The "Never Never Broadband Network" - NBN complaints

Sadly there are many people who are experiencing this first hand.

I’m still chuckling at their term “Service Class Zero” or SC0 … meaning of course, no service.

The way I read it, if they don’t think they can provide you a working service with little or no effort you get left behind and they will come back ‘later’ when the rest of the country is finished. Maybe. If you are lucky. Tricky installs are more likely to result in a TIO complaint - no install means no TIO complaint.

2 Likes

I can see companies like Ubiquiti selling a lot more wireless kit if NBNCo can’t get their act into gear - a couple of Nanostation M5’s have served me well for the last couple of years to link to my ‘NBN provider’. It’s not inconceivable that communities in areas that are NBN impotent people could get together to implement this kind of thing on a larger scale - its essentially been done before in the ACT and other places - and with the tech available today it’s almost in the realm of ma and pa kettle …

1 Like

I’m chuckling that I first read the headline to mean that NBN had defined areas of their map as limbo balloons. Perhaps not far from the truth.

1 Like

It gets funnier in a funny kind of way. Yesterday I discovered “NBN Ready” means that somewhere in your vicinity they have a node, but that node is not necessarily connected to your house. The letters we got with what appeared to be an installation target window was in reality a target window for their contractors to scope work.

The American Ringling Brothers Circus closed down. It was a pretty good circus. But they could monitor the NBNCo and see what a real circus looks like.

2 Likes

… and more. Who’s running this circus?

2 Likes

OK. It took a while. We live in Warrnambool. 90m from a node. Aussie Broadband was chosen. NBN connected on the date agreed. Then:
Problem 1: Old Foxtel Hub, despite being described as NBN Ready on the NetComm website, proves to have proprietary firmware preventing connection. All that useful technology hidden behind a software gate.
Solution 1: Buy the Aussie Broadband modem/router.
Delay: 3 days.It works. On 50/20, but getting 22/10. Better than before. Can bridge to the Foxtel Hub for better WiFi
Problem 2: Speed good enough for VoIP (previously not). but landline now disconnected.
Solution 2: Send request to mynetfone to port my landline number from Foxtel (aka Telstra).
Problem 3: Old number is inactive on disconnection. Must be reconnected.
Solution 3: Call Telstra. 3 agents sequentially consulted.
Problem 4: Email from Telstra welcoming my "new account."
Solution 4: Call Telstra. 2 agents sequentially consulted (if you don’t count the computer at the beginning. I just press #### and that gets me a real person). Agent cancels new account. Informs me that the old number is still in my name and will now float for three months, so we can port it.
Problem 5: Aussie Broadband modem dies.
Solution 5: Send me a new one. Buy a Nighthawk and keep AB’s as backup.
Delay 5: 3 days. Speed the same. WiFi better still. Great.
Problem 6: Still no ported number. mynetfone contact me and suggest I give Telstra a hurry-up. Yeah, that’ll work.
Solution 6: More than an hour on the phone in three different calls. Finally get the “Lead Agent Number Porting” in Manila. Yes, they can sign me up to a new account. I don’t want a new account. Yes, you can port the number over because it is still in your name for many weeks. In my name, but not mine. Have to set up as a new connection. Then Telstra will charge a disconnection fee of $100 when ported.
Good-bye old landline number.

Fool me for thinking that Telstra might imagine that some people would still want their old number AFTER it was disconnected by the NBN, and might have modified their charges and their systems accordingly.

1 Like

Australia now ranks 50th in the world for internet speed, and budget internet users are expected to be hurt by new NBN pricing.

What a surprise! Not.

2 Likes

The LNP said that their :carousel_horse: FTTN NBN proposal is ‘just as good as Labor’s :horse_racing: FTTP plan’.

What’s the point of rolling out a broken substandard product? It ain’t going to get better!

Might as well cover Australia with a NBN limbo balloon! :play_pause:

Perhaps it is because as the realization spreads that the NBN’s quality is often not as good as claimed, more people are opting out of the NBN. Therefore $turnover will be down. Therefore prices will have to go up. Reminds me of electricity prices and solar PV panels.

1 Like

Reminds me of when the pirates were given warrants by the crown to plunder the enemy’s shipping. :flag_black: On receipt of the warrant they were no longer pirates, but instead became honourable patriots. :flag_white:

hmmmm.

1 Like

Except it is a government monopoly and there is no alternative in ~18 months excepting mobile services :open_mouth:

Mobile is exactly the option I was thinking about Phil. Mobile data dongle with built in wi-fi router to be exact.

If you use even 3 GB/day, check those mobile data costs :open_mouth:

Yes you are right. Of course everyone would have to calculate their break even point based on their usage, comparing the cost of using mobile phone data versus the cost of going with NBN. My point is it may be a viable option when compared to the increasing costs of using the NBN.

Luckily, I have 7GB of mobile phone data, (plus free calls and texts included in my Amaysim plan for just under $45 monthly).

1 Like

Update June 8. Situation unchanged except that a few more complaints to TPG with response that nbnco working on it!!

1 Like

Hi GRRRRRRRRRRR,

Just have to ask, have you “complained” to their support, or formally complained to TPG?

The latter is different from the former.

I don’t have much energy left for dealing with this problem. Whirlpool has a whole forum topic devoted to this one issue with 50 odd pages of stories. I have complained to TPG by phone and by email. Not a formal complaint yet. Earlier complaints to the nbn complaint system were not useful or not answered. While I am still on ADSL and not paying for the nbn I am going to conserve my energy. From the Whirlpool forum is another issue where the nbn technicians tell TPG etc “connected” causing rapid disconnection of the ADSL and old phone service due to the law; but the nbn connection is inactive or unreliable. In this situation the subscriber ends up completely disconnected. I am pausing for breath.

I strongly recommend you go that route considering how long it has been. NBNCo’s customer is TPG, not you, so it is not surprising they are not responsive. They want you to work through TPG.

Update In response to my last “complaint” TPG have asked on behalf of nbnco for details such as MAC address etc for the NTD. Supplied these June 12. …

1 Like