Prepaid Mobile Starter Packs (Coles specials)

Yes, that is what I always do over these years since first mobile phone use. It is not a problem for me and not the hassle of when companies renew when I prefer to look around and maybe change provider. I cannot deal with trying to get your $ back and so easy to buy recharge vouchers from the supermarkets.

2 Likes

I as many of my generation are not heavy card uses.

If you reach an impasse while it might not be your preference, almost everyone has a debit card associated with their transaction accounts these days, whether or not they use them regularly or ever, so requiring a credit or debit card could just be a ‘lazy answer’ to getting ID.

From @phb’s links note the first part of the T&C - the prepaid default to autorecharge so that required a card on file to activate, but then autorecharge can be turned off.

Alternatively you should get a refund if the card requirement was not stated on the T&C of the package you purchased, and not referenced in a reasonable manner,

3 Likes

This is the pre-paid which you purchased:

It clearly states 120GB. It is worth taking a screenshot of this webpage as well as downloading the

and keep these for your own record. They could change over a 12 month period and having the ones when you activate the SIM is imporant.

3 Likes

Thank you PhilT and maybe the topic can be changed to just prepaids or something. I used this subject heading as I could not find another more appropriate. Guess I should have started a new topic.
Thank you for the reasoning. I do have other forms of ID in the lists but seemingly Coles/Optus is not accepting anything else. The power companies have more flexibility in identifable documents.
So I guess I go back to Coles who can check with Optus.
But, to make things easier for myself is to get a debit card and keep $0 balance on it, seems the best option.
Thanks again.

1 Like

Thanks for the sound advice phb. Will do.

2 Likes

For clarity a debit card is tied to the balance in (usually) your transaction account and using one is like spending cash from your account. I presume you mean you will not use it and thus ‘keep $0 balance on it’?

1 Like

Yes, I will keep this solely for this identity purpose. Then I will not worry about it being undesirably accessed and cleaned out. Correct?

2 Likes

Set up an account with perhaps $5 in it then get a Visa debit card linked to the account. The most you will lose is $5 if the details are breached. There are some Banks or similar institutions that have no fee accounts so regardless of the balance you won’t need to keep topping the account up.

4 Likes

Thanks grahroll. I did not realise having the debit card connected to another account was a weak point on security. I am peeved that Coles/Optus will not accept other identity documents, which are not financially linked or trap the unwary into being auto-renewed. Will trip to a fast disappearing branch to arrange the extra account. Thanks.

5 Likes

It is becoming more pervasive that you need some sort of card these days to set up or buy services. I had the same issue the last time I bought a $2 SIM and went to activate it online. Since I recharge via credit / debit card anyway, no problem.

So I have had a transaction account for many years, no interest paid, and no ongoing charges, with almost nothing in it, and comes with a Visa branded debit card.

I use it for purposes just like yours @MaryS.

Every couple of years I do a transaction of say a dollar in or out to keep it alive and stop the bank closing it and sending the balance off to the ATO.

5 Likes

(Cynicism) It is established that businesses tout auto-renewals as superior customer service. By having auto-renewals as their default the ‘valuable service’ does not unintentionally lapse. Imagine having mobile service unexpectedly stop and any roll-over data or credit expire from inattentiveness, in spite of the routine and timely advisories usually sent to inform the customer of the billing date. (/Cynicism)

Reality is consumers ‘we’ know prefer to opt-in not opt-out to avoid billing surprises, and take some responsibility for their ‘valuable services’.

3 Likes

Many thanks PhilT.
Yes it has its pros and cons, each to their own situation and lifestyle. Norton was offering an extra 3 months free subscription for auto-renewers. It is certainly worth their while to get you connected. It is worth my while at present, lifestyle, age and skill-wise to NOT be connected to autorenewals.
Your comments much appreciated ‘food for thought’.

2 Likes

Many Thanks Gregr. Certainly seems the simplest course of action for someone who strives for the simplest minimally encumbered existence.

2 Likes