The Great Debate, Crunchy or Smooth Peanut Butter?

Hi I’m Shadia, the food content producer at CHOICE. Nice to meet you all! I do occasionally read the comments and posts in this group, very entertaining.
I want to know your preference of peanut butter, smooth or crunchy? and why?

• Crunchy Peanut Butter
  • Smooth Peanut Butter butter

0 voters

6 Likes

Both types, one for crunchy texture and one for the smooth texture. Crunchy normally sandwiches, smooth normally cooking exception is Satay when Crunchy is preferred.

9 Likes

Hi Shadia, nice to meet you too and Welcome!
Appreciate your likes on the ice cream thread :laughing:
I like the smooth peanut butter on a slice of bread, it tastes luscious!
Cheers Gaby.

6 Likes

When I eat peanut butter (which isn’t all that often), I prefer the texture of crunchy peanut butter.

We also only buy Australian grown peanut butter made only with 100% peanuts. We try not to buy those with added sugar, oil, salt or other things

13 Likes

100% agree! There’s a lot of sugar, trans fats, sodium… in a little jar :laughing:
For me it’s ‘just a little, just sometimes’ :laughing:

For children: studies say to introduce it to infants to prevent allergies later on.

7 Likes

Crunchy because I mainly use it to make peanut sauce and that is how it is if I grind the nuts from scratch. Also prefer it to be not fiddled with - just nuts.

3 Likes

Smooth. As a sandwich filling it’s an option of last resort. Possible long ago recollections of dried mixed fruit added to it as a filling. I’m more of a whole raw nut eater. Although I’ve been tempted by recent TV cooking shows to make our own, and wonder if the common DIY recipes can evade that stick to the roof of your mouth outcome?

3 Likes

Crunchy is my preference, although when a girl I preferred smooth - was that just because my sister preferred crunchy?
More than anything, I buy Aussie made and no additives, just peanuts! Store the jar upside-down (make sure lid is firmly on) in the fridge. It’s easy to stick a knife in to mix, as the oil does separate.

7 Likes

I like smooth for use on bread, crunchy for cooking. Mr Z has some autism and food textures are very important to him; he will only have smooth, he does not like nuts added to stir-fry, satay, or on his bread. He also insists on calling it Paste, even though I have gone through the definition of Paste / Butter.
Peanut butter manufacturers are finding it difficult to source 100% Australian nuts.

Bega has some conflicting information on the jar. “Proudly made in Port Melbourne with imported and local ingredients. The local ingredients are sourced Australia wide.” “Made in Australia from less than 10% Australian ingredients” “Roasted Peanuts 86%” “Australians eat more peanuts than our local industry can supply! We are currently working with our Aussie farmers to grow more peanuts.” So I am guessing there’s next to no local peanuts in the jar.

It has been a while since I had 100% Australian peanuts - A Dick Smith jar?

4 Likes

Mr Z is hoping his age and origins.

Of course it is a paste. :upside_down_face:
Calling it butter was just a bit of marketing hype that has become common use. But being part of the English American Australian language there is always scope for adaption and difference.

Incidentally one can also butter a house brick, and not raise any odd looks. Usually with mortar, but not ‘cement butter’. Although this would arguably be OK given how flexible the use of the term is in culinary practice. Do not try this at home or attempt to use for any other purpose.

4 Likes

I much prefer smooth but accidentally picked up the crunchy last time. Not as satisfying to me. I buy Sanitarium no added salt and sugar as I am on a low salt diet. Don’t get me started on the paucity of low salt foods. There is only one low salt cheese-Norco. I rarely buy processed foods or ready made foods because of salt content. I used Lite N Easy when I had medical problems but discontinued due to salt content when I was better. That said I would go back to it in an emergency situation.

3 Likes

The only one we have found which is commonly available is Bega Simply Nuts Peanut Butter - it is 99.5% Australian peanuts with 0.5% salt.

If you have a food processor, it is very easy to make using Australian peanuts. Place roasted peanuts in the food processor, process until the right consistency is achieved. If you like crunchy peanut butter, stir in finely chopped peanuts at the end.

4 Likes

Mortar can be described as “fat” too but I digress.

2 Likes

My favourite is Mayvers brand crunchy peanut butter.

2 Likes

It’s crunchy all the way. It tastes better and doesn’t stick like glue in your mouth :joy:

2 Likes

I can eat smooth, but my preference has always been crunchy.

2 Likes

Yep, my feelings exactly. :wink:

2 Likes

Got to be crunchy. Smooth sticks to my lips.

2 Likes

I like extra crunchy. The texture of smooth is not mouth pleasing for me.

3 Likes