Underarm deodorant

Because of skin sensitivity, I have been using Innoxa Free and Easy Regular roll-on deodorant for some years. It is dermatologically tested. I’m looking for alternatives. Are there other brands that I could use please?
Thanks
John Blakey

1 Like

Have you tried crystal deodorants? There are a few brands, some that are not scented and some advertised as ‘lightly scented’. They come in solids that last almost forever as well as roll ons that last not nearly as long. Not expensive, either, and available at Colesworth (one sells an unscented brand, the other a lightly scented brand) as well as chemists and many health food shops.

They don’t work for everyone, but maybe worth your while to try one.

1 Like

Thank you for that suggestion. I was unaware of this product and I’ll certainly look into it when the lock down eases.
Cheers
John Blakey
Hillarys WA

1 Like

Is the sensitivity due to fragrance or chemical ingredients (or because of shaving which can make the skin more sensitive than otherwise the case)? There maybe be alternatives based on what the sensitivity is.

1 Like

I’ve had some really great success with a “natural” product based on kaolin clay and bicarb soda
https://www.soaps.net.au/product/deodorant-with-lavender-50g/
(It also comes in a frankincense fragrance)

Its only really good for me in winter, but its worth a try. There are lots of other similar products on the market as well.

1 Like

Thanks Karen. I’ll give it a try.
Best regards
John Blakey
Hillarys WA

Thanks for that. I’ve always had sensitive armpits and have had to be very careful over the years to select deodorants that won’t give me a rash. Shaving (my face) has never been a problem. It’s just the the Innoxa product is not stocked by everyone and I need to look for alternatives in this lock down time with the limited shopping outlets that we have.
Cheers
John B

2 Likes

Is the problem the aluminium salts used in many deodorants or some particular perfume? Some are free (or low) in one, some the other.

Choice has some reviews and discussion of the options.

Thursday Plantation has a tea tree product that has zero aluminium. It smells a lot like tea tree which you may like or not.

2 Likes

Apparently they work by retarding the growth of the bacteria that works on your sweat. It’s the bacteria and their byproducts that cause BO. Best to shower and apply before going to bed. I’ve been using/doing this for decades. Put my partner onto it too. Works really well.

1 Like

Thanks Sandy. ‘Armed’ with all those replies I shall make my armpits my charmpits. (Please don’t moan).
Best regards
John Balkey
Hillarys WA

2 Likes

You can tell if somebody is in white collar or blue collar work by when they bath. White collar in the morning because they want to be fresh for the social interactions in the office during the day, blue collar in the evening because the dirt of the working day needs to come off before their social interactions of the night.

OTOH some people like a little armpitiness in the right circumstance. The smell also plays a role in determining a potential mate.

2 Likes

Hi, my teens and I have sensitive skin so don’t buy big brand deodorants.
I LOVE Lavanila in terms of the scent and performance. My three teens have tried No Pong, (online or local health food store), LaVanila (I usually get online from either Flora and Fauna, Biome or Nourished Life - can’t remember which) or Ethique (online or Priceline). My 16 year old swears by Schmidts from Princeline more than the previous ones listed, but I haven’t used it myself.

Word of warning, a decade ago I used bicarb as a straight substitute for deodorant, but I developed a terrible allergy to it. So be careful if you are not sure what the source of your allergy is.

Hi John,

I suffer from atopic dermatitis and am currently using Ego QV naked Aluminium Free. This seems to cause the least irritation for me. Body Crystal unscented makes me itch. Thursday Plantation Tea Tree is OK, but the natural fragrance is quite strong.

2 Likes

Thanks Caro…

Thanks Scott…

A suggestion. All underarm deodorants apply something unnatural to a sensitive part of the body close to many lymph glands. I have normal to moderately sensitive skin and being involved in an area of health myself, for many years I researched many different types of deodorants and their ingredients. I was not satisfied that any of them were completely harmless.I then looked back to when I first started using deodorants as a teenager and wondered how people coped before deodorants became widely available.
I decided to experiment in not using a deodorant at all. I found after the first four or five days (I believe after the residue of the deodorants I had been using worked their way out of my skin), I still perspired if I exercised or did hard physical work, but there was very little/no odour providing I was particular about washing after such situations and of course bathed regularly, more often in hotter weather.
It is now more than 20 years since I used a deodorant (or anti-perspirant) and my close and extended family members have never detected any odour from my body.
I am sure there are some people who have a health problem and must use deodorant, and others who have an excessive perspiring issue, but if my experience is anything to go by then with a little patience the majority of people could probably do away with deodorants altogether providing they maintain high standards of personal hygiene.
The deodorant manufacturers do not like to hear this but I think the majority of people would be better off financially, and healthier, by not using deodorants at all - they are not natural.

1 Like

Try Dove Clinical 3X in the Clean Comfort version, It has a moisturiser in it’s formulation. I can’t handle most deodorants/antiperspirants due to intense inflammation by them and by aftershaves (my father was the same) but this version is fairly benign on me (not used as an aftershave :slightly_smiling_face:). A further benefit it lasts quite some time without reapplication so it helps avoid overuse.

3 Likes

Thanks for that. I have been experimenting with other recommendations and will certainly give this a go.

2 Likes

Scientists have identified the cause of human body odours.

I have extremely sensitive skin and I’ve recently switched to a deodorant called - wait for it - NOPONG. After all these years of trouble with deodorants, I seem to have found something that (a) is effective and (b) doesn’t irritate my skin. I’ve been using it for quite a few months now with no adverse reactions.

3 Likes