The Great Debate, Crunchy or Smooth Peanut Butter?

I like crunchy but my son likes smooth so in my house we need to buy both.

1 Like

Whether crunchy or smooth is a jar the best value add? Imported component not considered

2kg container of Bega Smooth on Amazon only $7.50 /kg.

Compared to one source of genuine Aussie raw peanuts $8.99 /kg. Not crushed, ground or added to in any way or packaged in a jar.

The nutrition panels suggest both can be enjoyed in moderation. They are energy packed and a great source of protein. The paste does come with a significant salt load for those worried about such things. Those more interested might like to look at the nutrition panels for both products. Note the recommended serving sizes are different, which may reflect how we choose to consume either product.

2 Likes

Crunchy on toast.

Smooth in mashed potato.

3 Likes

I like them both, and depending on the purpose use them equally. However, on toast my preference is smooth and in baking, crunchy. They’re a great source of protein for a vegan. We’ve bought Bramwells from Aldi, which is made in Argentina, but discovered it contains palm oil (as many alternative brands in Aldi do).Back to Bega.

3 Likes

Palm oil is used as it is a cheap raw ingredient to keep prices down - it can be a consequence of consumers seeking cheaper prices. It can also can have environmental consequences.

I don’t know why they would add palm oil to peanut butter, as peanuts are about half oil. It possibly used to assist with shelf life (good for store brand products as longer shelf life equals less unsold product/waste) and possibly the feeling in the palate when eaten. But why not use peanut oil.

5 Likes

I make my own. It’s usually crunchy

4 Likes

Smooth on crunchy toast and crunchy in cooking/satay. Smooth with cut apple. Crunchy interferes with braces too.

4 Likes

That all makes sense. I read, recently, that most vegetable oil has palm oil. And since the bramwell brand has vegetable oil ( most companies add oil to peanut paste) maybe that’s the source of the palm oil. Even when you make your own paste, recipes suggest adding oil for spreading consistency.

2 Likes

You don’t need vegetable oil for spreadability. It is worth watching the video in one of my earlier posts to see vegetable oil isn’t needed. In the fridge, homemade peanut butter thickens, but is would do so even if a vegetable oil was added.

Edit: It is worth noting that peanut oil solidifies at about 2-3°C, whereby palm oil is around 35°C - so adding palm oil will have limited benefit as far as spread ability goes.

4 Likes

Even if we are young and healthy we should limit our salt intake to prevent high blood pressure, kidney and heart disease.
A lot of salt comes hidden in every day foods: bread, cheese, packaged foods…it pays to be always watchful, as the recommended daily intake of salt is about one metric teaspoon, if I’m not wrong.

2 Likes

Crunchy always. Smooth too gluggy & palate clinging. Particles break up that glugginess & so to me crunchy is imperative. I would never eat smooth.
I buy Australian with no additives.
Smooth & sweet, the ultimate turn off.

2 Likes

Yes, I choose the brand with no added sugar or salt

3 Likes

Definitely crunchy. Goes well with blackberry jam and a banana rolled up in a slice of flat bread. I use a well known brand with no added salt or sugar - it has 3 mg of sodium per 22 gm serve compared to 127 mg in their standard peanut butter.

The recommended salt intake is 1 teaspoon of salt (presumably a level teaspoon). This equates to 5 gm of salt (5000 mg, consisting of sodium plus chlorine), or 2000 mg of sodium.

4 Likes

No matter how rich in protein and other nutrients, natural peanuts are high in fat: the Peanut Oil we use for frying comes from them.

Ready made peanut butter often has added fat, oil, sugar, salt. According to the Aus food database it packs 10g of fat, and about 120 calories in 2 tablespoons, but only 4.4g of protein. It would take 35 min of walking to burn off those calories.

We just need to watch our intake even though it’s difficult to do as it is a very palatable food. I just pushed a jar of chocolate peanut butter out of sight towards the back of my cupboard as it is the most delicious, decadent spread ever and I kept going to it too often for my own good :laughing:

4 Likes

I make my own peanut butter, using my veteran Champion Juicer with the optional metal cover over the juice outlet.

Because this means it is 100% pure peanuts, it tends not to be quite as smooth as commercial peanut butter with its added transfats etc, but it is certainly not like commercial crunchy peanut butter (which is just commercial smooth peanut butter with kibbled peanuts mixed in).

I also make my own almond butter, cashew butter, macadamia butter, pistachio butter and hazelnut butter, and my own apricot kernel paste, using the kernels from my own apricots.

My favourite way to eat nut butters is spread into the hollow in a stick of celery!

And it’s been decades since I have made my own blackcurrant jelly for that American sandwich favourite, peanut butter and jelly.

6 Likes

Growing up I think all we could get was smooth. For a special treat, we smeared peanut butter onto individual saltine crackers and topped with a small marshmallow and put under the grill until the marshmallow was a bit melted and browned. Haven’t tried making our own peanut butter, but sounds good.

4 Likes

I prefer the crunchy peanut butter for the crunchy peanuts feel and taste. I also prefer the natural peanut butter even though you have to mix the oil back in from time to time.

My sister prefers the smooth peanut butter.

3 Likes

Hi Shadia, I am unable to vote on this poll as I do NOT like peanuts or peanut butter in any way, shape or form! Surely there must be others like me out there?

2 Likes

My preference is for crunchy. It just feels better in my mouth and I can chew a small bit on the crunchy bits of the peanuts.

2 Likes

Hi Greg, do you bake the kernels before grinding ? Some national health departments advise against eating uncooked apricot kernels as they contain amygdalin that can lead to the creation of cyanide in the gut.

6 Likes