Price not identified as being in US dollars

Yes. The original issue is that Subaru Australia offers a service to an Australian customer and sends said customer to a site that does not make it clear that the payment is not what would be expected for an Australian customer paying for what should be maps for use in Australia.

There is a problem to be addressed by Subaru in its processes. Continuous improvement should be a fundamental imperative of any company.

4 Likes

Thanks Gregr, my original post appears to have been long lost.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Posted Mail Services - is it time to say Goodbye?

A good result. Subaru Australia have just confirmed that they will refund the difference between $214 (AUS) and $214 (USD) plus the bankā€™s foreign exchange fee of $9.60.

ie $115.60

The amount was never that important, the principle was.

8 Likes

An excellent result. Good to see that a company is prepared to admit (tacitly) their part in this problem and make appropriate amends.

Something to diarise for two years time though:

• Has the web site been improved?
  • Does it make clear at any point what currency applies?

Even if the web site is unchanged at that point in time, Iā€™m not sure you will get away with asking for the same refund next time. :rofl:

2 Likes

I find it best to use the maps on my phone. Apple Maps use Tom Tom and are always up to date. I donā€™t use the cars built in GPS for the very reason of the excessive fees.

Providing that you comply with the law in the relevant state/territory regarding mobile phone use in a car e.g. donā€™t want to get hit by: New Answer To Idiots Who Use Mobile Phones Whilst Driving

ā€¦though 8 days so far without payment from Subaru is annoying !

2 Likes

Sent: 23/01/2023 7:06 PM
To: feedback@subaru.com.au
Subject: FW: Case 00726565: Re: Renewal of maps for 2019 Subaru Forester [ ref:_00D58Z5BV._5008e7Gzz9:ref ]

, I note that in your last email of 12 Jan 2023 you advised that ā€œand will advise you in a follow up email the turnaround time for processing. ā€œ ???

Reply received 24 Jan 2023

Hi Peter,

Apologies for the delayed response, we are currently experiencing longer than usual response times.

We appreciate your patience and understanding, I can confirm I have now processed the reimbursement of $115.60.

Please allow 7 - 10 business days for the funds to reach your account.

Thanks,

Customer service at its best !

2 Likes

Hmmm. Well I would be waiting the 7 - 10 business days (i.e. 2 weeks) before declaring that this is even satisfactory customer service.

Customer service at even close to its best would be maybe funds available on Tuesday (given that Australia Day will prevent transactions completely and thereā€™s a weekend in the way too).

My comment regarding customer service was tongue in cheek.

Issue first raised with Subaru on 8 Dec 2022.

Subaruā€™s decision to pay monies advised on 12 Jan 2023 at which time documentary evidence requested by Subaru was provided.

Advice from Subaru on 24 Jan 2023 that payment would be made in 7-10 days.

Each response from Subaru has only been as a result of an emails or phone calls from myself. At no time has Subaru initiated contact with myself.

3 Likes

Email sent to Subaru tonight:
"Depending upon interpretation, it has now been 10 or 11 business days since Subaruā€™s commitment to pay myself $115.60 within a 7-10 business day time frame.

That is , your commitment of 24 Jan 2023 has not been honoured. Actually, it has been 18 business days since this commitment was made by Subaru.

Obviously you work for a company where integrity and customer service is everything.

The fact that Subaru have agreed to pay the difference in the excess amount I believed I incurred in Australian dollars and the actual cost to me in US dollars plus bank charges for foreign exchange confirms that Subaru is aware of the ā€œrortā€ that exists, and are part of.

My next port of call appears to be ASIC and Fair Trading."

I should have said ACCC to which a report has now been sent.

1 Like

Going back to the topic.

I have a case where the purchase was identified as being in Oz dollars, screen shots of same showing ā€œAUDā€ next to the price. When you go to the checkout (Paypal in this case) miraculously the price goes up about 50% with Paypal informing you that they used the conversion of 0.66 c per dollar from USD to AUD.

So the vendorā€™s web site doesnā€™t disguise the fact that they are using USD but lies about it instead.

The site is www.sureix.com which is registered through a bureau and gives little detail. They donā€™t say much about themselves but an error on the web page where a button is labelled in Chinese characters instead of Roman gives a hint. They say they are

Anhui Huiao Electronic Commerce Co., Ltd.
Contact No. +86-13763380220

Which is in China, so no chance of consumer law applying in any useful way.

2 Likes

Acting Case Manger has today rang and confirmed that the price for a Subaru Forrester GPS maps update has now been corrected on the relevant website and the price is now displayed in AUS Dollars. However the Acting Case Manager is unable to advise when her Accounts payable team will be able to process payment, notwithstanding the same Case Manager confirmed that payment would be received within 7-10 business days of 24 Jan 2023. The date when documentation was requested to support payment (and supplied) was 12 Jan 2023. As I commented upon previously, great customer service.
I also received a phone call yesterday from the same Case Manger, I believe as a result of finally including my local Subaru dealership in the loop.

4 Likes

At least they arenā€™t ghosting you. :rofl: You wouldnā€™t want to be waiting on the money though.

Finally paid by Subaru.
Prior to this experience I have been most satisfied with my Subaru purchase. However, I now understand that any warranty issues I may have will be in the hands of an organisation that does not have the capacity to pay a small sum of money owing within a three month period nor meet their successive commitments to make such payments. This has really taken the gloss off my Subaru ownership.

2 Likes

Airbnb fined $15 million for misleading thousands of customers into paying higher prices for years

The ACCC alleged that between January 2018 and August 2021, Airbnb displayed prices to Australian users in US dollars without making it clear to customers, resulting in them being charged a higher price for accommodation compared to what was listed on the platform.

Airbnb said customers had agreed to be charged in US dollars because the abbreviation ā€œUSDā€ was written in tiny font at the final stage of the booking process.

3 Likes

Probably double that since they also have to repay customers millions of dollars and pay all the ACCC legal costs.

May be good to file this legal decision away for future use for someone encountering a site that misleads in dollars charged and that site wants to play silly buggers when a complaint is made and refund asked for.

Just quote ACCC vs AirBnb 2023. Huge fine for misleading conduct. And a complaint will be made to that organisation for the same conduct. Now refund me.

1 Like

Even worse are sites that never say either USD or AUD. Just $. But the charge is actually in USD.

Maybe Australia needs its own unique currency symbol rather than overloading the $ sign.

That will be :banana:20, thanks.

:wink:

1 Like

Elements of the peso and the dollar?

2 Likes