**Poll** - How do you use the NBN?

What are you most interested in, when it comes to Broadband speeds delivered by ISPs servicing the NBN?

• Streaming (peak time download of movies, TV or HD video calls)
  • Gaming (low latency for responsiveness)
  • All rounder (decent across the board compared to claims)
  • Teleworking or Home Office (download and upload most important)

0 voters

Can’t see the requirement for you? Comment below and let us know what you are looking for instead of the broad categories above.

5 Likes

Streaming would be nice, as we frequently rely on ABC iView due to poor TV reception, but NBN satellite often doesn’t seem to be up to the task. Too much buffering and too many forced re-starts make it a rather frustrating experience.
I’m giving it F for fail.

4 Likes

I/we require:

1. Low latency for gaming
  2. High limits or unlimited limits for streaming and downloads and uploads (use between 2 and 5 TB a month) for 4-6 connected adults
  3. High speed download to go with the high limits (at least 20 Mbps but we pay for 100 Mbps) We don’t get consistency with and notice slow downs and disconnects during each day.
  4. Reasonable upload speed for when some adults work from home or when we troubleshoot family and others’ computers online.
  5. As noted in 3 consistency of speed and connection (but this is a fail). ADSL2 or Wifi connection (not NBN) was much, much more reliable.

I also add that the Satellite @gordon and others suffer under is, in my opinion, unfit for purpose but a tad (and a very minuscule tad at that) better than nothing at all.

5 Likes

We’re lucky to have FTTN - 25Mb/s - once the initial fiasco of installation was over it hasn’t missed a beat. Mostly general stuff and streaming - Netflix, IView, SBS on demand etc - multiple users - kids, youtube, gaming and the other night ‘someone’ here downloaded over 90GB of ‘stuff’ without anyone else complaining …
I feel sorry for people relegated to satellite and I wonder what the 'cable tv solutions; will actually provide …

1 Like

I’ve been used to ADSL of 3Mbps and less, so the low speed 12Mbps will be fantastic. NBN isn’t just about speed. It is about speed volume telecommunications.

At least I’ll be able to watch You Tube and iview. Regular software updates won’t take hours. I expect as I get used to higher speeds I’ll extend my use. I also don’t envisage a high data use to start with 10GB/mth average, with occasional month higher, like when you do computer upgrades.

But, I’m the one that will have to pay for the compulsory switch, new phone, new security controller, new installation, and a significantly higher monthly fee, that doesn’t support the landline and home security. For a service with no basic service level!

I feel that most of the offerings are a real rip off. They all hype up the speed and data, but the small print implies that they won’t achieve those rates, however, the pricing is based on those rates. It seems very unfair that fibre to the house is the same price as to the node.

I feel I am being pushed into getting a faster and larger service that I will need on the higher monthly fee, and that will set the baseline price for the years to come. Even if I never get the full use from it.

My brother lives in Toronto Canada, and for years they dispensed with phone type pricing, landline, skype mobile, it is just a phone, all have the same usage rates. So he only needs a mobile, and it is far cheaper than anything here for all usage, intra state, interstate, international are all so cheap.

3 Likes

Have 12/1 ADSL atm, Only major restriction to needs seems to be viewing security video from remote location over VPN.
ie When I’m away from home the up speed of 1 from home router makes looking at video from the security cameras a painful process, characterised by buffering and slow response when reviewing recordings.

So in our case it seems like going to the diluted MTM NBN with a promise of 12/1 and 25/5 down the track is a small incremental improvement, not a “wow” step change that all the fuss and cost would lead us to believe. We are slated for FTTN and at least 500m from pillar so I’m resigned to the fact that we won’t have opportunity for leading edge network speed any time soon, and maybe even go backwards with connection reliability and speed due to congestion. Also have liked being a Telstra ADSL customer as when ever there was a fault they fixed it, there was no opportunity for the provider to blame a non contactable 3rd party and say nothing can be done.

Can’t wait to get NBN - though not due for another twelve months. At present we cannot even get ADSL due to a “lack of ports” at the exchange. Have to rely on “mobile” internet which is extortionately expensive for general household use.

I would just like good download speed, as ours is only half of what those in Melbourne city get. We are only about 30 k’s out of town, not remote at all ! Sadly. I am told by my ISP that the NBN will do nothing for us due to our distance from the node.
If I knew anything much about your questions, no doubt I would have an opinion - but with our lousy speed, none of these things mean all that much too me.
Just like to say that I’m not all that impressed that I will be forced on to the NBN for more money, with no improvement in service. If I felt that everyone else would get a real benefit, I might not mind so much - but it seems like no one is happy.

1 Like

I created a wiki about the NBN you may find useful to read at [quote=“grahroll, post:1, topic:14546”]
The NBN and things you should know
[/quote]

As I don’t know your area’s make up, eg dense housing or sparse rural, I can’t really give you any idea about how you might improve your likely NBN speeds. However I do recommend you contact your local Federal & State MPs, your council, your State’s Senators and complain/ask for improved service.

If you have many around you in the same “boat” get a petition together to lodge in both Federal & State Parliaments through your local representatives. Try to get the NBN to fit Micro-Nodes[quote=“grahroll, post:1, topic:14546”]
Node/s & Micro Nodes:
[/quote]

closer to you (if getting FTTN) or to get a change from FTTN to FTTC/FTTP for your area. If you can, get your council to support you to lodge an Area Switch on your area’s behalf:[quote=“grahroll, post:13, topic:14546”]
TECHNOLOGY CHOICE PROGRAM:
[/quote]
Read the following article about a successful local council intervention of behalf of their residents:

http://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tech/2017/08/30/local-council-nbn-fttc-precedent/

Hopefully you may have success but at the risk of sounding trite (but I am sincere in my hope) as the saying goes “Nothing ventured, nothing gained”.

2 Likes

It is hard to comment on and use a service that you do not have currently.

2 Likes

Your comment says all it needs to :slight_smile:

Some long for the NBN … and long … and long … and long … (but isn’t the ‘trying’ fun?)

Some long for the NBN and when they get it, its a case of careful what you wished for …

Some get the NBN and its a difficult birth but not so bad once it arrives … (takes a while to recover).

Some get the NBN and think its wonderful - easy birth and no looking back …

1 Like

It seems I am always in the minority as that was my experience. The installation was done when it was promised, it worked out of the box, the speed has been what was promised and the connection has been reliable. I have to re-boot the modem about every 2 months and once we were off the air for a few hours as some facility down the line was broken.

The good news is my total package is much faster, has much more data, is more reliable and cheaper than my previous ‘broad band’ and landline phone combination. The better news is that it is very likely to stay that way unless the cattle and rabbits get WiFi.

For those who say the NBN is a total crock - it may be in some areas and using some tech but it is not 100%.

2 Likes

FTTN here, after having been promised FTTP as everyone was. I signed up for 25/5 because I did not want to have speeds lower than my ADSL2+ which generally were about 13-14/1 so 12/1 would have been a downgrade. I’ve been reasonably content with it, streaming Netflix, iView, SBSonDemand has been pretty much free of issues, and my general use (email, messaging and web) has been trouble free.

2 Likes

True - but I do know that my current ADSL2+ that sits at 12Mb/s is going to be replaced with a similar 12Mb/s fixed wireless that won’t be any quicker, will not stay up in power outages, and will still suffer from lack of capacity because the back haul is going to be over wireless and not fibre. Did I mention it will cost more for less data. Did I mention that I’m not ready for a VOIP service. Perhaps I am wrong. I don’t live in a swinging seat and 90% of the local government area is getting fibre. Unlike the old PMG which had a charter to get equal service to all, the NBN does not the same charter. It does not even have a service level guarantee. If you live in a city you will get water to your premises from a big main just down the street (FTN). For the rest of us a horse and cart will drop off water bottles as it drives past one at a time just in case some one down the street needs one too. Did I mention we will be charged more for the service and get less delivered.

The only good news is the NBN hasn’t even built the first local tower, so for another three years I’ll be able to keep my cheep and reliable ADSL2+. Hope I can convert all my bills back to paper in three years and still pay cash.

2 Likes

Read my reply to @margaret.rouse above

Do get your local area involved in an approach to your local council, State member/s and Federal Senators and MPs about the service and getting an Area Switch. [quote=“grahroll, post:13, topic:14546”]
Area Switch:
[/quote]

Fixed Wifi rely on Fibre back to the FAN (Fibre Access Node) or AN (such as the local exchange) for their backhaul, some say that there may be up to no more than 3 hops by microwave transmission to get from your tower to a tower that is supplied by fibre but NBN has so far supplied all towers by fibre from what I understand (this may have changed since I last investigated). Also in your area there is more than enough fibre network to connect all towers. This is partly why I don’t understand why they just don’t bite the bullet and place all the planned Wifi connections on FTTP or FTTC. But as I noted in my reply to margaret an Area Switch would at least give you a much better service, it is worth the effort.

You can choose currently from 12/1, 25/5 and 50/20 by Fixed Wifi but as you state the cost will be more as you ramp up the speed tiers.

• Producer, not a consumer. Requires high upload speeds. As in up-loader of content to Youtube, thingiverse, etc. Producers are becoming more common, it is about time our Internet connections could cope with this. Maybe there would be more producers of high quality content if we could get better upload bandwidth.
  • Interactive ssh sessions. Requires low latency, but isn’t for games.

Download speed isn’t a significant problem with my ADSL (although it can be inconsistent times), upload speed is the big problem. Uploading files on a low bandwidth upload connection can reduce latency significantly (unless care is taken). Both concepts that many politicians don’t seem to understand.

3 Likes

I have noticed a general slowdown in my streaming downloads of late. It used to be OK to watch iView and other commercial streaming services at night, but since mid-September many programs would suddenly pause mid-stream, several times during each episode. I’m on a Telstra Broadband Medium NBN service, fibre to the basement of our apartment block, and haven’t used anywhere near the maximum data limits, so there is no reason for the slowdown. Could be that more subscribers are on this service in my block now. Wonder how I can overcome this.

1 Like

Hi

The buffering is likely the result of Telstra not having enough CVC for that time period to cover all the users they have. Currently the average CVC purchased by RSPs is about 900 Kbps per user. When large amounts of users are on and using the net the amount of bandwidth available for you to stream is drastically cut and then your stream has to buffer to continue providing the show. Netflix and similar need about 2 Mbps of bandwidth to run in continuous mode, and good quality, without buffering. Of course some of the slow down may be due to the people in your block using the internet but this would be an extremely minimal impact compared to the CVC issue.

See the entry in the NBN Wiki:

The most likely fix for your issue is getting the RSP, in your case Telstra, to increase the CVC they purchase, the chances of this happening are very, very, very, slim and is really based on the cost to their bottom line (which is substantial). You could also try altering when you use these streaming services but this may be difficult or unsatisfactory for your lifestyle (including work).

You could also get your connection to the node in your basement checked but this is an unlikely cause of your issue particularly if it runs well at other times.

I also recommend you lodge a complaint with the ACCC about your service. This is because the ACCC are looking into the service provided by NBN Co and the RSPs (the providers to the consumers like Telstra and TPG). If enough people advise of their problems hopefully a better service will ensue after the ACCC has enough proof to take action.

4 Likes

We are fortunate that we live in a Telstra community and have cable to our house. We get what they call velocity which is high speed any way and is fast enough to watch things like SBS on demand without any problems. We also get TV and phone via the same optic fibre. I have tried to find out when it will be changed to NBN but no one can tell me. At this stage I am not bothered by NBN as I am very happy with the service we have. Bob

1 Like

We’re one of the lucky ones that lives in an area with Fibre to the House thanks to Tassie being one of the first states to get the NBN, so our NBN infrastructure was already approved for FTTH before the Coalition changed it to FTTN for everyone else. With 6 people in our house starting at the age of 16 and going up from there, we have a lot of devices using the internet all at the same time for gaming, streaming, general browsing etc. We pay for full speed and now that the general teething problems seem to have buggered off we all get to do our own thing without a hiccup via the WiFi connection on the Telstra supplied modem/router.

2 Likes