What items of clothing have become obsolete in our wardrobe?

https://www.retrowow.co.uk/fashion/army_surplus/army_surplus.php

Sorry, haven’t been able to make link open. It’s an interesting take on army surplus influence on fashion.

1 Like

I am ashamed to admit it. But I cannot bear to throw it out. It is nice to wear around in winter, strictly at home.
The Starsky and Hutch jacket. image

1 Like

An obsolete garment in my closet is the wool fabric winter overcoat.
It’s probably at the back of most wardrobes having been replaced by Parkas and Puffer jackets?
My puffer jacket is much more practical for me.
I can wear a light top under it which is more comfortable when I take the jacket off in the centrally heated places I visit.
And it’s more in keeping with my casual wear like jeans, leggings, boots.

I was still in bobby socks at 12. It was still another year before I filled out enough for pantyhose and a bra.:laughing::laughing:

1 Like

Oh the bra thing, I know! A AA cup was all I could manage for ages while my friends were busting out all over!

1 Like

No-one has mentioned the delightful seersucker fabric, open mesh singlets, bell bottoms, broderie anglaise fabric, nehru jackets, or cossack shirts.

3 Likes

Last time I wore them was Rocky Horror theme night! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

or pirate shirts! High collars, balloon sleeves and ruffles! Oh my.

4 Likes

Everyone has spanx? Never in my wardrobe and I don’t know anyone who has any. I thought they only existed in Hollywood.

If I donated all the clothes I haven’t worn in the last two years, nearly all my ‘formal’ clothes would go. The dam-panic has eliminated all the places I wore those, but they are staying, ready for a new social life.

1 Like

Spanx is made from synthetic materials,
(Nylon, spandex, etc).
No need to travel to Hollywood, it’s available right here :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Is what we consider obsolete due solely to fashion changing, or is it that it no longer suits our body changing? Nothing like spandex to follow the contours. :worried:

And then there are those items of clothing that seem never to go out of fashion. Possibly because they were never in. There are only so many who can wear a kilt, and regardless look just as fashionable today as 50 years ago. Or should I ever admit to having had a kaftan. I’m sure it would look as fetching today as … years ago? :rofl:

3 Likes

There are many reasons that an item of clothing might become obsolete:
the Mink Coat for example: a status symbol turned into ignominy by the animal rights activists.
Fur stores were targeted, windows smashed. Eggs were thrown at patrons wearing a mink coat while attending the La Scala theatre in Milan.

Faux Fur is now ‘in’ but being a synthetic fabric how sustainable is it?

3 Likes
2 Likes

If made from the cellulose fabrics Lyocell aka Tencel, or Modal that use fairly much closed system processing the product may be sustainable. These fabrics can be made to closely resemble fur in sheen and softness.

3 Likes

Any one with a fur felt hat, (Akubra and others) will be familiar with rabbit fur. Also used as an alternative, and supposedly more commonly used than the furs from wild animals. Note that rabbits are commercial produced, just as any other livestock. This may or may not be environmentally sustainable or concerning in other ways. No judgement intended.

2 Likes

My Stetson :grinning:

3 Likes

Temporarily.

1 Like

I may have missed it but has anyone mentioned safari suits?

2 Likes

I think you are the first. And do you possess one or two Safari suits?

1 Like

Most definitely. They are up there with men wearing platform shoes and the most exaggerated of flared pants or bell bottoms. Getting away with it and how exaggerated the fashion reflected on the persona. Abba to Elton John?

The Safari Suit never reached such dizzying acclaim (Al Grassby as himself, John Meillon in character), lending them to a more acceptable understated sense of Aussie style. One in keeping with the traditional too tight short shorts slipping of a bare bum plus moth eaten faded bluey, than the crisp glitter and fanciful embroidery of pop stardom. Two Aussie looks that hopefully are best remembered, best not emulated. Hope that covers it. :joy:

Note:
It’s possible to find several references either by reading through the topic from the first post, or using the search tool and selecting to search ‘this topic’.

2 Likes

The traditional British military uniform for the tropics had come a long way!

1 Like