Site is too hard to read

I cannot read cyan on white, No contrast

2 Likes

I totally agree. There are some good protocols about colours to use White on cyan is equally hard to see.
Tim Newbery

2 Likes

Agreed that it is a far from ideal choice of colours, although it is only the topics listing. Brian, you could try decreasing brightness and increasing contrast on your screen a bit, it may help until something can be done. If it is near-impossible to read, just use your mouse to highlight the whole page.
However, I’m having no trouble reading it on a few years old Samsung 60cm monitor.

1 Like

I also have that problem - many sites use colours that are too faint, on white. I have found the magnifier on Windows 10 very helpful, though it can also be irritating!

1 Like

Hi @brianmarsden – thank you for the feedback. I’ve just put the cyan and white combination into a web accessibility colour contrast checker and you’re right. The contrast between them is about 2.7:1, and it should be at least 5:1 for WCAG AA level accessibility. So for some people, the site is too hard to read. We can fix it by dropping a couple of shades darker and will do so.

3 Likes

I am new to this but the first thing that hit me is the modern use of greyscale. I have macular degeneration in both eyes and find small fonts very hard to read and greyscale with poor contrast is almost impossible. Greyscale looks pretty but to me has little real use. I have been known to return magazines with excessive use of greyscale. Andrew._

2 Likes

I find the site generally of drab and uninteresting appearance, lacking visual appeal. The content is what matters of course but I think it could be more attractive. Of course I’ve no idea how!

I agree it could be much prettier. Perhaps we could find an artist to do a nice line drawing on a consumer theme across the top, under the navigation bar. In the meantime we can use more images in our posts – for example this topic by @PaulB is decorated beautifully with the Australian Coat of Arms.

For now, here is my dog Bertie in the laundry basket lid.

3 Likes

LoL more ‘dog- in- a - basket’ ! cats too.

1 Like

It would also be good if the webpage text was not locked especially for tablets and phones. Locking text size makes it very small and hard to read on these devices. Unlocking allows one to zoom in making text bigger.

Possible thought for improvement with any future upgrade.

3 Likes

Props for responding to the contrast problem, choice. (It really should have been considered during the site design phase, but at least you’re doing something about it.)

1 Like

It would also be helpful if the headings at the top of the list of topics remained visible as you scroll down. I keep having to scroll back to the top to see what the columns of numbers next to the topics are and then scroll back down and find the topic I was looking at…