Swimming pool heat pumps and heating

hi -
I have disconnected my black rubber tubing Pool Solar - because -
(a) it is on my valuable North facing roof space [ I am going to install PV panels for Electricity instead]; AND…
(b) I am going to buy a Pool Heat Pump which will further extend my swimming season
My pool I 9m by 4.5m - about 55,000 Litres

Has anyone had a heat-pump installed ?
…Brand, Model, Cost - is it reliable, cost efficient…etc?
thanks for the help…

1 Like

Not for a pool, but we had a Rheem heat pump installed some 5 years ago and it’s been flawless and really cheap to run from the off-peak supply.

1 Like

What brand heatpump and what result. I am about to buy a heat pump for a 55k litre pool

hi Great white58,
in early 2018, I ended up installing solar-pool heating again
… I wish that I had NOT done so because, in my opinion, the new-2018-system was NOT as good as the original solar-heating that was installed back in 1986… and, the new system that was installed has it’s own extra pump which consumes more electricity…

in my opinion, I would have been better off getting the heat-pump…

back in 2017, I also looked at 'Tractile roofing ’ as an alternative- where the Solar-panels can be combined with heating for pools etc…
… 4 years on, there have probably been advances and price-drops

try some of the other ‘product forums’ - good luck…

1 Like

My solar from sunbather had a separate pump but I added a heat pump from That Pool Company and they rejigged the solar to work through the circulation pump with a control system to turn on as required. Since then a 30 degree pool with lower electricity i.e. only one pump running less hours. Could not be more pleased. Back to the pool!

2 Likes

Does anyone reccomend any Pool heaters , either Gas , Solar or Heat Pump , I need to replace my Solar , and cost to repair is Approx $3000 , so might be better to replace it

3 Likes

I have moved your post to an existing topic with exactly the same question.

I had a solar (black plastic tubing) pool heater on the house when we bought it. The tubing connecors and other components were perishing after at least a decade on the roof in a corrosive seaside location.

We had a second smaller energy efficient pump installed to pump cooler pool water up to the roof, two floors up. The pump was set to only activate when there was a eight degree C difference between the roof water and the pool water. As water was pumped up warm water was pushed out and flowed down to the pool; the pool warmed up and roof water temperature dropped with cool water being pumped up, the difference in temperature became less than eight degrees and the secondary pump stopped. Consequently it was a very energy efficient heating system.

I will be replacing all the bits from the pump up after other roof work can be done. (We too have a shortage of available suitable builders and building materials.)

6 Likes

(I understand that there is a preference to keep all such questions on one thread, so I’m posting here, please correct me if I got it wrong).

I’m looking to install a heat pump to heat my 40,000-litre pool (considered small, I think the standard starts at 60,000-litre). I hope to move+upsize the pool in a few years but that’s not definite.

I’m in Sydney and have 7.9Kw rooftop solar array, in case this makes a difference to the answers.

I got a quote for three different heat pumps:

Fusion i19 - $5820
Force i19 - $8160
DHP 40R - $9615

All models come with 25 years warranty on the heat exchanger and 3 years warranty on the compressor.
The installer says that the DHP model is the “Rolls-Royce” of heat pumps, built from stainless steel that will last the 25 years warranty. Also, it looks more “industrial” and its fan is on its top. It’s my least likely candidate.

The main difference between the other two, Force i19 and the Fusion i19, is that the Force comes with a WiFi controller, which I don’t need because it’s going to be controlled by a SplashMe controller, and it seems to be more efficient (C.O.P of 16-6 for the Force vs. 11-5 for the Fusion).

Does anyone have experience with these models and can offer an opinion? Is the Force model efficiency worth the extra $2340 in initial cost? (I can pay for it, the main question is if it’s worth it).

Thanks.

3 Likes

hi amos,
what are the replacement costs for the Compressors? - 3 years is not a very long warranty time-period for such an expensive piece of equipment.

4 Likes

The installer couldn’t tell me how much it’ll cost. It sounded like something he never had to deal with.
I also failed to get a reply from the makers(?) of the product so far.
Do other models come with much longer warranty?

hi Amos,
I just did a very quick google-search -
website - /enviro-friendly.com/pool-heat-pumps/ - it compares “7 Best Pool Heat Pumps for Australia [2021 Update]” - (enviro-friendly.com)](https://enviro-friendly.com/pool-heat-pumps/)
… it mentions that some of them have a 5-year warranty on the compressor.

do some more research…

2 Likes

Thanks for searching. It reinforces my impression that the EvoHeat is a worthy buy. The link you sent (and now I see that the website at https://evoheat.com.au/product/force-i-series/) quotes 5 years on the compressor. I don’t know why the installer said 3 years.

I also got an email from evoheat.com.au a couple of hours ago saying that they are still waiting for a response about the cost of compressor replacement from the manufacturer.

The fact that it’s Australian made adds a great touch in their favour.

1 Like

I recently bought some radiator panels where various companies quoting had different warranty periods including the relevant brochure, and the importer yet another. A ring to the importer to see if they were the same product revealed they were, and the warranty had been extended multiple times over the past few years and the longest one quoted was the correct one.

It could be the warranty period changed over time but documents sometimes last forever.

2 Likes

Hi.

The importer has finally got back to me with the cost:

80100046 Fusion i19 compressor = $643.50 ex gst

Sounds reasonable (and the level of service of getting back to me when they got the answer from the manufacturer is also nice).

Throughout this process, I got the impression from both the installer and the importer that they never had to replace a compressor before, which adds to my confidence and at worst it’s not too costly compared to the benefits (it’s much, much more efficient than the cheaper alternative)

1 Like

Add gst, a service call and the refrigerant gas related costs is the full replacement cost around double that $1300.

1 Like

Yes, but still worth it since it sounds like it’s not common, and it’s still covered for 5 years.

2 Likes

It appears too be 5 years since this topic was revisited. I’m hoping for some more up to date information. I have an approx. 50,000 litre pool, which has been heated with rooftop solar matting. It has consistently failed to achieve acceptable temperatures unless we are at the end of a serious heatwave at the height of summer.

After researching the options, I am very interested in a combination of a pool heat pump together with a pool blanket. As I have recently installed a 9.62 kW solar system, I hope to utilise the excess energy on heating the pool, rather than exporting to the grid, especially considering the recompense, which has now dropped to 6 cents per kW (as opposed to 20 cents per kW import).

As there appears to be a wide divergence in systems, I would really appreciate some advice as to the best heat pumps and pool blankets. At the moment I am considering a Pentair Ultratemp VX 12 kW heat pump.

Regards

Seantiel

Welcome to the forum. I have moved your post to an existing relevant thread. If you have a look at the preceding posts you may find relevant information.

I had old black solar matting and it heated the pool fine for a long time (see post #6 above), so the failure to achieve acceptable temps may be a function of where you live, or possibly being not the optimal orientation, or shading. Where are you located?

I can’t advise what blanket to buy, but I can advise you NOT to buy a Daisy Pool Cover. The cover was perishing in a relatively short time, and Daisy did their best to obviate their responsibilities under the ACL. See Solar Pool Blanket Issues. We did buy a new Daisy cover and it has lasted better, but I would not buy from them again.

1 Like

Hi meltam,
I’m interested in this topic of combining solar and pool heating (I currently have a black solar matting system which takes up most of the prime north facing roof). I note your comment about an existing relevant thread but couldn’t find one that was more pertinent than this, happy to be redirected. FYI I’m in Melbourne in case that makes a difference to the possible solutions.
Also regarding Daisy pool covers, I recently replaced my but had over a decade of use out of the old one, What did you mean by a relatively short time?
Thanks

2 Likes

On our roof, we put the PV panels on the western side of our roof angled towards the north, and the solar matting on the eastern side of the roof. Their use is exclusive, as the solar matting would be shadowed by the panels so must be kept separate.

As to the Daisy pool covers, from memory we had the cover for less than four years before it started disintegrating and covering our pool with a fine blue powder. The cover would also crack with movement and touch. Perhaps the difference is in the climate, with you being in Melbourne and our pool being located relatively near the ocean on the Gold Coast?

1 Like