New CHOICE article - food expiry dates and online grocery shopping

Continuing the discussion from Grocery shopping online: has your supermarket ever delivered out-of-date food?: I just wanted to share the article that your feedback contributed to - thanks to everyone who participated in this thread!

6 Likes

As I have posted elsewhere, I often see the online order pickers at work in Coles and Woolies.

Their standard modus operandi is to grab the nearest item.

The meat pack at the front of the display thus making it the shortest dated unless already marked down.

The broccoli on top of the pile which is usually the most dried out.

And so on.

“When you’re shopping instore you can check the date marking on a product’s label and reach to the back of the cabinet for an alternative with a longer shelf life.”

That depends on how diligent the shelf stackers have been. I often find the freshest items at the front.

‘A Coles’ spokesperson told us, "We aim to stock only fresh products of the highest quality in all of our fresh food departments.

“When packing Coles Online orders our team members follow strict guidelines that detail the minimum use-by date acceptance – these differ across our fresh produce categories including dairy, meat, bakery and eggs.”’

Yeah right.They mark meat and refrigerated meals down initially the day before and fresh produce on the day.

3 Likes