Oven door shattering - has this ever happened to you?

Thanks @PhilT - you hit the nail on the head as far as oven sizes are concerned. When I looked online when this first happened, most of the wide ovens seemed to be 90cm. I’ve got drawers on either side of the oven and cutting 5cm off each side would bring me a whole new world of pain!!

Cheers
Alistair

4 Likes

My Emilia D1965Mv12 outer oven door exploded, it wasnt being used, id just got back from work as it exploded, i emailed the company after reading reviews about exploding glass doors on this make of cooker, they said it wasnt a manufacturing fault, my cooker is not under warranty, and according to the company they dont sell that glass anymore, ive got to have a complete door, these doors arent cheap why should i have to pay when i didnt do anything to cause this to happen? its disgusting, never in my whole life have i ever heard of the glass on an oven door exploding spontaneously

7 Likes

Welcome to the community @Annettex,

That is a sad photo of a sad oven. Please start by reviewing this topic and read about your consumer rights. Links have been previously posted in this topic, including by myself on 5 April and @grahroll on 7 Jan. The company’s position may or may not have any standing in law. Your rights under the Australian Consumer Law cannot be diluted but one needs to follow procedure to obtain them.

Depending on the age of your oven you may be able to claim a repair (new door if that is their field replaceable part, or a replacement glass if it can be arranged). To do so you will need to send Emilia a formal letter of complaint. There is guidance throughout the community on writing one that you can find through the community search facility.

There seems to be at least one company that can supply a new glass, posted by @mark_m on 16 Apr.

Please let us know how you proceed or if you have questions. If you are a Choice member you can also request guidance through the Choice Help service, also previously mentioned in this topic.

5 Likes

I watched a video clip many years ago which showed a large circular coffee table glass top with nothing placed on it suddenly start to break and it rapidily completely disintegrated into a pile of bits of glass on the floor.

It was not explained why the item was being filmed. Home security or premonition?

Hi @Annettex, welcome to the community.

Ouch…looking online, the door and glass, or glass itself does not seem to be available from online spare parts on-sellers. The door and glass when it was came in around $715. Ouch again when a new (lastest model) oven costs around $1700…the doors are a valuable commodity.

It would be interesting to know.

An option is to see if there is a comparable model on second hand sites like Gumtree…for example

Not sure of the model number or whether the door is the same (photo looks like it may be similar), but might be a cheaper option than sourcing a new door or glass. Buy second hand one and swap the door over. Due to its size, you will need to see if there is one in proximity to where you live. These are ones that come up in a search in the Melbourne area…

Check with the seller the model number to see if it suits.

2 Likes

Just came across this forum - first time poster!! My oven glass shattered out of the blue one night for no reason (some years ago) - the microwave had just blown up as well and it was 18 mths old. It was a Fisher and Paykel and it was out of warranty by a few years, but with some effort and a few phone calls to head office with regards to ovens and expected length of lifetime, they eventually replaced it for free. Clearly an oven door should not shatter for no reason. IMHO the oven is not fit for purpose if the door shatters within 10 years. I agree with “grahrol” it is worth knowing your rights under Aust Consumer Law. Oh and I won on the microwave as well - applied to take seller (major chain store) to small claims tribunal as it was called and they rang me a few days before the hearing and offered to pay the cost of the repair and some extra. (I had already had the microwave fixed and it was the "magnetron the major component of the microwave that was broken.)

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @catfar.

The community is a great way to share including your success with the oven door and microwave.

The extent of issues with oven door glass is self evident from the discussion. The manufacturers and second source parts suppliers might know closer the whole truth of the numbers.

Also not known is whether particular brands or designs are more likely to fail. Hence able to be minimised by good design and or product quality standards.

1 Like

Hi. On sat 21st/2 mum and i sitting outside @7.15pm. When a huge explosion noise so loud. Mum 85 was really scared i ran inside and glass everywhere. The w/hse glass oven door both sheets in door just exploded. I cleaned up still finding glass. Rang w/hse will organise tech to have look. The oven is nearly 4yrs at cost of $1559 + 200 install. I dont want a new door. Inside oven is glass. At the price and age and how well looked after it is. Oven has not been in use for 4-5 days. I am angry mum or dogs could been hurt. DO I HAVE RIGHTS TO NEW UNIT & SHOULD THIS BE A RECALL??? Thankyou. Den

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Den,

I moved your post into this topic that if you read through it should answer your questions.

Please let us know the manufacturer (w/hse → Westinghouse?) for others information, and how you go with it.

4 Likes

HI - 60 cm wide siemens pyrolytic about 15 months old.
This was about 6 weeks ago.
Glass door shattered - it was on - roasting my potatoes. Glass everywhere.
Siemens replaced it under warranty - no probs getting them to respond.

Im wondering though if these glass doors are not such a good idea - I think I would like a door with less glass

2 Likes

I have noticed that oven glass doors, the glass has become bigger and in many cases extends the whole width and height of the door. To allow this to occur, the way the glass is fixed is different to that in the past. I wonder if the method of fitting, the potential for differential heating of the glass and quality of the glass leads to its failure.

I would also be happy with a smaller glass window as one only needs to peer in to see the food being cooked rather than see every corner of the oven.

3 Likes

Chuckles. I can attest and Choice makes mention of from time to time that the presence of a beaut big glass ‘window’ on an oven door does not always have much or any relevance to being able to see whatever is on the inside. Seems the glass has become a necessary decorator item on many ovens rather than a useful feature.

2 Likes

Last night the glass in the door of our Bosch oven which is about 3 years old spontaneously shattered while dinner was cooking.
It was only the inner layer of glass so thankfully dinner was saved!
Thanks to all those who have commented before - some really great advice.
I’ve emailed Harvey Norman who the oven was purchased by - it is about 3 years old (new apartment complex). I’ll update with the response I get.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community @ksbrooks

If your HN franchise (remember you are dealing with the specific franchise, not a company called Harvey Norman) tries to fob you off to Bosch or otherwise disclaims responsibility for engaging, search the Community for posts about HN, including the penalties some HN franchisees paid for misrepresenting customers’ rights, and go straight to the formality of a ‘letter of complaint’ - again many links to tools, Choice advice, and the ACCC already posted on the Community.

We look forward, and don’t hesitate if you need any further advice or guidance.

3 Likes

There may be some useful information on this website:

which indicates that the fault is unlikely to be yours but the move by oven makers to use soda glass (possibly because it is cheaper) or imperfections in the glass.

Soda glass may not be ‘fit for purpose’ and imperfections a manufacturing fault, both of which restitution under the ACL would apply.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

4 Likes

So in great news a Bosch service person came yesterday and replaced the glass under warranty.

Harvey Norman were pretty quick to email back - he did question when we purchased the unit and was trying to say that it may be out of the two year warranty. I then replied with “Just in terms of warranty - even if it is over 2 years old - under ACL items need to be fit for purpose, and I would not expect an oven to only last for less than 3 years. The fact that the glass shattered spontaneously makes me think there was a defect in the manufacturing process - so it should be covered if it is ‘under warranty’ or not.”

I then got a reply stating someone from Bosch service would be in touch - I did need to follow up after about a week and then someone called me.

When the service person first attended they had bought the inner glass rather than the middle glass but they rescheduled and and came yesterday with the correct part - was all fixed in less than 10mins and covered under warranty!

6 Likes

Great outcome and terrific that you stood up for your rights under the ACL.

3 Likes

I am a cabinet maker and have installed hundreds of these ovens. I’ve been called many times by a distraught customer. Been accused by the manufacturer of improper installation. Followed their installation instructions perfectly. Even had customers call back after this situation and was told the replacement exploded after the repairer refitted the oven. Would I have one? Only if it’s a Miele.
It’s funny how the replacement glass seems to be better than the original.

2 Likes

You would need to hope that you fare better than this consumer.

Our Euro oven door middle glass shattered the other night. I had cooked dinner, at 200°C for around 45 minutes. Turned off the oven, had dinner, had dessert, and suddenly, Crack! The middle glass had exploded & they’re was glass all over the floor at the bottom of the door of the oven. I called Euro & because we bought the house 12 months ago from the seller, apparently the warranty doesn’t move to us as we are not the first owner. The house was 2 years old when we bought it, so the oven is around 3 years old. Euro tried to sell me another middle glass and give the name of their technician to install it. All at my cost. I would think they should replace it but am not sure what my rights are here.

2 Likes