Prepaid Mobile Starter Packs (Coles specials)

G’day all, I noticed this add in my Coles catalogue but it seems to good to be true? It says 80GB, 12 month expiry (great for my rarely used backup mobile broadband modem) but below that says withing 35 days? I looked on the Vodafone site but couldn’t see this exact deal, Coles may negotiate deals with providers?

What are your thoughts.

Andrew.

4 Likes

This is only a guess, but one of three things is likely to be the case:

1. the ‘starter pack’ can be activated within 12 months, but on activation you have only 35 days of use;
  2. the ‘starter pack’ must be activated within 35 days, and provides 12 months of use; or
  3. Someone has misprinted something. (Maybe left the 6 out that should have been between 3 and 5?)

A browse through the Coles online catalogue taught me that the thing is way too big, and I couldn’t find this deal anywhere. Fortunately I was then permitted to search, and found exactly what you have already shown.

As the pack is unavailable online, I suggest that you seek clarification in-store. The packaging may have additional details, or a supervisor should be able to find the answer for you.

5 Likes

On the Vodafone page about this product (https://www.vodafone.com.au/hot-offers/starter-deal) it states you get an extra 25 GB of data for a 35 day period plus an extra 25 GB of data for the next 2 recharges of $30 or more Combo Plus recharges before 02/11/19. They are selling it online for $20 up to the 30/7/2019 and the bonus data offer expires after 20/08/19 according to the page on the offer. Officeworks also have the deal at $15.

The T&Cs though do not reflect all this date info (some end dates in the T&Cs reflect much earlier dates…). In the T&Cs it requires activation by/including 08/07/2019 to get the bonus data so already too late (even though you can purchase the deal up to 30/07/19). The recharges must be done before the end of 21/09/2019 (two months earlier than the date advised on the home page). Either sloppy editing of the T&Cs when updating for the new deal or completely unacceptable bait advertising…who goes with the latter?

T&Cs
" $40 Combo Plus Starter Pack

Prepaid Starter Pack Discount
Offer available online to customers who purchase a Vodafone Prepaid $40 Starter Pack via shop.vodafone.com.au by 30/07/19 (inclusive). $20 discount will be applied at checkout. Offer not available for commercial or resale purposes. Limit 1 per customer. Not transferable and not redeemable for cash. Standard Prepaid Starter Pack terms apply – see for more info.

Included Value
Not for commercial or resale purposes. All inclusions expire after 35 days or upon next recharge, whichever occurs first.

Included Data
Data for use in Australia only. Once data inclusion is used, you will need to purchase a data add-on or recharge to continue using data.

Combo Plus Free Data
Free data only when recharging online, through My Vodafone, via TXT or by calling 1555.

Infinite National Calls & TXT
Excludes premium services and video calls. Personal use only. Fair use policy applies. See www.vodafone.com.au/fairuse.

Included International Minutes to Selected Countries
Excludes premium services, special and overseas free phone numbers and video calls. Standard Voice Calls to selected list of countries. Countries may change from time to time, see https://vodafone.com.au/internationalcountries for list of current countries. Fair use policy applies. See www.vodafone.com.au/fairuse. My Credit, if you have any, will be used for minutes of standard voice calls to selected countries once included allocation is exhausted and for calls to any countries not included in the selected countries list or otherwise included in your recharge.

50 Standard International TXT
One TXT is 160 characters long.

Bonus Data Offer
Personal use only. Bonus 25GB data available to new prepaid customers (‘Eligible Customers’) who purchase and activate a Prepaid $30 and above Combo Plus Starter Pack (‘Eligible Recharge) by 08/07/2019 (inclusive). Bonus is available on the Starter Pack plus the next two Eligible Recharges made before 21/09/2019 (inclusive). Bonus: 25GB on $30 Prepaid Combo Plus Starter Pack (10GB included, total 35GB), 25GB on $40 Prepaid Combo Plus Starter Pack (20GB included, total 45GB), 25GB on $50 Prepaid Combo Plus Starter Pack (30GB included, total 55GB), $60 Prepaid Combo Plus Starter Pack (45GB included, total 70GB). Applied within 72 hours following successful activation of Starter Pack. Limit 2 per Eligible Customers. When you activate your Vodafone SIM you accept the Vodafone Standard Form of Agreement. A summary and the full agreement are available at vodafone.com.au/sfoa. All offers subject to change. Prescribed ID and user details must be provided. Recharge costs additional. Not transferrable or redeemable for cash. For new customers prescribed ID and user details must be provided."

EDIT: Managed at last to get the CIS pdf downloaded. No info available regarding the dates used.

5 Likes

Bloody hell that’s a lot of fine print for a prepaid sim. What happened to the days of ‘Pay $x get yGB’ no expiry or conditions?

7 Likes

Thanks for the replys, I did see that starter pack on their website, but wasn’t sure if it was the same, couldn’t find 80GB mentioned? I agree that’s a lot of fine print, seems very confusing!

3 Likes

3 X 25 GB is of course 75 GB so I guess they think that’s close enough to the 80 GB…you do get an extra 0.5 GB if you recharge online each recharge so an extra 1.5 GB there. I used the $15 Officeworks offer to look at the detail as I assume this is a Coles empire offer of which OW are part. The Coles $15 offer is only for the sale period 24/07 to 30/07 which ties in with the end of the offer on the Vodafone site. My thoughts are they have just taken a $5 off the $20 offer to encourage more sales of these packs during their sale period. The $20 offer has been going for a month or more already.

I also think the 80 GB is more likely a miscalculation of the bonus data offer by Coles than actually a real 80 GB (could be and have been wrong in the past though). The 12 month expiry still has me stumped other than if you don’t recharge you still retain the number and can receive calls for 12 months after the expiry of the last recharge.

Dates vary from site to site on when it needs to be activated, when recharges must be made by and this one is from the Whistleout page about the Vodafone offer:

" Deal
Discounted price: Get 50% off plan fees when you get the $40 Combo Plus Starter Pack. Offer ends 18/06/19. Not available for 5 or 10 recharge periods. Online only. T&C apply.

Bonus Data: Includes 25GB bonus data when you activate by 20/08/19. And get 25GB bonus data with your next 2x $30 and above Combo Plus recharges made by 02/11/19. Data reverts to 30GB standard inclusion thereafter on $50 Prepaid Combo Plus. T&C apply.

Terms & Conditions :
Bonus Data Offer Personal use only. Bonus 25GB data available to new prepaid customers (‘Eligible Customers’) who purchase and activate a Prepaid $30 and above Combo Plus Starter Pack (‘Eligible Recharge) by 20/08/2019 (inclusive). Bonus is available on the Starter Pack plus the next two Eligible Recharges made before 02/11/2019 (inclusive). Bonus: 25GB on $30 Prepaid Combo Plus Starter Pack (10GB included, total 35GB), 25GB on $40 Prepaid Combo Plus Starter Pack (20GB included, total 45GB), 25GB on $50 Prepaid Combo Plus Starter Pack (30GB included, total 55GB). Applied within 72 hours following successful activation of Starter Pack. Limit 2 per Eligible Customers. When you activate your Vodafone SIM you accept the Vodafone Standard Form of Agreement. A summary and the full agreement are available at vodafone.com.au/sfoa. All offers subject to change. Prescribed ID and user details must be provided. Recharge costs additional. Not transferrable or redeemable for cash. For new customers prescribed ID and user details must be provided.
"

You may notice even in this one dates are contradictory eg offer ends 18/06 but in the T&Cs it says if you purchase and activate up to end of 20/08…it beggars belief that this can even pass someones proofing of the documents…

@BrendanMays/@ajohnson Maybe CHOICE should throw them to the wolves(ok maybe puppies it seems in some cases) at the ACCC just on the basis of incompetent staffing at these businesses. But this must approach the standard of bait, false, or deceptive advertising/offers.

6 Likes

Yeah, seems likely to cause confusion to me. I’ll add it to our SpotAShonky list.

Unfortunately I think most of these prepaid deals are on a relatively short expiry.

3 Likes

I picked up the starter pack this today and activated it, No 80GB and 35 day expiry. I’ll be asking for a refund.

There is no mention of the amount of data anywhere on the physical packaging. On the back is says “Starter Pack expires 365 days after purchase if not activated”

During the online activation process (which requires opening the sealed packaging to read the activation key) it then it only mentions 25GB with 35 day expiry.

Screenshot_2019-07-25%20Dashboard%20My%20Vodafone%20Australia

I’ve also scanned the printed add from my catalogue showing the prominent wording “80GB, 12 month expiry” To the average customer this would have one believing 80GB of data that expires in a year? The printed T&C’s are also vague, one could read it that you need to activate it withing 35days?

Shonky or just very poor advertising!

add10014

7 Likes

Shonky, misleading, deceptive.
Disturbing and worrying.

More so if the remedy is simply to get your money back because what they advertised is not what is delivered.

Perhaps Vodafone or Coles need to advertise a public retraction of the offer? Better still they should honour the 80GB data over 365 days. :rage:

You obviously don’t get 80GB for just $15!

6 Likes

I was not expecting that you would get the 80 GB as a single benefit, as I explained further up about what I thought was a Coles bungle. But they printed it and so should be held to account for it. I do wonder if they retracted it as an offer on one of their little “We made an error in the catalogue” slips that they tend to stick to the front service desk and maybe put in a couple of newspapers, still in my heartfelt opinion not good enough and most likely in law could be a failure as well.

The dates the Vodafone T&Cs used were different compared to the bright shiny item pages they and others had for the offer. I don’t think I found one site that had consistency with the T&Cs. Nothing could be relied on as being correct. So no surprise that you failed to get the 80 GB but you have great ammo to make a really good formal complaint to Coles and the ACCC about your purchase and perhaps receive some apology & compensation beyond a simple refund.

6 Likes

I’ve expressed my dissatisfaction via Coles Facebook messenger, awaiting there response.

5 Likes

Great! and I’m sure they will respond just not sure it will be with any enthusiasm to correct the issue, but you never know as Social impact without response by them hurts them more than fixing it and getting a public thanks. I would also post your opinion on their timeline, as that is public compared to messenger which only Coles, FB and their attached parties get to see.

If you would like we would be interested in any follow up you get and I’m sure CHOICE staff will be interested in any result you get.

4 Likes

I’ve received a reply back from Coles regarding this issue. Interestingly depending on the method that I communicated my displeasure I received different responses. I sent the same message via their Facebook messenger channel and another by the “contact us” form on their web site.

From messenger; Thanks for your patience. Our Store Manager has been in touch and believes the issue would be with the telco provider. We’d recommend contacting Vodafone to see if the Starter Pack was activated correctly to receive the advertised pre-paid data and expiry terms. They may also be able to assist if the activation was perhaps not completed selecting the appropriate options. We hope this information helps.

From customer care via email; Thank you for contacting Coles Customer Care. Upon receipt of your correspondence, we were in contact with our Merchandise Team. They have advised that unfortunately because you have activated we are unable to refund the product. However, as a gesture of good will we would be happy to provide you with a $40 gift card. If you could please provide your best postal address to send this to? Should you require any further information please contact our Customer Care Team on free call: 1800 061 562, where one of our consultants will be more than happy to assist you. Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us. We hope this information has been helpful and we look forward to your future custom at Coles.

They say they are unable to refund because I activated the sim, but that is the only way you know that the product was not the same as advertised? How else could one know? The T&C’s were so confusing as mentioned above.

Any way, I’ll accept the gift card and let it be done. Although I think the Choice team should look into this type of misleading advertising in future.

4 Likes

It would be interesting how this is dealt with under the Australian Consumer Law, as the product is not as advertised and therefore not fit for purpose. One can’t determine until the product is used.

This statement is a bit like saying that since you opened a can of spagetti to find out it was off or spoiled, we can’t do anything because the can has been opened and not the same condition as purchased. The damage from opening the can is considered deliberate damage of the product and therefore exempt under the ACL.

There has been examples where businesses have tried to negate their responsibilities under the ACL by making unreasonable claims to why there is an exception…e.g. not in original packaging, underpants has been worn etc. I suspect that falls into one of these categories.

Also, is there a cooling off period for the sim? This might be something also worth exploring if your sim purchase sits outside the ACL and under the Telcoms Act.

3 Likes

Under Australian Consumer Law both major and minor failures must be addressed by the retailer, and cannot be sent to the supplier.

I would class a significant difference in what the product was and when it could be used as a ‘major failure’

Therefore it is the consumer’s choice on if you get a monetary refund. If you want it legally Coles must provide it based on those presumptions. It is their responsibility to chase it up with Vodaphone if they want their money back.

3 Likes

That should be what the consumer receives but with some products such as mobile plans is rarely what is received.

Best option when fobbed off is to write a formal letter of complaint to the retail manager or owner citing chapter and verse of the ACL stating one’s claim about the problem and the resolution you want. If they continue to fob you off to the carrier get that in writing or have dated notes, and then straight to the ACCC and ombudsman service. It is well past time the carriers are called to account for their often misleading claims or ridiculous caveats in the fine print such as plan expiration 365 days, bonus 80 GB data must be used in 30 days and then 1GB per month. Who would? Who could?

4 Likes

Have a look at Kogan Mobile annually prepaid which is with Vodaphone. I have been using it now for three years, I picked up a 20GB ($20.90) and a 13 GB (approix. $15) pcm for about $450 in total for my two phones. Sign up with them and wait for deals

https://www.kogan.com/au/shop/phones/prepaid-plans/?_ga=2.159060410.1633826235.1565150539-207483610.1558744746&facet-inclusions-filterable=Unlimited+National+Standard+Calls+%26+SMS

2 Likes

I really would appreciate some help with this please. Here is a copy of the chat just finished:
Chat Started Thursday 15 July 2021 4:14 PM

Hey, thank you for contacting Coles Mobile, a representative will be with you shortly. Please let us know how we can help today

4:14 PM

Aldric Connected

4:15 PM

Aldric

Welcome to Coles Mobile, how may I help you today?

4:15 PM

Stephanie Chung

I have just purchased your 365day sim + data but it does not say it is for 120GB. Can you confirm that it is? AND I cannot use a credit or debit card to activate. it. Can it be activated without card?

4:18 PM

Aldric

The credit card will be required for verification purposes.

You will not be charged.

The SIM pack should denote that dollar amount on the pack

4:19 PM

Stephanie Chung

Can I use something else such as a medicare card or passport etc?

4:20 PM

Aldric

The credit card will be required for verification purposes.

We cannot use any other ID

4:20 PM

Stephanie Chung

THe packaging says $150 BUT does not state 120GB.

4:21 PM

Aldric

The $150 pack will be inclusive of 120 GB.

4:21 PM

Stephanie Chung

That is bad news and worrisome. I will need to consult our Consumer Watchdog whether this is reasonable… Thank you Can I get a copy of this chat advice?

4:23 PM

Aldric

Unfortunately we do not have this, you may screenshot this if you wish

4:24 PM

Stephanie Chung

Thank you.

4:24 PM

So is this reasonable? I have always purchased prepaid cards (Aldi, Amaysim, Boost, Coles to date) and have never been required to produce such card purely for identity purposes. Why is it necessary when I have already paid the $? As a technology ignorant elderly? we are warned to be careful of releasing any personal especially financially related info. So many of my fellows here in this village also resist using their card, if they do have one for, for security reasons. Would appreciate any views on this thanks.

Hi @MaryS,

ACMA advice

https://www.acma.gov.au/acmas-rules-id-checks-prepaid-mobiles

They appear to be required to accept the mix of ID listed in ‘A’ and ‘B’.

You might be better served to ask for a supervisory agent, and then their complaints line.

The requirement for verifiable ID is because of ‘bad people’ having used ‘throw away mobiles’ to operate criminal activities including drug dealing to be untraceable. Different things are illegal in different jurisdictions and ‘throw aways’ have been criminals’ answer to avoiding detection/identification.

4 Likes

A question. If you are buying a prepaid phone service, how are you going to recharge your account without some sort of card? Are you proposing to recharge by buying a voucher for cash and recharge that way?