What items of clothing have become obsolete in our wardrobe?

I had two, light blue and tan, now long gone to vinnies. Then for 32 years I used to regularly wear a white one for the Govt.

3 Likes

Sorry but if not in your wardrobe any more, you cannot qualify to be a fashion dag.
But at least was one of your safari suits with shorts?

2 Likes

The white one had white shorts as an option, with long white socks and white buckskin shoes mandatory.

3 Likes

You’ll be pleased to know seersucker has returned in the form of gingham summer dresses with gathered tiers and puffy sleeves. Delightful indeed!

2 Likes

Apart from @grahroll Stetson
and a few other exceptions, are hats worn any more, especially if we’re thinking of every day city life?
There’s the ubiquitous Baseball hat worn back to front, the various sun hats, and the fascinating Fascinators to be worn at the races, but is anyone wearing a Fedora, Humphrey Bogart style, every day? Are any ladies wearing a hat to church or for City shopping and lunch with the girls?
Are head coverings now just useful items for protection from sun rays (sun hats)
or cold and wind (beanies)
or head injuries (helmets)?
Can the Hat as a fashion accessory be declared Obsolete?

I rarely go anywhere without my Tilley :smiley:
The brim is visible on my avatar photo.

I know many men who regularly wear various classic hats on a daily basis, many younger men and some older but the sum total is definitely a minority.

1 Like

May I be a bit inquisitive and ask you why? Is it for sun shelter or for good looks
or
?
(BTW it looks good on your avatar :smile:)

1 Like

It keeps the sun off, it looks good, it has a warranty second to none, and for those in ‘the know’ they are as identifiable as a designer logo but not needing a logo, so maybe a bit of cult membership included?

I have 3 different models as does the partner with her 3 different ones but who only wears one when out walking.

That is cropped from my ‘Indiana Jones’ looking photo taken in the Trinity College Library Long Room, Dublin. The busts of the laureates and the shelves were awesome as the full backdrop, but I digress.

1 Like

Is it like some models of car where the drivers give each other secret finger signals as they pass?

‘We’ don’t need to knowing all Tilley wearers are people of superior intellect and style. :rofl:

1 Like

I’m regularly spoken to about my choice of a well weathered fur felt Aussie made hat, (not the brand best known) regardless of attire. I eventually succumbed to laser like glaring and responded to the fashion police. I now have an alternate, a well baked Panama to resolve any thoughts I might not have any fashion sense at all!

Otherwise essential apparel for the great Aussie outdoors, and mission critical apparel.

Certainly there are those who believe in the power of the wing nut enhancing and baseball inspired sporting cap. Likely worn as a badge than for fashion’s sake. Or is that what fashion is all about?

1 Like

I can just picture you @mark_m
wearing your linen suit and your Great-Gatsby- era Panama hat.
How debonair!:smile:

1 Like

Lordy save me from these things!

1 Like

I think in the corporate world ties are almost gone, thank goodness. Even CEOs don’t tend to wear them these days unless they’re fronting media conferences.

The only people that stalwartly seem to wear ties are salesmen and politicians. Funny coincidence that :rofl:

2 Likes