What's the best tasting instant coffee?

I was on my second last bottle but I grabbed another 3 yesterday on special for only $11 each at Coles.

1 Like

I was about to dive in and suggest instant coffee was not really coffee. I weaned myself off instant long ago. The change came after drinking what I was told in Italy was real coffee.

Fortunately I consulted the font of all good and bad information, the web. Instant and espresso are made from the same beans and have similar health properties.

Aside from personal taste preferences, convenience vs ritual. Something true tea drinkers may also relate to. :wink:

Note:
I will consume freeze dried instant with lots of milk to be polite.

3 Likes

I found the following link both amusing and instructive. Any one agrees with me? :laughing:

5 Likes

Itā€™s easy to open a NescafĆ© jar (I use Moccona now), So I washed empty NescafĆ© jar an now fill and refill, with Moccona for regular users - Easy.

3 Likes

Try my tip above and save the double handling.

Keeping the coffee in the very well sealed Moccona jars and not exposing the coffee to the atmosphere may help to prevent any degradation. At least unless you consume the jar fairly quickly.

1 Like

Only inasmuch as the lady is clearly talking about instant coffees available in the USA. Most are undrinkable, Even those with the same brand names as in Australia are disgusting. Well, they were, in the mid 90s. I havent been back since then.

Thought provoking?
It was a longish read. It seemed very much in favour of ground coffee. For all the effort involved I felt a little cheated.

Instant coffee is produced by more than one method. It deserved more consideration.

Also short on consideration?
The use of roasted beans or ground coffee fresh or packaged has nuances. Including feeding the beans to wild animals to pass. There are also a number of ways to produce coffee from ground product. Espresso machines, drip filtered hot, percolator, cold drip filtered and ā€¦? There is an even greater variety of devices and machines that all have slightly different magic properties.

Itā€™s easy to see why around half of all coffee drinkers go for instant product. Itā€™s so uncomplicated, choice of added flavour unlimited.

While there is no 7-eleven nearby, their push a button machine made product might rate a close second for being the next best instant coffee. But at a premium price.

2 Likes

ā€œInstant coffee is almost always poor quality, while ground coffee can range from poor to excellent.ā€

Tell ā€˜er sheā€™s dreaminā€™. She has obviously not tried Moccona Indulgence.

1 Like

It seems to me that what makes or breaks a good cup of instant coffee is the species of the coffee used, and instant coffee itā€™s almost always from the Robusta variety.
Robusta is favoured because the plant yields double the amount that Arabica does, is more resistant to pests, (probably due to itā€™s very high content of caffeine) which makes it a lot cheaper to use.
The taste of instant coffee made from Robusta is described as:
grainy overtones, earthy, harsh, bitterā€¦ it has none of the sweeter, fruity tones of Arabica.

Moccona is said to be a blend of Arabica and Robusta and that might explain its popularity.

3 Likes

Also reflected in the Choice taste test.

Noticed a new instant coffee with Robert Timms branding. Arabica must matter, at a price?

1 Like

https://www.moccona.com.au/our-story/

2 Likes

My fav instant is Lavazza Prontissimo, the label says 100% Arabica, it costs $10.00 for 95g, but at the moment the big supermarkets advertise it for $6.00.

I have it very occasionally and itā€™s reserved for guests who might find coffee made in my Moka Express to strong for them.

2 Likes

An interesting article regarding research into the health benefits of drinking coffee.

1 Like

Some studies also show that drinking coffee may help reduce the risk of heart failure, but thatā€™s going into a completely different topic :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Didnā€™t help me.

On the matter of the articleā€¦ its written by an American. Their coffee tastes areā€¦ primitive. They donā€™t do fancy machines, Drip filter is favoured, and as I commented earlier, their instant is generally disgusting. I tried many different brands whilst there (it was a 6 month stint) and I do not recall ever seeing a Moccona, though they may have it now. You can only get decent coffee in their coffee shops. My favourite was The Steaming Bean, in Newport RI.

2 Likes

Americans have to do with Douwe Egberts instant, the company that owns Moccona. It does not seem to be identical but very close.

+1 for the vast majority. Starbucks is considered as good as it gets, and is usually as good as it gets, across most of that country.

Some of the independent coffee shops in the US are, as @SueW mentioned, quite excellent, but one has to seek them out more often than not, and they are far and few between save for certain localities.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything special about American coffee preferences. It needs to meet a price point. Perhaps the more bitter flavours offer a contrast/complement the other fare on offer.

Some might say similar about travelling anywhere globally. In Japan itā€™s the powdered matcha green tea often served at no charge on sitting down to a meal. One more accustomed to dark leaf tea or even fresh green leaf tea, might also wonder why itā€™s so commonly consumed? I find it great to clear the palette.

2 Likes

Counterpoint is that as a very broad generalisation, American tastes tend toward the bland, low price, large portion. It is more complex than this, but.

While it is slowly being relegated to history there is still a significant presence of ā€˜bottomless cupsā€™ for coffee, tea, and soft drinks. Using our domestic prices as a guide for coffee to make the point, that would be difficult with $50kg beans and fresh milk at any price most could or would pay; but easier and perhaps possible with the Americans using $4 kg bulk pre-ground beans and milk substitutes.

2 Likes

My understanding is that in the USA coffee is a lighter roast than in Europe and mainly consumed black but sometimes with cream. Oz seems to have copied the darker roast of Europe, including the very dark espresso style, and adopted all the ways to treat milk and cream and various proportions of milk.

1 Like

True

not ā€˜mainlyā€™ā€¦ consumed black or with milk substitute (very rarely cream, although sometimes milk or half and half (or even cream) is also offered). They save calories with substitutes :wink:

2 Likes