Riot Art Online (Riot Creativity P/L) & Direct Freight Express

Paid $168.66 Riot Art Online on 29Dec2023. Riot used DirectFreightExpress on 9Jan2024 to deliver.
It did not arrive, I’ve emailed Riot’s ‘Customer Support’ numerous times but they are ignoring. Claim that my address incorrect is ridiculous. On 17 Jan, Direct Freight Express, consignment showed “RTS” . I no longer can get into my customer ‘tracking’. Both Riot & Direct Freight have delivered, 3 times to the same address. What can I do to get my $168.66 back? I am a retired senior with a disability.
kind regards and in appreciation

Welcome to the Community @Jho

It is unfortunate your order was apparently lost in shipping and Riot has fobbed you off.

A Return to Sender might still have the tracking number and from DFE’s web site, if you are lucky, it might show delivery information back to Riot.

Regardless, because it is time limited (60 days is common) contact your bank and lodge a charge dispute for non-delivery. Riot may dispute that with their shipping records and claiming it is on you because of the claimed address issue, but you should have some evidence of the address they had on file for your order from the tax invoice if nothing else, as well as their lack of engagement to sort it.

Good luck getting it sorted.

2 Likes

I would certainly request a chargeback if payment was by card. If nothing else it will get Riot’s attention since they will be notified of a dispute, and will have to explain their failure to respond to you.
Meanwhile, if you have the order confirmation it will show the shipping address. If the address is correct, then that will be another thing they will have to explain with delivery failure to avoid the chargeback and money refunded to you.
If the goods were returned back to Riot by the delivery company then I am sure that they will want to complete the sale and sort out their issue.

2 Likes

thank you, will do.

2 Likes

thank you kindly, will do that and contact bank as well.

1 Like

A chargeback won’t be successful until you have exhausted avenues to resolving with Riot Art.

Contact Riot Art again:

with your order/tax invoice and advise the purchase was undeliverable and returned to Riot Art. Say you would like either items send to your correct/confirmed address or purchase cost refunded. State if you are not called within two weeks (10 business days), you plan to instigate a credit card chargeback.

Just before submitting the above, take a screenshot for your record if you use the online form rather than email.

Wait two weeks. If they haven’t contacted you, you can start the process for a credit card chargeback. The screenshot/email and any other records can be used to support your chargeback request.

3 Likes

I’ve been requesting for Customer Support every day. It’s an automated response which sends me my “invoice/purchse order” :frowning: I’ve also asked for a Customer Service Manager’s assistance with suggested options: (1) re-send my order through another courier (2) refund the full amount
Don’t think Riot Customer Support is even reading my 'Chat" & request on their Riot webpage.
I’ll persevere. I’m happier if that $ went to a charity instead!

3 Likes

Try them one last time with the threat of a chargeback. This hopefully will get them responding.

There is some criticism online that they don’t appear to have a phone number for online order support - which is not good as their support email address could be bombarded with spam, scam emails as well as legitimate customer enquires. It then makes it hard to provide good customer support as it can be difficult to separate the good from the garbage.

Are there any alternative contact details on the order/tax invoice you can use?

2 Likes

Have you tried sending an email direct to their support address, which I think is support@riot.com.au rather than wasting time with web page forms?

Now, another poster has said that a card chargeback will not succeed in your case. That is not good advice, as it may dissuade you from pursuing your rights for a remedy. That is either deliver the goods paid for or give the money back.

Card chargeback is a process. The organization that supplies your card, the ‘issuer’, is required by the rules of the card networks like Visa or MC, to lodge your complaint if the issue meets certain criteria. Failure to deliver goods purchased is one of those.

They will then advise the other end, the ‘acquirer’, and the merchant, that a dispute has been lodged. The money may be provisionally credited back to your account, but then the issuer and acquirer will take on your case. Also, once a chargeback has been lodged, the clock stops on the time limits that may apply to lodge a complaint.

Having the ‘system’ helping you works. Has for me on a few occasions.

3 Likes

That wasn’t what was said. The advice given was:

A chargeback isn’t the first option to resolve a dispute with a retailer. It is a pathway to use when other options have proved to be unsuccessful.

The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (Ombudsman) link provided about the chargeback process states:

Try to resolve the issue with the merchant first

and

If you did not receive the goods or service, you may be able to request a chargeback. However, your bank (or credit union) may ask you to show how you tried to resolve the matter with the merchant first. If you do not contact the merchant first, this may impact your ability to request a chargeback.

The advice provided concurs with this. If one doesn’t try to resolve the issue with the merchant first and has evidence this has been done, the likelihood of a successful chargeback outcome is greatly reduced/unlikely.

1 Like

The OP’s problem is that they have been trying to deal with the merchant via the contact method and are getting nowhere.
So, since one month has already passed, the time left to lodge a chargeback is running out.
So yes, reasonable attempts to deal with the merchant have been made, multiple times.
Time for a chargeback.

It still is unlikely to be successful at this point of time.

As chargeback fraud has increased in recent years, financial institutions have become more rigorous in assessing chargeback requests. They often now require sufficient evidence to demonstrate that all avenues to resolve the dispute with a supplier of goods or services has been attempted (hence why the Australian Financial Complaints Authority provides such advice). Our own merchant bank provides advice on how to minimise the success of chargebacks and what information needs to be gathered to reduce the likelihood of a chargeback success (which we have fully implemented).

Contacting Riot Art with a formal notice as indicated above provides Riot Art with the opportunity to respond. It also ‘lines the ducks up’ in relation to maximising the potential for a successful chargeback request.

The advice given is to maximise the success of a chargeback, rather than prematurely lodging a chargeback hoping (fingers crossed) that it will succeed.

@Jho should be writing formally to Riot Art as outlined above, putting them on notice before lodging a chargeback request with their card issuer. Not doing so, the likelihood of a successful chargeback is substantially reduced.

There should be sufficient time. Most card issuers allow 90 (3 months) to 120 days (4 months) to dispute a transaction.

Waiting another 10 business days (bringing the time to 40-50 days) to maximise likely success of a chargeback will be time well utilised.

Prematurely lodging a chargeback without sufficient evidence, will be time wasted.

1 Like

How do you formally communicate with an online seller that does not publish an address or a phone number and seems to ignore their chosen method of an online form?

You may well be a better behaved business that provides proper customer service, and be aware of defending against unwarranted chargebacks. Sure they do occur.

But I would not be wasting my time trying to find some way of sending some formal notice to a company that does not provide any means to do so.

My card issuer is required to take my issue seriously, and as I have said, even though ultimately a chargeback may not result in a refund if the merchant does what they are supposed to do and start communicating and deliver, it will put a case into the system.

There is another way of attracting their attention. If they possess a page on facebook, leaving a critical message thereon usually elicits a response. They do appear to have a presence on facebook.

They do, but it is locked and posts can’t be made:

But messaging is active so send a copy of the message through their FB page as well as by email would ensure that they get it. Both then can be used to demonstrate that contact was made to try and resolve it with Riot Art should they decide not to reply.

2 Likes

Thank you kindly, much appreciated for your direction & advice. Have done so today. Probably won’t hear fm them but I’ll keep trying.

2 Likes

Hopefully you do. If you don’t, you should have sufficient evidence to support a credit card chargeback.

Let us know if you do hear from the over the coming week(s).

If there are any questions or additional troubleshooting you need, don’t hesitate in making another post.

1 Like

I’ve decided to submit a chargeback form through credit card/bank.
Fingers crossed, waiting for some sort of outcome. Hopefully, my money back.
Learnt my lesson. Think I’ll ditch online shopping forever.

1 Like

Don’t give up on online shopping. Just need to be selective on which sites to buy from.

I’ve never had problems with the likes of Amazon, US, or AU, or stores that have both a shop presence and online, like JbHifi, or even buying off Ebay. Or even global shop direct.

Just need to be aware of the sites that offer very little in the way of support. No address, no phone number, no deal with them.

3 Likes

Thank you Greg & Phb for your advice & insight. Filled in
Credit card chargeback and record ‘refund’. I’ve tried to close /delete my account with Riot but not easy.
Bank advised me to keep an eye on a/c just in case Riot tries to put the charge through again!
A. big thanks for all your support! Got money back! cheers

2 Likes