What's the best tasting instant coffee?

I found this.

And this.

3 Likes

Hi @mudpuppy

I have moved your post into the topic that deals with the taste testing/review of Instant Coffees. CHOICE have not done an update on the taste test since 2019, perhaps there might be some new varieties that might be worth testing by CHOICE.

Thank you for your post on the issue.

3 Likes

2 years later, but worth a reply. Many of the Canstar awards include points for the consumers perception of the packaging and value proposition (eg price). Hence a pretty ordinary product can win a high score on packaging alone, or if cheap enough packaging and price, or just price as it seems.

A very fine product priced accordingly in a drab wrapping would likely sit lower than expected on their leader board. Canstar? Another reason for Choice objectivity.

2 Likes

Thanks for that - I don’t know why, the review appeared recently, sure it was from a newsletter.

1 Like

Maybe Woolworths results vary from state to state.

2 Likes

Each store can be different. Store managers can take or drop product lines depending on demand/likely success for sales. They place items that sell locally, rather than everything possible including those which sell poorly. Shelf space is at a premium.

It is worth searching the Woolworths website for other nearby stores that might stock it (Click on ‘Check Stock in our Stores)’. Using the in store search function, there are Woolworths around Hobart that stock it.

Alternatively, maybe talk to your local Woollies manager to see if they are willing to do a trial selling of the product.

1 Like

My Woolies manager claims he has essentially stuff all discretion to take or refuse products but he can manage the displays, and product decisions are all centrally made. Maybe different areas are managed differently?

Mine would need to refer the question to his own management for a decision.

1 Like

I expect some things are centralised decisions like specials, displays, promotions or those businesses which potentially have special agreements to stock nationally (Nestlé etc). Our local store dropped Laoganma Crispy Chilli Paste as a product line and when asked we were told that many products, the manager can decide whether to stock or not depending on their demand, or alternatively products sell better.

As Caffee Aurora is stocked in some stores but not others, it will be one of those discretionary products a manager can make a decision on.

Sounds like a case of not wanting to make a decision and passing the buck.

Woolies managers seem to have virtually no input into product selection or markdown discounts.

Our local Woollies used to stock the milk that my wife drinks, Dairy Farmers Lite White Milk, in 1L for $2.30 and 2L for $3.50.

Some months ago, the 2L size disappeared and I asked the store manager who replied that he would email head office, and he later advised me that he could not get it.

All other local Woolies stock both but it seems that Woolies are out to rip off consumers in our area with the much more expensive 1L size.

On another occassion, I asked him regarding the odd prices he was personally marking short dated products down to in the deli area.

He replied that the prices are all done by computer. They have no say in it.

Our local Coles does not stock this milk but our local Supa IGA does. Just one more reason to shop there.

1 Like

Yes, we have been told that pricing is pushed to each individual store from head office (I suspect in readiness for the catalogue specials from Wed-Tues). Store however can do markdowns independently and often one will see ‘manager’ specials’, ‘clearances’ or ‘reduced to sell’. We have been told that these can be done locally.

Our local Woolies does with deli items such as seafood and poultry, and falsely labels them as specials.

I have just found Vittoria, which is quite passable as an instant coffee. See how long it stays on the shelf.
Moccona may be ok but 10 years since I have tried it. My hands are no longer able to cope with the lid - wielding a knife and a silicone grip to open a glass jar is way too much hassle.

1 Like

Woolworths managers can appear be very helpful, one told me they update their online stocks every 2 hours. Ha ha ha. The number of times one store claims a product is in stock but not hide or hair to be found, not even en empty space, is frustrating.

2 Likes

I have been drinking Moccona Indulgence since it first appeared over 20 years ago, and I buy the 200gm bottles when they are on special.

We have a “ring in” stainless steel teaspoon which we have no idea of how we ended up with it but it is my go to coffee teaspoon.

The thin metal, shallow depth and narrow end makes it perfect to prise open the Moccona glass lids effortlessly, and 3 heaped spoonfulls of demerra sugar and 2 heaped spoonfulls of Moccona make my daily coffee perfect.

As I only drink 1 cup of coffee daily, at breakfast, it is back in the cutlery drawer when visitor arrive, and they persist in using the magic teaspoon.

If you can find one similar, you can be drinking Moccona coffee almost effortlessly.

3 Likes

Mmmmmm, wow 3 t sugar - that’s sweet!
Thanks for the pic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One for the coffee,
One for me,
and
One to thank the Cane Farmer.

Our mum likes 3 spoons in her cuppa. Something about being born and bred up north next to the mill. :wink:

3 Likes

Ancient recipe:
3 tsps of sugar in a very small cup.
Add a very strong black coffee.
Don’t stir.
Drink your coffee.
Spoon the sugar out last.
:laughing::laughing:

4 Likes

That recipe reminded me of the standard coffee I encountered in Brazil last century. The cups were maybe 60ml, about half sugar and half very strong coffee. It was a hit like no other.

4 Likes

Similar in Indonesia now - can be sweetened just with sugar, or use condensed milk. As an occasional treat, I love it - but if asked, I opt for just black.

2 Likes

Moccona Medium Roast 5

2 Likes