What's your seclusion sustenance strategy?

Well, I’m going shopping today at the local Coles, with fingers crossed. I had decided I was being a bit silly, not taking advantage of the Woolies Priority shop… but today, as I was about to hit the checkout, SIX items I had put in my cart (because they were available at the time, 5 minutes before) had to be removed, because they had become N/A between when I put them in and when I went to check out. Thats just crazy. They werent even high demand items (although today they must be). So I have to go to Coles and I have emptied my shopping cart at Woolies once again. I must confess I am finding it very frustrating. Supposed to stay home but can’t. I’ll try the 7am run.

3 Likes

Please explain?

Isn’t 7:00 AM Thursday still only for healthcare and emergency services workers. Perhaps you mean Friday at 7:00 AM.

Perhaps we should scrap Staples & Take Away and add Covert Operative. It is comforting to know I am not the only one doing early raids to secure fresh essentials. It is frustrating but the same time strangely uplifting when you are the early bird that catches the worm / shallots.

In all fairness IGA has been good in my hood for fresh produce, there a lots of empty shelves for toilet paper, rice etc but the good stuff is well supplied. Sticking to weekly/fortnightly deliveries from Coles / Woolies for other essentials - at least you have the convenience of disappointment by email rather than in store.

Hang in there gang. We are on the road back apparently.

1 Like

Surely shallots are not hard to get?

Did you check if they stock the Balfours Pork & Fennel Rolls?

Woolworth online shopping cart notifies you when something is not available. Also when you are putting things in your cart, you cant add something which is N/A. However, if its available when you add to the cart, and sold out by the time you get to checkout… Well… self explanatory I would have thought.

Um. No. Today is Wednesday. At least it is where I live. Either way, the guard wasnt checking ID or anything. Could have been a regular shopping time for all he cared.

I know it is Wednesday but I thought you were going to the 7:00 AM shop tomorrow.

Your post read as though you were shopping in store.

You had my curiosity @gordon now you have my attention. You have an inspiring set up.

Did I tell you I am rather partial to chezzers? I look forward to the end of year non denominational holidays when I can indulge in consuming my favourite fruit by the kilo.

Pistachio and lime for the trout though. I might turn to a cherry flan but mostly fresh, straight up is how I take them.

One more thing. The promo cauliflower looks like a fine specimen. Don’t get me started on the merits of the humble c unit.

1 Like

I was being facetious about the shallots but I have come away empty handed for the simplest of things when I don’t get in early enough.

I checked. No dice on the rolls. Pork & fennel is a classic combo. Sadly, it seems to have gone out of fashion in these parts. I am going to have to moonlight cater to scratch that itch I think.

1 Like

don’t know why you thought that. I did specify “today”.

I dunno, Fred. I would not change the post even if I could. If you read it that way, I’m sorry, but it doesnt read that way to me

Yes, it started at midnight. Sleep-ins excepted.
Watching the sunrise over a fresh cup of tea and hearing all those early morning bird calls.
Certainly sustaining before the 7am shop.

‘Shallots’? Thanks for the reminder @jmccay. We have none left.
It’s an essential ingredient of our favourite style of Okonomiyaki.
Better than a pizza, common core ingredients, flexible fillings, and healthier too.

Sadly a lot of our cherry trees died last year due to 2 years lack of rain, and we only had 4kg of fruit in 2018 for the same reason (normally up to 200kg). However, my wife sourced a few advanced trees which we will plant in winter, but it will be quite a few years before they yield as much as the 25 year old ones we lost, and the total number of trees will be down. I’ll probably preserve a greater proportion of the crop for ourselves and sell less from now on. I’ll still eat heaps when I’m harvesting though :slight_smile:

1 Like

We got a ripper last night - our favourite local asian takeaway, which also happens to be our local corner shop (and just about the most versatile little business in town I think). The family that owns it is Cambodian, but they cook a really diverse range of south east asian food. About $35 for three meals (pat thai for me, special fried rice for the kid, combination omelette for the father), but like all good asian takeaway should - there’s twice as much as we needed for one meal so we’ve got leftovers for dinner tonight!

3 Likes

We also are using local stores to assist their survival and believe we will continue to do so. A few hours each Sunday are spent preparing and cooking meals for the week. It’s actually a pleasant and productive task which can see all join in at various levels.

3 Likes

Here is a recipie you may like to try.

I have not used it as yet but I have been happy with other Delicious recipes.

1 Like

Thanks @Fred123 The recipe had me at pork. I am normally a SR critic rather than a creative but I am going to give it a go. What could go wrong!

1 Like

Welcome @RcW. Cooking is cathartic but for me it mostly solo. The kids just don’t respect my process or the ingredients :unamused:

1 Like

I am still getting over your pain @gordon. That’s a big loss. Good luck for next season.

1 Like

None of your categories. A more integrated approach. Have learned and set up to make sourdough and have healthy organic grains alternative to modern wheat. This is interesting and means a heat pad and temperature controller. Not gluten free though as the process reduces it and phytic acid. Lots of interesting videos, Have storage beans and set up to pressure cook which meant importing a non carcinogenic pressure cooker as all local have non stick linings, Have a new unopened unusable 360$ breville fast slow pro with non stick lining which I have to dispose of. Meat delivery from paddocks monthly and am very relieved to have organic vegetables and milk now set up. The need to stop shop visits has created new ways and things to cook. So making yoghurt and sauerkraut, sprouts if this is prolonged, It’s interesting. Reading food science and traditional ways of managing anti nutrients. Looking at foreign housewife domestic cooking videos. Yearning for a good fish meal and oysters from South Melbourne Markets, My fridge has very small freezer so perhaps get a small haier freezer as reviewed by choice, then can get frozen fish bulk buy. And a couple of packs of Balfour pork and fennel rolls as suggested here,

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Does non-stick products give you cancer?