying on is some of our exotic (non-traditional) dishes we cook regularly. We think these are almost restaurant quality and bring back memories of past travels.

6 Likes

Plenty of stuff in out local supermarkets - I just plan the visits to minimise contacts, but lots of cooking is easy. I know thats not the same for everyone …

I’m sure that isn’t as good as it sounds … grrrr :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

6 Likes

None of the above? I don’t have storage to buy anything in bulk so I buy as needed and cook my own, with occasional home delivered takeaway.

4 Likes

Garden Guru should have been an option in hindsight but we don’t have as much to say about it here at Choice other than perhaps some reviews on tools to help your flourishing enterprise; garden tools. Any winter trout and veg recipes you can share with us @gordon ?

4 Likes

Fair enough @SueW. I bounce between Staples and Catering. Kids would survive on magi noodles if it was left to them to meal plan. Lentils are my thing. A good place to start imho. Not ideal for enclosed spaces admittedly but low GI and a good feed to storage ratio. I appreciate a mixed approach is the way to go but everyone has an MO when inspiration starts to wane. Shall I put you down as Take Away :thinking:

3 Likes

That’s got me thinking @phb. If only I could recreate the sausage roll I had at Lakes Entrance. I am by no means an aficionado but it is fair to say I have snaffled more than I have dodged in the SR arena and that one haunts my every waking moment to this day. That and some of the hawker stand food in Singapore obviously :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

That’s been my way so far.
Don’t like takeaways; no room to grow my own food in a flat; will not have 2 minute noodles: easy to make my own soups from scratch; might have an extra packet in the pantry of sugar, tea and coffee, and rice and flour, just in case.
So I’m not sure which sector to choose in the poll :thinking:

5 Likes

If you want a fantastic store bought roll, try Balfours Pork & Fennel rolls. The nicest commercil rolls I have ever eaten.

https://074.drakes.com.au/lines/balfours-premium-pork-fennel-rolls-2-pack-360g

I bought a pack from our local Supa IGA on special for $4.50 a week ago and I will grab some more next time they are on special.

1 Like

Hi @Gaby - Another way of putting it would be; when the chips are down do I a) cook out my feelings, b) look for inspiration, c) let some one else take care of it or d) keep things simple and make do.

3 Likes

Nothing has changed at our place.

We are still cooking and eating exactly the same meals we always do.

Plenty of marked down premium meat in the freezer and staples in the pantry.

Today I am cooking Cheese Sables for the first time since 2018.

2 Likes

Thank you @jmccay for the creative way of rephrasing the questions, but my problem is finding a good fit :smile:
Maybe if there was an ‘Other’ option I could say that the only difference is that, at the moment, I shop less frequently.

3 Likes

Now you are just teasing me @Fred123 . That’s further from my grasp than Lakes Entrance!

2 Likes

We’d suggest the same. Buy a little more to last longer. It has not worked out that well as we did not rush out when the rush to buy up was on. We had no need. Subsequently there were a few more trips or multiple shops visited to get essentials.

Nearly two weeks since Woolies, but still the once a week trip to the locals (bakery, butcher, F&V)

5 Likes

Sorry for the confusion. I merely posted the Drakes link to show what the product looks like as Balfours don’t show any images on their website.

Woollies don’t sell Balfours and Coles only sell selected products here excluding the rolls.

Our local Supa IGA do sell them but IGA do not list products on their website, only in their weekly catalogues.

1 Like

Me too, but since I have to go to the locals, I reckon I may as well do the main shopping at the same time. I’ve just emptied my Woolies cart, because I’m going to have to do a shop before a Woolies order would come. Having trouble adapting to a 2 week shop, especially with limited storage.

@jmccay Dont think you can put me down as takeaway because thats once a fortnight. and my staples do not ever include 2 minute noodles and cereal. Its meat, veg and eggs with occasional fruit. Even bread isnt a staple for me, I keep a loaf in the freezer because I have a sandwich occasionally… a loaf of bread can last up to a month. Or longer.

1 Like

My wife has posted a few of our recipes on her page, and some of them are certainly doable in winter, given the almost year-round supply of many vegetables and fruits: https://www.hethermilane.com/gunagulla.html

2 Likes