Pet love (General chat)

I think that is outrageous!

Just another marketing ploy to yet again, dupe the consumer into buying their products.

2 Likes

Ultimately it is a non-profit organisation so it’s not ‘directly’ advertising Woolworths, Petstock or any other partner. And I’m sure donations do help

But ultimately I don’t think being non-profit makes them immune from criticism. And collecting donations that people believe are going to a different place is certainly questionable

3 Likes

Pawternity Leave for new pet owners.

1 Like

An article regarding advice to protect dogs and cats from snakes.

2 Likes

An interesting article regarding dogs.

1 Like

An article regarding a lady who took her son’s sick kitten to the RSPCA in Wacol only to be told they had euthanased it without consent.

Looks like competence is not currently a strong point but it does not surprise me in view of who the CEO now is.

1 Like

I ask that people please read the article before forming an opinion. The RSPCA definitely did the wrong thing, but there are facts to the story that make it more complex.

• The RSPCA vet centre in question is actually not a public clinic, it’s only for RSPCA animals. Therefore the staff presumed the kitten was a foster animal and not their pet
  • The RSPCA has stated the kitten was definitely very ill and ‘any other vet would have done exactly the same thing’ [recommended euthanasia]
  • The mismanagement here lies in communication. Staff need to be upfront and understand that even a foster animal is a big emotional investment for a family and they need to be more compassionate
5 Likes

I recently signed a petition on Change.org regarding banning an abusive dog trainer from touring Australia.

Another apparent victory for animal lovers.

2 Likes

An interesting article regarding backyard chickens.

1 Like

An absolutely disgraceful incident of a grub kicking a Toy Poodle.

1 Like

A very surprising article regarding a US woman believed to have been killed by her French Bulldog.

Just shows that people cannot be too careful regarding their dogs.

1 Like

I was about ready to sell one of my dogs last night…
I have two rescue dogs. Number One from our local rescue group who is a big 50kg black and brindle who looks a lot like a 3/4 size great dane, and is as dumb as a bag of hammers. The girl is an RSPCA rescue, all black hair-bombing labrador crossed with something like staffy, maybe some rottweiler possibly some kelpie, personality hyperactive hyperintelligent hyperloving.
Normally I love them both, but last night big fella needed to have a good (justified) bark at noisy neighbours, outside my bedroom door. He discovered the unique acoustic qualities of our hallway which make him sound about 3 times bigger than he is!

5 Likes

And you all thought your dogs were scheemers.

https://honey.nine.com.au/latest/dog-caught-stealing-cakes-during-lockdown/9e1e8017-3358-4484-aede-d9627a2fd8ab

WA farmers raise concerns that “puppy farm” legislation will affect the breeding of working dogs.

I can certainly appreciate their concerns.

Some years ago, we were driving south of Emerald when we saw 3 women on quad bikes and a young guy on a horse moving a very large mob of cattle, probably around 2,000 head, out of a gate on a property, along the verge between the fence and the highway, and into the next paddock.

The young guy was at the rear of the mob and the 3 women were between the mob and the highway,

The 3 kelpie cross dogs were in total control of the mob, and anytime one tried to break away, they were onto it in a split second. No animal managed to actually touch the bitumen.

We stopped across the highway and my wife filmed it all with her iPad.

It would have been an impossible task without dogs of their calibre.

The main reason for farmers to not be exempt from the system is that ultimately farm dogs do not always stay farm dogs forever.

Part of the purpose of this legislation is to better track how dogs are bred, and if problems arise in a dog as it ages the breeder can be traced back and warned about potential genetic issues in their lines. It also means that if a farmer sells a dog it can be confirmed that the dog was legally bred

I participated in the consultation process for this legislation and the only key issue I saw for farmers is the limit on breeding dogs when farmers do not normally get their dogs sterilised. Other than that in my opinion I don’t see how farmers can be immune from issues that affect breeders, so I don’t see why they should be exempt.

3 Likes

A Cairns driver finds out the hard way regarding driving with unrestrained pets.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/dog-on-drivers-seat-in-cairns-man-fined-police/420ff24a-c47a-4df8-b526-1e3bf5ed8fca

An article regarding how to correctly calculate a dog’s age in human years.

Still an estimation so maybe not “correctly” but more like Best Effort estimation, using the modified approach our 18 year old is somewhere around 88 human years equivalent.

1 Like

An article warning pet owners about the tick season.

At our previous residence which backed onto the bush, our minature poodle puppy almost died from a paralysis tick before she was old enough to wear a tick collar or receive any preventative medication.

At our current home which also backs onto the bush, we ensured that our little dog was not exposed until he was old enough to get Nextgard Spectra.

Whilst my wife sometimes finds a tick on herself after gardening, our little dog kills any ticks that try to attack him.

Poetic justice.

1 Like

Northern WA is also currently dealing with tickborne disease. So even though there’s no paralysis ticks it still pays to be careful!

3 Likes