**Poll** - How do you use the NBN?

We’ve been one of the rare cases it seems with NBN. It seems hilarious to me that I moved from Belmore in Sydney to a regional town (Tamworth) and get far better internet service than I ever had lol. We built on a new land release up here and luckily for us the local council has in it’s planning guidelines that all new developments must have full service connection to each property to get approved - including NBN FTTP.
With a 5yo YouTube & Roblox addict, a wife that still works for the Sydney Children’s Hospital Network from home (and has constant Skype meetings to attend) and a gaming dad we have had minimal problems in the 6 months since our house got completed. Download speeds constantly between 90-100mps and uploads consistently above 30mps means we can all be doing intensive tasks without anyone suffering lag.
A note to those that are having lots of random disconnects each day - we’ve found that rebooting the modem each morning solves this problem to a large degree. The modem supplied to us by Optus doesn’t seem capable of a sustained uptime dealing with large data requirements each day (Sagem F@st modem). I’m guessing that the modem’s buffer gets overloaded due to the fact that a daily restart seems to fix the problem. We are sourcing our own modem that seems better suited to what the NBN can provide and will update after seeing whether this makes a difference to the daily restart requirements.
A quick note regarding the disconnects - since our NBN box is in a cupboard in the centre of our house it is easy to access, and when we had the disconnects early on you could see on the box it was not actually the NBN that was out. Fibre network connection was all green, whilst modem was reading no network access. Quick 10 second reboot of the modem and normal service resumed.

FTTP is fantastic and what the NBN should be by default, FTTN can be good depending on where you are distance wise on the network, NBN wireless is crap unless it’s the only option for getting online that you have (some internet is better than no internet). It would also be nice if the government made the retailers pay for the bandwidth on the backbone they need for the customers they sign up - would fix a lot of the lag problems people in high density areas suffer. Although nothing will fix the lag problems of the trans-pacific cable until multiple cables are laid.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your advice!

1 Like

Well! Where do I start? I’m more interested in speed and reduced cost than in paying more for large-gig-requirements for streaming. In other words, give me the gigs I want (8 or 9 or 10 maximum per month), and the reduced cost for needing only that amount.
It seems to me that the NBN targets customers who want a lot and are happy to pay a lot. Please give low-usage customers a go.

Toriko.

4 Likes

You might like to read this link and the referred to article:

1 Like

Would be nice to have more than a handful of mbps. Currently we have had dial up speed on fixed wireless NBN. Excuses trotted out by Telstra include : 2 days ago… the modem gets confused! 3 days ago…We are doing maintenance (support staff have no knowledge but assure us that everything is fine at the Telstra end). We want to go back to ADSL but are not allowed to. At least ADSL was only offline a couple of times a month not 5 or 6 times a day. Not sure if it is lack of bandwidth or just plain lack of planning. Over the whole thing at the moment.

1 Like

Make three complaints, one to Telstra, one to the TIO and one to the ACCC. It may not achieve much for you at the moment but it should help get the NBN fixed and you should get some compensation.

3 Likes

Thanks we are putting a whole village case together to pursue the abysmal service

2 Likes

Yes aidapottinger
I found that too that they will not let you go back to ADSL which on average was a faster ans definitely more reliable service…never dropped below 12. NBN at times is like going back to dial up days.
Not only does the internet keep dropping out so does the phone …if you have a blackout and need assistance, neither the phone or internet work.