Upgrading my car looking for forum member's advice

At the moment I’m driving a 2013 Suzuki Alto .Very economical and great for parking in the Melbourne CBD . I also have a Medium Wheel base Nissan Van to do the long trips in .I do a lot of fishing and the Suzuki would not carry the gear I need to take . I’m looking to replace the Suzuki with a similar type of vehicle for city work as I visit the CBD regularly . The Alto was replaced recently by Suzuki with the Celerio . Same motor but bigger body . I know I could read motoring mags or browse carsguide.com etc but their tests usually only consist of a week or so in the car. I’m hoping some of the forum uses have Nissan Micras , Barina Sparks , Suzuki Balenos , they are a new release Suzuki Celerios. and could give me a good honest opinion of how they find these vehicles over a longer time span

1 Like

There are a number of mini-SUVs available now - which might mean you could do away with the van. Product-Review also has vehicle reviews. (Note - most reviews on any product are negative; also; there’s some ‘false positives’ purchased by industry as advertising.
I think with the Alto you’re looking at 4.5L/100km?
I drive a Honda Jazz - 6years old, 80,000km, no problems. The big advantage of the Jazz is the ‘origami seating’ - better than anything else. Runs about 6.2L/100km for the 1.5 motor (real world). Less (better) for the 1.3 motor.
Standard advice: drive everything, including a 100kph zone in your test drive. Some cars just ‘don’t fit’, like shoes.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input . I like the idea of a mini SUV . "Kill two birds with the one stone "

Think about the type of vehicle you are after and why. Then look at makes and models which fit this. Test drive, look at parameters (price, fuel consumption/running costs, accessories standard/optional, warranties etc) which mean most to you then and narrow list based on this,

1 Like

@phb Basically I’m changing the vehicle over for tax reasons . Accountants advice . I would by another Alto but they are no longer available . The replacement from Suzuki is the Celerio . It is on my list but is not such a great drive ( my opinion only). Basically I’m looking for a small runaround to dart into the Melbourne business centre when required and something cheap to run . Thanks for your input phbriggs2000 .Much appreciated

Fiat or Mini. -----------

1 Like

I like your thinking . The Fiat really interests me

Have you considered a VW? They have a few small cars e.g. the Polo.
I found that VW has very advanced and comfortable cars. The boot access is fantastic. Drives very nice and consumption is class leading. Service is on the expensive side.
A number of years ago I switched from Holden Commodore and Mercedes C Class to Volkswagen and I haven’t been disappointed yet.

1 Like

We’ve had a Kia Rio for some 4 years now, and it’s as good today as it was when we drove it out of the shop. The build quality is absolutely superb, and the engineering…well - how confident do you have to be of your engineering to give a 7 year unlimited km warranty?

The Kia was a replacement for a Mercedes A class, and the difference is chalk and cheese. The Germans could learn vast amounts about build quality from the Koreans.

I recommend the Youtube channel by John Cadogan. He’s an engineer and completely independent.

1 Like

@Fred The Rio is certainly a nice car . On the shopping list

1 Like

I used to own a Polo GTI @jorg.koplin Great car . Another one for atest drive and on the shopping list .

Before purchasing any car, take care that you find out just where it has been made so you can have some idea of how safe and road worthy it will be after the first few weeks. The mighty Holden badge is now placed on o/s built cars. My (demo) Captiva blew the engine at 1800kms., as I was pottering along to pick up my dog from the Vet. They asked if I was towing anything at the time so I replied that I was not, apart from the Kenwood truck that I was dragging along behind me as one does on such occasions. No tow bar should have given them a hint.
The car had been made in Asia.
Even the stalwart of Britishness, the Land Rover brand has been purchased by India…perhaps check for snakes in the glove box.

1 Like

What really gets me hot under the collar @marloo2 is that these cars are often built in countries where labour costs are cheaper, much cheaper , than Australia . The Thai built Hondas , Suzukis .The Ford Territory now but I dont see much of a price reduction on the showroom floor . A car that has really taken my eye is the new Suzuki Turbo boost Baleno . Made by Maruti Suzuki of India , as is my present Alto . At $21, 000 it just seems a little over priced to me when the base model is $14,000 .
Recently a friend took me out to his garage to show me his new Toyota Kluger SUV . He was lauding the quality of it’s Japanese build . I lifted the bonnet and pointed a sign out to him near the ADR plate . "Proudly made in the United States of America " There you go ay , Some Honda Accords are sourced from stateside too . Just the way it is I guess . Thanks for the input .

Hi Vax2000. The price is certainly a concern but it is the reliability that is the real problem. I was going from one country town to another to collect my dog after her emergency surgery ( at their other clinic) when the car blew up. It was Saturday and 35C out in the middle of nowhere. Had to wait for the RAA to come and then paid $100 to get the car home and $320 to get the car to the dealer in yet another town on Monday. (The local RAA are a speck useless.).Holden will pay this when I get the accounts to them but now I am concerned about driving out too far even with the replacement engine. Spent my younger days driving all over the place, circumnavigating Aus. in 1974…in a Holden ute carrying a campervan. Never missed a beat! You would appreciate how much two women pack for a six month trip…
When GMH were at their peak, the company had factories all over the world and when any particular factory had finished producing its current model, it would produce parts for other countries’ cars and ship them out. My Father worked there most of his working life. Quality rather than price !

1 Like

@marloo2 Sorry to hear about what happened to your Captiva Marloo . I think they are made in South Korea . There cars usually not bad , although my mechanic would argue with that .I hope all goes well with you and the dealer . If not phone GM direct and keep the pressure on them . I’m in transport and run a couple of vans . One is a Suzuki APV , actually built in Indonesia . The thing has been phenomenal .Just clicked over 155, 000 Kilometres . Only a 1.6 litre motor and 750KG carrying capacity .We do all our country runs in it now . Never had to touch it , except for routine service , the odd Halogen globe , some tyres . The other van does the city runs . A VERY well known brand but has given alot of trouble . I payed $16,999 for the Suzuki in 2013 and $37, 500 for the other one a month later . The Suzi has earned more , cheaper to run and has had , touch wood , no down time on the job .I’m not disagreeing with you but sometimes no matter how much you pay you get a lemon . That’s why I’m taking my time before I put my hard earned down on another vehicle . The forum input has been fantastic .Thank you all .

Hi Vax2000. Agree with you. My .1992 wee Barina went all over the place and apart from the locals having four unsuccessful attempts at repairing the a/c, never missed a beat. Only changed it because I was nearly run down by a local loon. So hard to see a white car on a clear and sunny day when the sun is not in your eyes. Good luck with your purchase. My mechanic agrees with yours!.

I heartily recommend having a look at this bloke’s videos for informed, unbiased information:

1 Like

@Fred Will do . Thanks mate

1 Like

Thanks for the link @Fred . Very informative

1 Like

@Fred Thank you for the link to AutoExpertTV . I got in touch with them . Told them my short list of small cars/hatch backs and am picking up a new Suziki Baleno GLX Turbo Hatch . They said of it " uninspiring to drive but solidly built and no feed back on known issues " Thought they were describing me LoL. Thanks again Fred

1 Like