Mitchum 'unscented' roll on deodorant antiperspirant now contains a 'scent' contrary to the marketing

I’ve long used Mitchum unscented roll on deodorant, but as @vax2000 noted in a much earlier topic, this product is still labelled as unscented but now contains an artificial fragrance given the generic term ‘parfum’ (why not just ‘perfume’?). This is likely to be a phthalate based chemical. These things are variously known and suspected endocrine disruptors (mess with your hormones) as well as causing allergic reactions for some people. Seems very dodgy to me that a product is labelled as unscented but now contains an artificial fragrance. Woolworths now have a disclaimer about this product on their website. It reads “The Mitchum Roll On range has implemented a formula change in order to improve performance. This minor formula change includes the addition of a ‘masking agent’ to neutralise scent in the new formula and to ensure that Mitchum Unscented will continue to have no noticeable smell. This neutraliser is listed on the packaging as Parfum (fragrance). If you have any concerns, please contact Revlon customer support on 1800 025 488.”

The so-called masking agent has a distinctive scent, whereas the original product was virtually odourless, so I don’t know why this change was made. I’ve raised the issue with Revlon and been fobbed off, on Mitchum’s Fb page, NSW Fair Trading, and Product Safety Australia, as well as two retailers that I’ve bought it from before realising this reformulation had occurred. Looks like a clear case of false and misleading labelling but none of the regulators seems keen to pursue this.

3 Likes

They have just released a new Unscented deodorant marked as " Original Formula " It makes no mention of Parfum on the ingredients panel but still has a noticeable scent to it .

5 Likes

I have used Mitchum unscented for many decades. I just checked my current roll on, about half used, and gave it a big sniff test. No detectable scent to me.

4 Likes

Revlon just mailed me a bottle of the ‘original formula’. Pleased to see that it lacks the ‘parfum’ ingredient - no so much because it had a scent but because of its likely chemistry.

3 Likes