Oven door shattering - has this ever happened to you?

Hi @Christin3, welcome to the community and unfortunate circumstances you find yourself in.

Unfortunately Euro are correct that warranties aren’t transferable, unless they are outlined in the terms and conditions associated with a warranty. This means, even if the oven was still covered by a manufacturer warranty, you would be unable to claim against this warranty as you weren’t the original purchaser of the oven (the oven was second hand when you purchased the house). I say original purchaser as they will have proof of purchase of the oven, which is needed when making a warranty claim.

Likewise with the Australian Consumer Guarantee under the Australian Consumer Law, it only applies to to original purchaser of a product and not when a product is ‘second hand’.

You might need to evaluate the cost to get and install a replacement glass compared to the cost to install a new oven. If you go down the new oven path, check the oven cavity to ensure a new oven fits otherwise you may be up for an additional cost to modify the cabinets to install a different sized oven.

Another option is see if your house and contents insurance includes accidental damage…and whether the oven glass is covered. If it is, you need to determine if claiming against your insurance is worth it.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I appreciate the advice. I will try the contents insurance. Thanks again. :smiley:

2 Likes

I am not buying this argument. When I had my home built, the original purchaser for things like oven and stovetop was the builder, not me. So, based on that, nothing was covered by warranty by the time I paid and moved in. Which is nonsensical.

I would approach the manufacturer and see if they thought it acceptable that a glass panel should shatter in normal use in a short period of time. Ovens should not be expected to fail in a major way in three years.

Perhaps they would agree to supply the glass panel gratis but you install at your expense.

The builder (or possibly the electrician) is the supplier under the ACL not the first owner/buyer of the oven. The first owner of the new house is the consumer/buyer under the ACL (noting that it is also possible that they purchase the oven themselves from a retailer). Your argument is nonsensical as most products are bought from a manufacturer by someone (wholesaler, retailer, tradie etc) before a consumer purchases it - this would mean a consumer is rarely a original purchaser/buyer under the ACL/manufacturer’s warranty. It would also mean a consumer would need to buy direct from the manufacturer to have a warranty/consumer guarantee.

This is irrelevant anyway, as the issue is the second owner of the house has the glass shattered. The first owner is the oven’s buyer (consumer with rights) under the ACL and for manufacturer warranty/consumer guarantee purposes. Unless Euro states their warranties are transferable, there is little that can be done under the manufacturer warranty or the ACL/consumer guarantee.

Checking further, Euro appliances excludes transfer of the manufacturer warranty

This warranty only applies to the original purchaser of the product and is not transferrable to any other person or party under any circumstances.

Edit: I was wondering that since the house would still be under the statutory building warranty, and such warranties are transferrable and would still apply, would this cover the oven. Unfortunately building warranties exclude appliances so that isn’t an avenue to pursue.

2 Likes

That excuse need to be added to the shonky award list next time. Seems it is a shift blame.

2 Likes

@phb has gone to some length to explain how the ACL applies in this example. Or rather demonstrate just how weak and useless our consumer protections are for fixed appliances in a residential property.

It’s a pertinent warning for anyone purchasing a home that has been upgraded or renovated by “flippers”. The likelihood is the property will present well with all new or near new appliances, many of which will have no warranty despite never having been used.

It will only take a small change to the ACL to remedy the defective thinking that gives case to such an unreasonable and unfair situation.

Certainly worthy of consideration for a Choice shonky. @BrendanMays

5 Likes

This happened to us only a couple of days ago. Asko oven, less than 3 1/2 years old. The inner glass shattered when cooking dinner.
The retailer investigated with the manufacturer and were told they don’t replace doors/glass as it’s usually a misuse problem.
Contacting the manufacturer we got the same response only claiming that it was over 4 years old (small problem with facts right there).
Having seen the number of complaints raised here, a strongly worded letter to Asko mentioning ACL is next on the agenda.

3 Likes

The strongly worded letter worked a treat. Within 48 hours Asko had, while still claiming it was our fault, decided they would have repairs done under ‘good will’. Took 10 days for the glass to be ready, 7 minutes to install.
Finally.

4 Likes

OMGGGGGGG this only just happened to me. I was cooking some salmon in the oven, smelt something like it was burning just as I was going to open the door it imploded. The whole internal glass is shattered! I’m still shaking!

3 Likes

Welcome @Phae to the Community and as you can see, you are not alone.

Was the salmon rescued? And do you want to add the details of the failing oven?

1 Like

Hi and thank you for the welcome. It’s make is Glem, never heard of it before. But it scared the living daylights out of me when it happened.

1 Like

Btw salmon was rescued as it was in a deep dish.it’s completely shattered and all 4 corners are gone and just fell to the bottom of the door. It’s a shame we can’t upload pics.

1 Like

Hi @Phae, welcome to the community.

How old is the oven?

It appears that from a quick online search that the inner glass on some Glem oven models may be replaceable. Hopefully this is the case for you as Glem is a relatively unknown brand in Australia.

The reason for the oven’s age…is to determine if it would be covered by warranty/Australian Consumer Guarantee.

1 Like

Hi could you possibly post the link as I’ve tried googling it but nothings coming up. It was in the house when we moved in, it’s a wall oven type but I’d say it’s at least 5+ yrs old. So don’t think it would still be under warranty. But really appreciate your help

Glem also sell products in Australia under the Emilia brand name.

I’ve come across both when looking to replace our existing gas free standing stove with a nominal 75-80cm wide unit. Appliances Online and Hervey Norman amongst others.

Note one source suggests that the Australian importer of Glem and Emilia branded products is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Italian based manufacturer? The retailer who sold the product has the prime responsibility for the statutory warranty under the ACL. One would hope the importer is equally keen to look after their upmarket products reputation?

This is an example:

If you know the model number, it would make searching easier.

Some ovens have inner glass which is held in by clips or screws and can he easily replaced without having to disassemble the whole door (or replace the door).